Help with unattended access - codes expire before they can be used

Options
Remora52
Remora52 Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited April 4 in General questions

the access codes generated by my remote clients are now expiring sometimes before they can be used others are only good for 1 use. until now when an unattended code was generated by my client it would last a week maybe 10 days. My client is running the free personal edition. I have been researching this on TeamViewer support website but the instructions are vague and the new interface does not display the features and/or labels to correspond with the instructions. Can anyone provide clear instructions to guide through the process to set up unattended access that will remain in place for an extended period of time? Does my client have to have a paid license with the full product installed? I cannot find the "Host" installation - not sure if terminology has changed since the videos were made. I am fairly new to TV and finding help has become a full time job!!!!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,989 Community Manager 🌍
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Remora52,

The keep current option will only keep the current password as long as the end user does not restart TeamViewer.

If the end user restarts TeamViewer, the password will change. For security reasons, there is no way to prevent this with the random password.

If you need unattended access to the remote device, we recommend following the instructions explained here: Provide unattended remote support

Long story short, we recommend to install the Host on the remote device and assign the device to your account. Once you did this, you'll be able to connect to the remote device with a simply double click!

📌Note: The fact that you have a commercial license and your end-user has a personal license is not a problem at all. As long as you have the commercial license, you can do unlimited connections without any issues.

Let me know if this is a good solution for you.

/JeanK

Community Manager

Answers

• JeanK
    Options

Hi @Remora52,

Thanks a lot for your question!

I'll make sure to help you in your journey. 🙂

Indeed, we recently implemented a security measure that renews the attended access password by default.

This means that after each session, the attended access password will change for the remote client (full client and Host).

To change this, you can do the following.

If your remote user is running the Host, tell them to:

1. Open TeamViewer Host
    2. Go to Settings (⚙)
    3. Go to Advanced
    4. Under Advanced settings for connection to this computer, set the Random password after each session to Keep current

If your remote user is running the full client, tell them to:

1. Open TeamViewer
    2. Go to Settings (⚙)
    3. Go to Security and change the Random password after each session option to Keep current

💡 However, we recommend keeping it on Generate new, as having a changing password is always the safest option in this scenario.

Let me know if you have any further questions! I'll be happy to assist.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• Remora52
    Options

thank you

I have tried this and it did not stick - it allowed 3 logins over 2 days and now it is not working

if I know his username and password for Team Viewer will that work?

he did set one up but I cannot find where I can enter it from my end - can you explain how?

also, when in Team Viewer, how do you tell what edition is installed, Host, Client, or Full???

I have a commercial license and he has a personal copy, I think the free one, is that the problem?

• JeanK
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Remora52,

The keep current option will only keep the current password as long as the end user does not restart TeamViewer.

If the end user restarts TeamViewer, the password will change. For security reasons, there is no way to prevent this with the random password.

If you need unattended access to the remote device, we recommend following the instructions explained here: Provide unattended remote support

Long story short, we recommend to install the Host on the remote device and assign the device to your account. Once you did this, you'll be able to connect to the remote device with a simply double click!

📌Note: The fact that you have a commercial license and your end-user has a personal license is not a problem at all. As long as you have the commercial license, you can do unlimited connections without any issues.

Let me know if this is a good solution for you.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• Remora52
    Options

Thank you JeanK. I will try this approach of assigning the remote computer to my account - it will make my life easier.

• JeanK
    Options

You're welcome!

If you need any further help with the setup, please let me know!

I'm just one message away. 🙂

Have a great day,

/JeanK

Community Manager

• jono5900
    jono5900 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

How do I get a Permanent Password so that when using Team Viewer remotely on my Tablet to gain access to my Desktop Computer at home, I don't get denied because the temp password has changed in the time that I'm away? Thanks in advance..