Howto make a convert a device from user assigned to company managed?

Options

Hello,

we have 534 devices in our account, that are all assigned to a single user and managed via the standard groups.

Is there any way to convert those devices to company managed and use device groups?

Best Answer

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,989 Community Manager 🌍
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Correct, you can download the latest .msi version from your Management Console and deploy it on your infrastructure.

You will find our guide here: Mass deployment - Overview

Let me know if you have any questions about the deployment!

/JeanK

Community Manager

Answers

• JeanK
    Options

Hi @sebastianreloaded,

Thanks a lot for bringing up this question.

Yes, you can convert these user-assigned devices to company devices.

All you need to do is to migrate/update them by following the automated update process here: Update your devices.

Once the update is done, these devices will be company devices. You will then be able to assign managers (with dedicated permissions) and use device groups.

Let me know if you have any questions! I'll be happy to help you further.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• sebastianreloaded
    sebastianreloaded Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Options

Hi @JeanK,

Thanks for the explanation. Sadly i'm not able to update the devices: "currently no devices can be updated".

FYI: All the devices were installed using a "Windows Host" custom module.

Do you have any hint what do (is the installed version too old, or is this maybe a firewall issue)?

Greetings

PS.: Sorry for the botched question title.

• JeanK
    Options

Hi @sebastianreloaded,

Thank you for getting back to me!

In that case, it might be the case that the TeamViewer version you run on the remote devices is too old to be migrated.

As said in the article,

Performing the update is only possible on devices running TeamViewer (Classic) 15.36 or above.

Can you please check if this is the case?

/JeanK

Community Manager

• sebastianreloaded
    Options

@JeanK The installed Version is 15.13.7 HC.

How do i upgrade in this case? Upload the new host installer and install the .msi?

• JeanK
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Correct, you can download the latest .msi version from your Management Console and deploy it on your infrastructure.

You will find our guide here: Mass deployment - Overview

Let me know if you have any questions about the deployment!

/JeanK

Community Manager

• sebastianreloaded
    Options

@JeanK we are now getting ready to update all clients. We have just one uncertainty:

Can we just use the following:

start /wait MSIEXEC.EXE /i "PATH_TO_MSI_FILE\TeamViewer_Host.msi" /qn

Or do we need to supply all the other command line arguments used while installing the first time:

start /wait MSIEXEC.EXE /i "PATH_TO_MSI_FILE\TeamViewer_Host.msi" /qn CUSTOMCONFIGID=XXXXXX APITOKEN=XXXXXXXX ASSIGNMENTOPTIONS="--grant-easy-access --reassign" SETTINGSFILE="my_settingsfile.tvopt"

• sebastianreloaded
    edited July 2023
    Options

OK, looks like you can't use the msi to update an existing installation, if it is too old. But newer versions can be updated.

• JeanK
    edited July 2023
    Options

Correct - you would need to redeploy it completely via your software management tool.

Back to your questions.

Using

start /wait MSIEXEC.EXE /i "PATH_TO_MSI_FILE\TeamViewer_Host.msi" /qn

will only install a standard Host on your devices. You'll have to assign the devices manually to your Company profile.

Regarding the second command line, (the one assigning the custom Host you created to your company), I'd rather use this:

start /wait MSIEXEC.EXE /i "PATH_TO_MSI_FILE\TeamViewer_Host.msi" /qn CUSTOMCONFIGID=YOUR_CUSTOM_CONFIG_ID
    timeout /t 30 /nobreak
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer\TeamViewer.exe" assignment --id YOUR_ASSIGNMENT_ID

This will assign all your devices to your Company. You'll then be able to assign managers to these devices/device groups and assign them respective permissions: Edit manager permissions via device groups

/JeanK

Community Manager