Reinstalling a computer adds it as a new managed device

Options

Hi.

We've recently begun testing deploying the Teamviewer host using Rollout set-up where we assign them using the "assignment --id" function. However we experience that after a reinstallation of a device the device appears as a new device in the Managed devices with a new ID even though it's the same computer using the same computername.

This is off course an issue since it then eats up additional licenses from our pool of managed devices.

How can this be prevented? I'd assume that Teamviewer use a technique similar to the hardware ID used by Microsoft for Autopilot enrollment to ensure that the same device is always recognized with the same ID even after a reinstallation.

Making things worse it’s not easy to clean up the old devices to free up the orphaned devices because we also experience that even though the device is listed 2 times in the list of Managed devices with the same name and different ID’s the Last online status are updated on both devices making impossible to figure out which one is the correct one unless the device is online (then the correct device is marked with the online icon to the left of the name) or unless you contact the user and have them send the current ID. On top of that you’d also have to scroll though the list manually to identify those devices that appear more than once since you cannot filter the list to displaying those that have duplicate names on the list. If we at least had the option of exporting the list to Excel it would be pretty fast to identify duplicates however I haven’t found a function in the portal to do that.

Am I overlooking an obvious solution here?

Regards, Martin