Stuck at "Starting remote session"

Options

Greetings TeamViewer community

Recently we've begun having some puzzling issues at my company, that I'd like to run by you guys.

Setting the stage with some basic information:

Windows 10 22H2, spanning over different quality updates.

TeamViewer version info:

UI version: 15.47.2

Host version: 15.47.3 

On all machines tested. All machines are the same make/model. Specifically: HP Elitebook 650 G9.

Same Windows versions, updates etc.

A user complained that, when connecting to any device via TeamViewer, he is met with the "Starting remote session" screen indefinitely.

Now, indefinitely could mean a number a things, but he's waited upwards of 20 minutes before aborting and trying again.

Now, I got the ID's of the machines he attempted to access. Worked just fine.

At first I thought maybe he was blocked in some sense from those teamviewer hosts, but this proved not to be the case. Instead, I decided to try and see if it is network related in one way or another.

I then proceeded to reset network settings on his PC, winsock reset, flushdns and so on, just to cover all my bases - within reason.

However, this would prove to not solve anything. Same issue.

So I connected to his ethernet drop, and attempted connection again. Lo and behold: Now I also had the "Starting remote session" screen indefinitely. 

I waited no more than 5 minutes though, before aborting and trying via a wifi connection. This worked perfectly. I also tried via wwan/cellular connection. This also worked just fine.

Finally I tried both wifi and wwan on the users PC, and could confirm that this worked for him as well.

I created a ticket for our network team.

To my surprise though, the ticket got sent back to me with the explanation that the issue could not be reproduced on their end.

So I got a colleague to try and do the same things as I did: Connect to the same ethernet drop and connect to one of the devices. It worked perfectly for him.

So I thought: Maybe the issue has resolved itself, one way or the other?

I then connected my PC to the drop, expecting the issue to be gone... However it wasn't.

I'm at a loss right now

Do any of you great minds have any tips as to where I would go from here to get closer to the root cause?

I'm not a network guy, but I would be inclined to power on wireshark and try to see if there is anything here that could get tell me whats going on, but I'm worried I might be missing a much simpler answer.

Best Answer

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,988 Community Manager 🌍
    Answer ✓
    Options

Happy Monday SørenKL,

I talked with our experts about your issue and told them that it's not happening on WiFi or with the web app.

They all had the same reaction: "How is this possible?" 😅

As it seems to be client-related (as it works fine with WiFi) and as the full reinstallation with deleting the registry keys didn't help, we have no other troubleshooting suggestion left.

The last resort is to open a ticket and attach the logs of the impacted devices.

Our engineers will be able to have a closer look at the issue.

➜ How to submit a ticket

➜ How to find your log files

I hope we'll find out the reason behind this strange behavior!

/JeanK

Community Manager

Answers

• JeanK
    Options

Hello SørenKL, and a warm welcome to the TeamViewer Community!

I've already heard about such a scenario with another customer, and the issue was something with the registry.

The best try would be to uninstall TeamViewer completely (by deleting all TeamViewer-related registry keys) on all the impacted computers.

Sometimes, it just fixes these weird connectivity issues.

We explain how to uninstall TeamViewer completely from your devices here: Uninstall TeamViewer on Windows.

Let me know if this has fixed it for you!

/JeanK

Community Manager

• SørenKL
    SørenKL Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Options

Greetings JeanK and thanks for the warm welcome :-)

I obviously should've thought about that, but thanks for pointing it out! However, unfortunately it did not resolve the issue. There was only one folder named Teamviewer, in the HKLM part specifically, and it was empty, but it was deleted still obviously.

Again, once I was back on the wifi connection, it worked like a charm immediately.

Do you have any other ideas? :-)

• JeanK
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hmmm. The magic trick didn't work this time. 🙂

Let me ask my colleagues who are experts in connectivity troubleshooting.

I'll come back to you as soon as I can. Hope that's fine for you. 🙌

/JeanK

Community Manager

• SørenKL
    edited December 2023
    Options

Absolutely and thank you for your time - Much appreciated! Let me know if there is anything you want me to try :-)

Edit: Also, for what its worth, we tried using webversion and this worked perfectly as well, even when connected to the ethernet drop :-)

• JeanK
    Answer ✓
    Options

Happy Monday SørenKL,

I talked with our experts about your issue and told them that it's not happening on WiFi or with the web app.

