The advantages of session links over ID and password sharing

Options
JeanK
JeanK Posts: 6,987 Community Manager 🌍
edited June 2023 in Blog

When it comes to remote support, the conventional method of sharing IDs and passwords to establish connections might pose, in specific scenarios, security risks and vulnerabilities. Thankfully a more secure and efficient alternative exists - session links.

In this blog post, we will explore the advantages of using session links in remote support scenarios, highlighting the enhanced security they provide and why they are more favorable than traditional ID and password sharing.

Enhanced Security

Sharing session links instead of IDs and passwords significantly improves the security of remote support sessions. Session links are unique, time-limited URLs that can only be used for a specific support session initiated by the expert. These links are typically generated by the all-new TeamViewer Remote and ensure a secure and encrypted connection between the expert and the remote user.

Limited Access

Unlike sharing static IDs and passwords, session links offer limited access rights that are specific to the support session. They cannot be used for unauthorized access or reused at a later time, providing an additional layer of protection against potential security breaches. Once the session is complete or expires, the link becomes invalid, rendering it useless for any future attempts.

Mitigating Human Error

Using session links minimizes the risk of human error associated with sharing IDs and passwords manually. Mistakenly sharing or mistyping sensitive information can lead to unauthorized access to the remote user's device. Session links eliminate this risk by automating the connection process and ensuring that only authorized participants can join the session using the generated link.

Strengthening Confidentiality

Session links preserve the confidentiality of the support session by eliminating the need to disclose IDs and passwords that could potentially be intercepted or leaked. This helps protect sensitive data and ensures that the support session remains private and secure between the expert and the remote user.

Improved User Experience

Session links streamline the connection process, making it more user-friendly and convenient for both the remote user and the expert. With a simple click on the session link, the remote user can quickly join the support session without the hassle of manually sharing IDs and passwords, reducing friction and enhancing the overall support experience.

Embracing session links as the preferred method of connecting for remote support will enhance the overall security posture and provide peace of mind for both support providers and remote users.

Find out how to provide remote support via session links here:

📄 Create and join a remote session (attended access)

If you have any thoughts or feedback, don't hesitate to share them below.

All the best,

/JeanK

Community Manager

Comments

• planmysport
    planmysport Posts: 1
    Options

This sounds nice, however, an ID and password are million times easier.

No user has whatsapp running on his/her computer and 99% closes the mailprogram for privacy reasons.

So when i mail or app the session link, they must type in the session link by hand. Offcourse that goes wrong a couple of times. In the time they need to get it right, they could have told me the ID and password many times. So they are complaining "why this?!?!?!?!"

Why not keep the ID and password as alternative?

For me this incredible user-UN-friendly change will be the reason to quit using teamviewer after 15 years. In the past weeks i have reverted back to the old teamviewer program with ID/password, simply because your session links are not practicle.

• MarKlej
    MarKlej Posts: 1
    Options

I must agree with PLANMYSPORT. Try now to explain user what must be done to send you the link. This is really not a good idea. As long as possible I will use the old version and later I will consider to change for other solution.

• image_instruments
    image_instruments Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options

This is how we currently provide user support via customized QuickSupport:

(1) The user (usually a dentist or assistant without extensive IT experience) calls us and asks for support.

(2) We ask him to open the customized QuickSupport installed locally with our application and provide us with the ID.

(3) We log in with this ID and the fix or a random password - Done.

Customers usually need immediate help within a few minutes. Additional communication via email or Whats App (hello Cybersecurity) is unrealistic.

In addition, customers in other time zones (customers are located in >100 countries) start the QA and leave it running unattended so we can access it on a delayed basis.

Will this way of working continue to be supported (without additional communication between user and support provider)?

If not, TV would not become usable for us in the future.

• JeanK
    Options

Hi @planmysport, @MarKlej,

If you are uncomfortable using session links, you can still provide support using QuickSupport.

1. You ask the end-user to download and install the QuickSupport on our website: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/
    2. After opening the QuickSupport, their ID and password will appear.
    3. You will be able to connect, as you used to do, via the new interface: Connect via ID and password.

Let me know if this would be an option for you.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• image_instruments
    image_instruments Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options

@JeanK

If customized QS executables installed at end users location still work with the new interface, everything would be fine for us so far.

• JeanK
    Options

@image_instruments

I confirm that customized QS executables are still usable with the new interface!

/JeanK

Community Manager

• ymtdan
    ymtdan Posts: 1
    Options

Useless as it does not work with existing deployment of QuickSupport apps.

The following error is displayed unless the full TeamViewer client is installed.

Safari cannot open the page because the address is invalid.

• DW_Support
    DW_Support Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options

Dear @JeanK

We are currently evaluating TeamViewer Sessions as a new way of supporting our customers.

So far, we have started adding our internal colleagues to TeamViewer contacts to enable “sharing” the remote session with our customer if necessary.

We are now facing the challenge with our partners.

Let's say, we have a customer serviced by our partner network, and we send the link for the remote session to the customer (e.g. To be troubleshot device / software) and the partner has to also join the session.

How do we add the partner to the same TeamViewer session?

We want to avoid having to add all partners as contacts in TeamViewer and then invite / share the session.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Kind regards

Marco

• JeanK
    Options

Hi @DW_Support,

Thank you for reaching out!

It really depends if your partners will have access to your TeamViewer license.

If you give them access to your TeamViewer license, you don't have to bother to invite/share the session. They will be able to connect directly with your end customer without any interaction from your side.

If you can't give them access to your TeamViewer license, the only way would be to:

1. Add the partner to your Contacts list.
    2. Establish a connection with the end customer.
    3. Invite the partner to the remote session via the remote control toolbar.

Let me know if you have any further questions! I'll be happy to assist.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• DW_Support
    DW_Support Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options

Dear @JeanK,

Thank you for the explanation. We will evaluate, if a shared licence is feasible, but I highly doubt it.

We have many partners (different legal entities) within our network, which would make a licence sharing a “bureaucratic nightmare”.

Maintain a huge team-viewer "partner-contact-list" within Team Viewer is not the right place.

Is there an interface to a CRM system or similar, which would make the maintenance easier?

Do you suppose there will be a feature to invite external / others with an invitation link or with the existing operation?

Thank you in advance for the additional input.

Kind regards

Marco

• JeanK
    Options

Hi @DW_Support,

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, we do offer integrations to CRM systems.

You can check the Integrations section in our TeamViewer Knowledge Base.

You can already invite external users with an invitation link. You can do this with the regular invitation process described here.

I hope this answers your questions. 🙂

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• tomech
    tomech Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options

Although the use of session links has its advantages, I believe it would be beneficial to retain the option of using User ID and password. Instead of replacing the existing method entirely, I suggest exploring additional services that could enhance the user experience. - Best Tom

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.