Difference between EXE and MSI for deploy

Options

Hello,

We just bought a corporate licence for our organization and they asked me to deploy the host on our network but I'm having some issue with the customization and installation of the host.

I can download the MSI (vanilla brand) and EXE (custom brand) with no problem but doesn't seem to have a branded MSI install. The MSI install with no branding and the EXE install my brand but none are able to use the REG file during install.

I have tried to name the REG as follow:

• TeamViewer_Settings.reg
  • TeamViewer_Host.reg
  • TeamViewer_Host-idcxxxxxxx.reg

All three aren't used during the install. Same thing with the EXE or MSI file. Also, the /quiet switch on the MSI doesn't work, /passive work. The EXE version have my customization and the MSI (with and without the idc) doesn't. Both lack my registry setting.

So my questions are:

• How can I have my customize install version of teamviewer (is it the EXE or the MSI) ?
  • Is it possible to configure by default both the password and exclusively the LAN during install ?

Comments

• tblackerby
    tblackerby Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options

I am having similar issues.  The customized MSI installation is not picking up the TeamViewer_Settings.reg file from the same folder.  In addition, the install never generates the AssignmentData.json file, so TeamViewer_Assignment.exe fails.

• Forwax
    Forwax Posts: 3
    Options

I don't know about the JSON part but this is what I use to be able to install the packages to my liking, this is my BAT file:

@echo off
    msiexec.exe /i "%~dp0TeamViewer_Host.msi" /qn
    reg import TeamViewer_Settings.reg /reg:32
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer\TeamViewer.exe" --ReloadSettings

You'll need to copy the 3 files on the local computer and use an admin command prompt to install it or you'll get an error about not being administrator, even though you could be network admin. This method will work with MDT but I'm not sure about GPO deployement.

Hope it help you.

• tblackerby
    tblackerby Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options

It turns out in TeamViewer 13 the Assignment options are all self-contained in the MSI file.  (Probably the .exe, too)  Instead of using the TeamViewer_Assignment.exe you should instead specify options during the application installation.

For example, my install script now looks like:

msiexec /i "%~dp0TeamViewer_Host-idcabc1234.msi" /qn /L*V "%temp%\teamviewer_inst.log" APITOKEN=*******-******************** CUSTOMCONFIGID=abc1234 DESKTOPSHORTCUTS=0 IMPORTREGFILE=0

The importregfile does attempt to import the TeamViewer_Settings.reg file, but keeps failing.  I'm working on figuring that out now.