Why am I forced to update to version 12

Answers

• SHERGENR
    SHERGENR Posts: 6

It wasn't clear to me what you have done to mitigate this issue.  I have the same issue, very frustrating.  I have tried using the "invite user" which references my version of TV11, but that doesn't seem to work - I think it always loads 12 or doesn't accept the downgrade until I uninstall it from their computer.   

I have created a QuickJoin and a QuickSupport.  Question:  Is there anyway to make the Quick App stick on their computer (like the TV icon)?  Or do I have to resend the QJ or QS link everytime I need to do something with them?

• EC
    EC Posts: 1

I've noticed TV is now going to the subscription-only route. As an existing v. 11 user, this means $300/ year, after I paid $800 for a one-time license only six months ago. That is not right.. I'll stick with v. 11 for now, but at some point I'll be looking for alternatives. 

• slynnwill
    slynnwill Posts: 1

No one has addressed how we deal with "BUGS" in the version that we paid for.  How are we supposed to get those issues fixed, especially when they make the product we paid for unusable unless we upgrade.  

I will definitely be looking to move my corporate remote support to another solution soon.

• 12 is complete **bleep**. Getting authentication rejected two days in a  row. I can connect from that computer to this one, but other way authentication rejected. WHY???? no idea. I hate this piece of **bleep**

• We are experiencing horrible usability issues.  The users are installing version 12 (possibly other vendors giving support) we send a link to run version 11.  It downloads it, it opens and then says its incompatable again.  It appears to not kill existing version 12, or runs that instead.  If they have version 12 installed it seems almost impossible to connect even by invite.

Worse we paid for version 11 just a few months before version 12 becaause of this very issue with our last version.  

Paid full price.  Version issues, paid full price again, a month later version issues again.  This is a horrible customer experience teamviewer.  If it continues to make us look bad we will simply have to stop using it.  We cant and should not have to pay for a full version every time you decide to put out an upgrade.

• Nena
    Nena Posts: 1

Whaou, 

Thank you everyone for sharing your experience. After reading the comments, my company will double think whether we would go with this solution.

Nena

• DFWKen
    DFWKen Posts: 12 ✭✭

After owning TV 11 for a bit over a year, I decided to update to TV 12; not because it has or does anything that I need; but instead to support the company.   TeamViewer 11 does evertyhing I need for it to do.  The only feature I need and use is to operate other computers remotely, like my own at home, my 92 year old mothers when she goofs it up, and the piddly number of clients for which I provide technical support.  

So when I looked at updating, I see that TeamViewer has gone to a subscription . . . and it ain't cheap!  In fact, I'd be in the hole if I subscribed.  I don't have enough revenue to pay for a subscription.  

So I'm forced to stick with my TeamViewer 11 lifetime subscription.  I have the feeling that I'm not the only client that has had to make this decision.   I feel the need to support the company, but there's no way I can do that with their new pricing schedule.  

Ken

• TruearT
    TruearT Posts: 3 ✭✭

We, (a lot of sad users) recomend you not to buy this **bleep**. The same problem you will get when version 13 is released, as with 14 and on forever.
    We regret thowing awy our money whit this company.

• Joust
    Joust Posts: 4 ✭✭

this is the sort of thing i was hoping for. THis should send the message to Teamviewer that thier policy will cost them new customers by screwing over thier existing customer base.

• Since no one from TV corporate must monitor these forums, I will post an update and solution to my issues.  I have successfully deployed my TV11 QuickJoin and QuickSupports with users of Version 12.   I too had the same issues when using with clients that had version 12.  I have found what I believe to be a solution.

Before asking my client to clik on the link that I have sent them, I ask them to check their "SysTray" (lower right corner) and look for a teamviewer icon.  If the TV Icon is present in the sysviewer it is imperative that you turn this off PRIOR to cliking on the QuickLink.  Ask the client to right clik the TV Icon and select "exit Team Viewer".  After doing so ask them to click on the QJ or QS link and follow the protocol from there...If they start V12 prior to this it will be a nightmare.

• Since no one from TV corporate must monitor these forums, I will post an update and solution to my issues.  I have successfully deployed my TV11 QuickJoin and QuickSupports with users of Version 12.  

