MFA and connect.teamveiw.com

Options
ToddAndMargo
ToddAndMargo Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited March 29 in General questions

Hi All,

To log a support technician into my computer, I have been connecting to connect.teamviewer.com.

Is there a way to enable Multi Factor Authentication (MFA) on my side without having to install the complete Teamviewer program?

Many thanks, -T

Best Answer

• .Carol.fg.
    .Carol.fg. Posts: 1,077 Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @ToddAndMargo ,

Thanks for your question and Welcome to the TeamViewer Community!

The link connect.teamviewer.com downloads TeamViewer QuickStupport which is an executable (doesn't get installed on the device) to receive remote connections (it's not possible to start a remote session from a QuickSupport).

TeamViewer does not require an account to receive a remote session, but you must be logged in with your account to start a remote session - if you have a TeamViewer account you can activate MFA following the steps here.

If you would like to set up multifactor authentication for TeamViewer full client connections, please follow the step-by-step here: Two-Factor Authentication for connections.

I hope this information can help you! 🍀
    Best, Carol

Portuguese Community Moderator

Answers

• ToddAndMargo
    edited March 29
    Options

Hi All,

This image, from a Teamviewer support document, shows a sample connect from connect.teamviewer.com. Is the "Your ID" and "Password" considered "Single Factor Authentication" or "Dual Factor Authentication".

According to NIST

[removed per Community Guidelines]

something you know (like a password or PIN)
    something you have (like a smart card or security key)
    something you are (like your fingerprint or face)

The image seems to me to be the first factor and the password is not the security key in the second factor.

Am I missing something?

• .Carol.fg.
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @ToddAndMargo ,

Thanks for your question and Welcome to the TeamViewer Community!

The link connect.teamviewer.com downloads TeamViewer QuickStupport which is an executable (doesn't get installed on the device) to receive remote connections (it's not possible to start a remote session from a QuickSupport).

TeamViewer does not require an account to receive a remote session, but you must be logged in with your account to start a remote session - if you have a TeamViewer account you can activate MFA following the steps here.

If you would like to set up multifactor authentication for TeamViewer full client connections, please follow the step-by-step here: Two-Factor Authentication for connections.

I hope this information can help you! 🍀
    Best, Carol

• .Carol.fg.
    Options

Hi @ToddAndMargo ,

Thanks for your question!

Your ID is like the "address" of your device. Each device has a different ID number (the same way each cellphone has a specific number).

The password is what allows someone to remotely connect to your device if they already know the ID. For security reasons, it's very important that you ONLY provide your ID and password to people you TRUST. You can read more about it with our Security Handbook.

The multifactor authentication is a second layer of protection besides the password. TeamViewer offers two-factor authentication for your account and remote connections.

We also highly recommend the use of allowed list permission.

I hope this information can help you! Let us know if we can clarify any further questions. 🙋‍♀️
    Best, Carol

• ToddAndMargo
    Options

Hi Carol,

Thank you!

-T

• .Carol.fg.
    Options

Hi @ToddAndMargo ,

It's my pleasure to help! 😄

Have a great day and a wonderful Easter weekend!

Best, Carol

• ToddAndMargo
    edited March 31
    Options

Hi Carol,

From your answer, it is not clear if it is support technician side or my computer or both that are required to install a license(s) and program to set up Multi Factor Authentication (MFA) on my computer (the computer that is receiving tech support).

This is why I am asking:

PCI-DSS-v4-0-SAQ-C-r1,
    https://docs-prv.pcisecuritystandards.org/SAQ%20(Assessment)/SAQ/PCI-DSS-v4-0-SAQ-C-r1.pdf

Section 8.4. pg 43:
    8.4.1 MFA is implemented for all non-console access into
    the CDE [cardholder data environment] for personnel with administrative access.

It seems to me that "connect.teamviewer.com (TeamViewer QuickStupport)" does not meet this requirement. Am I or am I not required to purchase a copy of Teamviewer and install it on my machine to set up Multi Factor Authentication to allow a support technician to enter my computer using Multi Factor Authentication?

Yours in confusion, -T

• .Carol.fg.
    Options

Hi @ToddAndMargo ,

Thanks for reaching out with the additional questions!

TeamViewer understands that the technician (the person who starts the remote session to provide remote support to another) is the one who must have a TeamViewer account and if using TeamViewer for commercial use, the technician also must have a license. The remote partner/clients who receive the remote connection/support don't need to have a TeamViewer license or a TeamViewer account.

We also reassure you that TeamViewer is free for personal use. If you're not sure if you are using TeamViewer for commercial or personal use, please check our Blog post: Thank you for playing fair

Both commercial and personal users who want to start a remote session must have a TeamViewer account.

The TeamViewer account has as a feature the option to activate Two-factor authentication instead of using the default Trust Device.

Regarding the remote session, TeamViewer has multiple features to ensure more security including Two-Factor Authentication for connections.

@ToddAndMargo  how exactly are you using TeamViewer? Could you provide us with more details of your use case? Do you have a license? Are you using TeamViewer commercially to provide technical support to others using QuickSupport?

We take security very seriously, and I would love to help you improve your security settings based on our Security Handbook guidelines.

I'm looking forward to your feedback! 🙋‍♀️

Best, Carol

• ToddAndMargo
    edited April 1
    Options

Hi Carol,

@ToddAndMargo  how exactly are you using TeamViewer? Could you provide us with more details of your use case? Do you have a license? Are you using TeamViewer commercially to provide technical support to others using QuickSupport?

I do not have a license for Teamviewer nor does my customer.   This is why I am posting here and not just calling your tech support directly.  Although I do provide tech support to my customers with remote assistance software, it is not Teamviewer and yes, I pay for it.  But, this is not the question at hand.

I am doing the annual Payment Card Industry (PCI) assessment for this customer. This is one of the checks I have to make. 

PCI-DSS-v4-0-SAQ-C-r1,

https://docs-prv.pcisecuritystandards.org/SAQ%20(Assessment)/SAQ/PCI-DSS-v4-0-SAQ-C-r1.pdf

Section 8.4. pg 43:

8.4.1 MFA [multi factor authentication] is implemented for all non-console access into the CDE [cardholder data environment] for personnel with administrative access.

This is the second time I have posted the above (post #5).

The technician logging into my customer definitely has administrative privileges.

My customer is using "connect.teamviewer.com (TeamViewer QuickSupport)".  I DO NOT believe this is multi factor authentication.

If it is not, I must advise my customer of the situation and make recommendations as to upgrading to multi factor authentication.  I believe my customer must purchase a Teamviewer license to comply with section 8.4.1.If they need a license, which license of your 2,568,342 different licenses do they have to purchase.

Does my customer or does my customer not need to purchase a license.    I will await your response to confirm or deny.  No equivocating please.

Many thanks, -T

• .Carol.fg.
    Options

Hi @ToddAndMargo ,
    Thanks for all the information provided.

TeamViewer Support Forum is to help users with TeamViewer software-related questions - we wouldn't be able to help you with any other remote software or issue that is not TeamViewer software-related.

TeamViewer QuickSupport is a module that allows receiving remote connections from the TeamViewer Full Version. It is not possible to remotely connect to a TeamViewer QuickSupport module from any other remote software competitor of TeamViewer.

👉 If you want to provide commercial remote support to your customers via our software modules (TeamViewer/TeamViewer QuickSupport), you would need to purchase a TeamViewer license. You can contact our sales team directly by phone or text here.

I hope this information can help clarify any misunderstanding! 🍀
    Let us know if you need any further assistance.
    Best, Carol

• ToddAndMargo
    Options

Any possibility of you answering the question I actually asked?