Changing Windows User

Options
ConeWH
ConeWH Posts: 14 ✭✭

I have an old Windows 10 PC, on my internal network, that does not have a keyboard, monitor, or mouse attached. I use TeamViewer's WOL feature to turn this PC on and then access it via my Windows 11 PC.

I have at personal user, since this is only used by me for testing. The Windows 10 PC needs to have the User changed to the same User I have on my Windows 11 PC. The reason for this is because I have software that keys off of the User for verification.

My question is:

If I change the User, on the Windows 10 PC, will it have any affect on TeamViewer being able to access it from my Windows 11 PC?

Best Answers

• ConeWH
    Answer ✓
    Options

I have a PC that is running Windows 10. I use it for testing only. This PC has not monitor, keyboard, or mouse. I have configured it for WOL.

My Windows 11 PC is my primary PC. I will switch desktops, on my Windows 11 PC, to run TeamViwer. I do this so that there is less confusion. When TeamViewer connects I go to full display and it is just like I am sitting in front of the Windows 10 PC.

I had a problem on my Windows 11 PC. After working with Microsoft and Dell it was determined that I had to Reset my Windows 11 PC and reload Windows 11. The good news is the problem seems to be corrected. When I did this I had to reload all programs, one of which was TeamViewer, and this caused my ID to change and my classification to change from Personal Use.

I am not sure what satisfied the requirement but somehow I got my Personal Use classification reinstated. I only use TeamViewer to access the computers on my in house network and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize this.

I have some software that keys off of my user. I don't know how Micorsoft determines what the user is going to be but even though the Windows 10 and Windows 11 PC were setup the same, and I am logging in to my Microsoft account on both the Users are different. They were the same prior to the Windows 11 Reset.

I got the software manufacture to change the user so I can use the software on my Windows 11 PC. Somehow I need to change the user on my Windows 10 PC. Microsoft suggested using the "netplwiz" command to change the Windows 10 user. I can't create a new user, on the Windows 10 PC, because, strange as it seems, the Windows 10 PC user folder is the name of the user I need. I have read about this command and found mixed reviews.

Because of all the problems I had getting reclassified, as a Personal User, I don't want to do anything to jeopardize this. One of the articles I read indicated that the PC had to be reloaded after using the "netplwiz" command. I am not worried about my Windows 10 PC because it is for testing only. I am worried about TeamViewer being able to function as it does today.

So my question is if I change the user does TeamViewer care and if I have to reload do I have a TeamViewer classification problem?

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,989 Community Manager 🌍
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @ConeWH,

Thanks a lot for getting back - it helped me to understand your concerns.

I can confirm that what you describe is unrelated to the TeamViewer classification issue you had.

As your TeamViewer ID got reset, everything is sorted from TeamViewer side. This won't impact the users you have set up on Windows on both computers.

Let me know if you have any further questions! I'll be happy to assist.

/JeanK

Community Manager

Answers

• JeanK
    Options

Hi @ConeWH,

Thanks for reaching out!

I am a little confused about the part where you say you want to "change the user".

Could you explain a little more what you exactly mean?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• ConeWH
    Answer ✓
    Options

I have a PC that is running Windows 10. I use it for testing only. This PC has not monitor, keyboard, or mouse. I have configured it for WOL.

My Windows 11 PC is my primary PC. I will switch desktops, on my Windows 11 PC, to run TeamViwer. I do this so that there is less confusion. When TeamViewer connects I go to full display and it is just like I am sitting in front of the Windows 10 PC.

I had a problem on my Windows 11 PC. After working with Microsoft and Dell it was determined that I had to Reset my Windows 11 PC and reload Windows 11. The good news is the problem seems to be corrected. When I did this I had to reload all programs, one of which was TeamViewer, and this caused my ID to change and my classification to change from Personal Use.

I am not sure what satisfied the requirement but somehow I got my Personal Use classification reinstated. I only use TeamViewer to access the computers on my in house network and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize this.

I have some software that keys off of my user. I don't know how Micorsoft determines what the user is going to be but even though the Windows 10 and Windows 11 PC were setup the same, and I am logging in to my Microsoft account on both the Users are different. They were the same prior to the Windows 11 Reset.

I got the software manufacture to change the user so I can use the software on my Windows 11 PC. Somehow I need to change the user on my Windows 10 PC. Microsoft suggested using the "netplwiz" command to change the Windows 10 user. I can't create a new user, on the Windows 10 PC, because, strange as it seems, the Windows 10 PC user folder is the name of the user I need. I have read about this command and found mixed reviews.

Because of all the problems I had getting reclassified, as a Personal User, I don't want to do anything to jeopardize this. One of the articles I read indicated that the PC had to be reloaded after using the "netplwiz" command. I am not worried about my Windows 10 PC because it is for testing only. I am worried about TeamViewer being able to function as it does today.

So my question is if I change the user does TeamViewer care and if I have to reload do I have a TeamViewer classification problem?

• JeanK
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @ConeWH,

Thanks a lot for getting back - it helped me to understand your concerns.

I can confirm that what you describe is unrelated to the TeamViewer classification issue you had.

As your TeamViewer ID got reset, everything is sorted from TeamViewer side. This won't impact the users you have set up on Windows on both computers.

Let me know if you have any further questions! I'll be happy to assist.

/JeanK

Community Manager