Before asking my client to clik on the link that I have sent them, I ask them to check their "SysTray" (lower right corner) and look for a teamviewer icon.  If the TV Icon is present in the sysviewer it is imperative that you turn this off PRIOR to cliking on the QuickLink.  Ask the client to right clik the TV Icon and select "exit Team Viewer".  After doing so ask them to click on the link and follow the protocol from there...

• Hmmm,  If only my users could understand terms like SysTray.  Or if closing Teamviewer here actuall always deleted all running tasks (it does not).  Even over the phone walking them through opening Taskmanager is a difficult process. Some users can be told to look in the bottom right corner of the screen and finall ask is that near the windows icon (Doh, that is on the left, now look on the right)

We use tools like teamviewer to avoid difficult phone conversations like this.  But when yu need to have a technical conversation just to get the tool running - somewaht defeats the purpose.

I just hate that it offere a free upgrade - even to users with paid licences.  IT IS NOT FREE.  If you havbe a support desk that has a paid version that is a version behind - then as an end user it will appear to be free but the cost to you may be an extensive waste of your time killing the loaded version and installing an old version before every support call.

One would think I could then uninstall teamviewer, load the older version and instruct it not to seek and offer updates (like almost every other application allows).  Not teamviewer - no such setting.  Everyone gets the offer for a FREE upgrade to the teamviewer version nightmare.

• Appears a great solution - Unless the client has teamviewer 12 running.  The link will not download quickviewer 11 and then fail to run saying teamviewer 12 is running.  The user has to be smart enoughg to close the tray program and possibly launch task manager and kill any remaining teamviewer 12 tasks. 

If the user is smart enough to manage that - then maybe they would not need teamviewer support. Most user issues are simple computer illiterate users.  The steps above are simply enough to be too hard.

• Maybe I am not seeing the big picture, but all of these complaints seem to have a very easy solution, atleast a good portion of the problems listed, if you have a teamviewer corporate account. 

First you go to > Login.teamviewer.com

>>  Proceed to "Design & Deploy" and setup customized "QuickSupport", "QuickJoin", and "Host" installers for the version you have paid for. Then you switch to the "Policies" tab and setup a general policy with whatever settings you'd like, but make sure to add  the following policy settings >> "Update Teamviewer automatically"  and set it to "Disabled" & "Enforced"(only applies to custom host after you apply policies to groups and that installer). Add the "Check for new version" and disable/enforce that as well. 

Note that you can apply these policies to groups in your contact list so long as they are on your version, even if its not the customized installer. However, once you created the customized installers you can point your clients to >> get.teamview.com/page-name-for-installer (hint: use company-installer-type+version >> ex: get.teamviewer.com/company-Hostv11). 

Hope this helps... 

• Not a useful solution (if I understand it correctly).  We have a corporate licence (yes but our users are independent businesses.  We have no policy control over what they do.  All the invites we send to invite them to version 11 fail if they have installed version 12 (or higher now).  The launch just fails and we have to then blindly talk them through killing the tasks or uninstalling.

I'd love to install it agin for them and set it not to continue to offer or look for upgrades.  But there is no such setting in teamviewer.  And it continues to offer the FREE upgrade.  They just dont say that while it costs nothing it will cost you in support.  Even our coorporate version continues to tell us of the new version with a footnote "You may need a new licence" (MAY?)

Teamviewer is just FRUSTRATING.  Incompatable versions, upgrade offerings to make them all incompatable.  And no controls to turn these upgrade offerings off.

• Tamir
    Tamir Posts: 1

This does not fix my problem. It seems Teamviewer support refers all problems with the upgrade harrassment to this guy's quicksupport solution. I have Teamviewer Host 13 (a native Linux app, or so I'm told) running on Ubuntu 17.10. I am trying to remotely control it using Teamviewer 12 (not a native Linux build but rather a WINE wrap) on another Ubuntu 17.10 and I am getting this message:

Pressing "OK" does nothing.Pressing "OK" does nothing.

I can't understand why Teamviewer 12 cannot connect to Teamviewer Host 13. It would seem obvious that one version difference in levels of technology would be compatible.

• msg
    msg Posts: 27
    You can "connect down" but not up. Ex., with TV12, you can connect to any version 12 or earlier. If you were to downgrade your host to v12, you could connect.
  • Recap:

Never Stated the following

- Previous versions are compatible with future re-visions of teamviewer.