They all had the same reaction: "How is this possible?" 😅

As it seems to be client-related (as it works fine with WiFi) and as the full reinstallation with deleting the registry keys didn't help, we have no other troubleshooting suggestion left.

The last resort is to open a ticket and attach the logs of the impacted devices.

Our engineers will be able to have a closer look at the issue.

➜ How to submit a ticket

➜ How to find your log files

I hope we'll find out the reason behind this strange behavior!

/JeanK

Community Manager

• SørenKL
    Options

Thanks for getting back to me :-)

Honestly, I'm just happy I'm not the only one who's wondering :-)

I'll be submitting a ticket and attaching logs!

Thanks again and have a great monday

• jeffhyc
    jeffhyc Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

Hi JeanK,

I have the same issue that SørenKL did.

Is there any solution now?

Thanks,

Jeffc

• JeanK
    Options

Hi @jeffhyc,

Do you also have the exact same issue patterns? Working via web and WiFi? Not working via Ethernet? And is the issue also isolated to only some specific devices?

Currently, as there is no known issue having these parameters, the only way would be to open a support ticket and attach the logs to it. Our engineers will be able to analyze them and try to research the issue, as mentioned above.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• SørenKL
    Options

Greetings @jeffhyc

I have not gotten around making a ticket just yet, but as JeanK said, submit a ticket - as will I. Depending on the solution, I'll update this post nonetheless, if for nothing else then to let others know how to deal with it :-)

• jeffhyc
    jeffhyc Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

Hi @JeanK ,

It got stuck in the cap screen above. I tried to connect through both PC and Andriod App. Neither of them work.

However, I can remote my other desktop computer. Wired.

Can't submit a ticket as I'm not a licenced user. :(

/Jeffc

• ChristopherBoyce
    ChristopherBoyce Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options

I have also been experiencing this issue since at least early December 2023 (stuck on the 'Starting a Remote Session' page), using the client software to connect. The funny thing is, if I log in and use the web interface to connect via browser, then it usually (9/10) connects fine - as it should.

• ffsteamviewer
    ffsteamviewer Posts: 1
    Options

I am having the same issue. It works from my home office PC to my work PC, but not the other way around. Very frustrating.

• MikeFlorida
    MikeFlorida Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options

I got a new laptop and started experiencing the same thing, stuck at "starting remote session". I went back to my old laptop, same thing. I can connect using the iOS app, no problem.

• MikeFlorida
    Options

There is no difference for me regardless if I am ethernet or WiFion the host, same results where I am not able to pass the "starting remote session box".

• Richard_Powderham
    Options

Hello,

I too have been having this problem for the last month. Come on TeamViewer support we need a solution.

Thanks Richard

• JeanK
    Options

Hi all,

Thank you for your messages!

I talked with our dedicated team, and one advice I got is to restart the TeamViewer service on both devices (remote and local).

Let me know if this as fixed the issue!

/JeanK

Community Manager

• MikeFlorida
    Options

I connected via my iPad, which had previously been configured. I then connected via my computer, without closing the connection on my iPad. I was then connected on both devices... which I did not know was possible. Since I have been able to connect on my Windows 11 computer as it should. Don't know why it worked, but it worked.

• JeanK
    Options

Hi @MikeFlorida,

Thank you for getting back to us!

Yes, it is indeed possible to connect multiple devices to a specific device. 🙂

/JeanK

Community Manager

• Alerton
    Alerton Posts: 2
    Options

Hi Gents,

First time commenter on here. I also had this issue on 1 particular PC where any connection, via the teamviewer app or web wouldn't work but would work from an iPhone. The way I managed to finally get into it was by saving the personal password for that PC in the device list. I connect to the remote PC from any of our company's computers. I'm assuming it must be a registry issue related to authentication. 🤷‍♂️

• Rbessinger
    Rbessinger Posts: 1
    Options

Has anyone found a resolution to this issue? I am having the issue on a variety of computers. They were working a couple week ago then it stopped working last week. TeamViewer will connected to machine but the video never displays on my screen. Their background will turn black showing my connection but i cannot see the screen. I can see the computer at the login prompt but after they login it give me the Fast User Switching / Disconnected Error.