How to deploy TeamViewer easy access to already installed instances of TeamViewer

Options
Timrhend
Timrhend Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited July 2023 in Deployment & Integrations

A lot of people have their own instances of TeamViewer running within the company that aren't on the company deployed policy. Is there a way to import those into our policy so we can manage them or does TeamViewer have to be completely uninstalled from those devices then reinstalled with our new deployment download?

If they do have to reinstall, will they lose access to all their current connections they have setup within their TeamViewer?

Thanks!

Answers

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,990 Community Manager 🌍
    Options

Hello @Timrhend,

Thank you for your message. 🙌

In this case, the easiest way is to redeploy TeamViewer via .msi and make sure you set up Easy Access and the right Managers to your devices within your assignment configuration, as explained here: Create an assignment configuration - 7/9

Let me know if you have any further questions! I'll be happy to assist.

This will allow you to

/JeanK

Community Manager

• Timrhend
    Options

Thanks for the response, but I'm not sure if this answers my questions.

When you say redeploy, does that imply that I need to uninstall it from their device and perform a new install? Or am I able to force a new install over their current install that will add them to our current policy?

• JeanK
    Options

Hi @Timrhend,

You can mass deploy TeamViewer via the .msi file (I thought this is what you meant with "our new deployment download").

Here are the full instructions for it: Mass deployment - Overview

But I feel that I misunderstood your question. Could you please elaborate a little more on what you want to achieve?

Maybe you could describe that actual situation a little more in detail?

/JeanK

Community Manager

• Timrhend
    Options

Sure, will do.

We are a relatively small company, we aren't using intune or any specific iso to install windows, everything is done per computer. I recently started with the company and I'm trying to get all devices connected to the same TeamViewer account/policy, but we have a lot of people who have performed their own individual installs of TeamViewer to access random computers. I don't want these users to lose access to the computers they need, but I also want to get all computers on-boarded into our Management Console under the properly device group and policy.

Is it possible to take devices that already have TeamViewer installed and just push the correct policy to them that I have created in Design & Deploy so they get onboarded into our management console instead of having to uninstall and reinstall TeamViewer on their devices?

• JeanK
    Options

Hi @Timrhend,

Based on what you said, if everyone performed their own individual installs of TeamViewer, it will be challenging to unify and streamline your remote support experience.

What we recommend is to deploy this once for good (by following the article I shared above), set up all the managers and their permissions, and you will be all set.

As long as you have own individual installations and setups across your company, you won't have a clear overview of "who has access to which computer".

/JeanK

Community Manager

• Timrhend
    Options

Okay, so I guess I need to go computer to computer and uninstall TeamViewer then, that's fine.

When I use the custom module I created it's not applying the company policy I created and adding them to the management portal. I tried to delete and recreate it a couple times because I read on other posts that sometimes that helps.

I tried using the command line assignment as well using the assignment ID I created per:

https://community.teamviewer.com/English/kb/articles/109372-assign-a-device-via-command-line-8-9