Understanding log files

Options

Hi folks

I’m new here and I joined the community to find out more about TeamViewer before downloading and using the software.

I’ve seen some posts about hackers accessing a remote/host computer so I’m a bit anxious about the risks involved in using TV. One thing I’ve noted is the importance of log files in detecting unauthorised use of a computer, although I imagine a hacker would use a fake/proxy IP address to protect their identity. However, from what I understand, file-logging is not automatic from installation – you have to switch it on under ‘Extras - Options – Advanced’ (as per: https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/TeamViewer-General/security-related-logs-and-monitoring/m-p/5629/highlight/true#M1963). Is there a reason for this? Is it due to data protection requirements where I need another user’s consent to log files or has this always been a feature of TV since it was first developed?

As for the content of the log files, what do they record other than who logs in or out of a remote computer? For example, if a person remotely opened up Word or Excel on the host computer, drew up a document or spreadsheet, saved it on the host computer, then openened a browser, logged into an email account and sent the document/spreadsheet as an attachment, would each of those actions be logged?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I just want to make sure I understand the advantages to logging, especially if I have to explain it to someone I might use TV with.

Comments