- Updates aren't worth it. Upgrades are best implemented during a revisions half life, or 3/4th life-cycle.

- It would be easy or solve all your problems immediately.

The following was stated:

If you have a corp license you can : 

• Create customized "quicksupport" and "host" installers that can come pre-packaged with policies or be sent to a default group.
    • These customer installers can be accessed with a customized download link-space provided by Teamviewer where the /suffix is customized by you. ex. get.teamviewer.com/evilcorp.
    • Policies enable us to create regulatory parameters such as "Do not updated", "Never check for updates", "Don't allow teamviewer to shutdown", etc etc. 
    • Policies can be applied to the customized installers either individually or by assigned group.

You can take control of your environment if the effort is put in and a lot of repitition. I realize these recommendations / informational easter eggs are NOT immediate resolutions, but given time and effort you can take control of your environment, no matter how volatile or change prone, with the simple measures suggested above. 

• You narrow view of the world is typical of many software inplementers.

We are a coorporate with a coorporate licence.  However, the customers we service are not part of the corporate.  We can impose no policy on them or control them in any way. So while you say "given time and effort you can take control of your environment" you are looking at a very simple model - coorporate it that provides internal IT support only.

We do send out quick links so they can download the correct version and connect - however when teamviewer detects another version running it does not exit that and install the requested version - it just aborts.

• I am only repsonding to give you insight. I would not have replied if I did not seek to impress some sort of value or benefit. Personally, I've worked in MSPs most of my career where we have multi-tenant setups, HA-hardware, VDI only tenants, etc. 

Now, I will be level in saying that I was providing the most "ideal" usage scenario, but one thing that working at a (good) MSP taught is that a non-conformed customer (i.e. Catering to individual and specialized setups) is horribly time consuming and does, to an extent, pitfall any efforts to automate. I realize that in your environment you might be working with clients and endpoints that might or might not be subject to corporate oversight and thus have a lot more free range, or perhaps you work with a BYOD environment.  In either scenario, what you're doing with the quick links is certainly along the lines of what I was suggesting.

Further, you could /use the quick links to get in, remove non-compatible versions of teamviewer and install the correct, customized version - using a batch to simplify this process. 

At the end of the day I am only trying to give suggestions wherein the developer doesn't have any "authorative" answers/suggestions other than "upgrade" so you don't have to deal with x, y, and z. Do I think their business practice is skew? No, they are here to make money just like the rest of us. Do I think they could be a little more graceful with their delivery and complimentary benefits (like a year or two of upgrade protection either with purchase or for small additional fee)? Yes, absolutely, but in this imperfect scenario I can only provide you with what I've come to know. Sorry if that isn't enough, good luck!  

• I am sorry you appeared to take my response as a criticism.  That was not intended.  I was trying to state fact but when I saw your responce it was obvious I was not clear.  Appologies.  Your info could certainly be of assistance to some of the community facing this issue.  

I think what annoys me most is that we even need to find a solution.  The incompatability is just a sales mechanism.  Every version cannot be incompatable with the others (Im sure they are not rewriting the protocol every version).  They have now release version 13.  Again incompatable with other versions.

And if I send an invite to v11 and they have 12 or 13 installed and idle - it should exit and make way for the requested version.  It should not abort leaving the user helpless.

• Greetings @Paulden,

I really appreciate your response. Sometimes text is hard to decipher given it doesn't contain or carry tonality. However, onto business :robothappy:

@Paulden wrote:

I think what annoys me most is that we even need to find a solution.  The incompatibility is just a sales mechanism.  Every version cannot be incompatible with the others (Im sure they are not rewriting the protocol every version).  They have now release version 13.  Again incompatible with other versions.

- I'd agree that it is unlikely they'd be re-writing the entire protocol between each major version (much less re-visions), but it's possible they update specific security protocols or deprecate others. An example that is somewhat related would be Apple's removal of PPTP VPN connections in IOS 10 then in 11 they upped the encryption grade requirements for the protocols allowed. 

@Paulden wrote:

And if I send an invite to v11 and they have 12 or 13 installed and idle - it should exit and make way for the requested version.  It should not abort leaving the user helpless.

- I'd agree that customized installers / executables  should be shutting down current installed versions and or forcing the uninstall so that version x.x can be installed as part of our corp licenses. That would be fantastic! 

Trudging forward...

Even though it is likely others have voiced other concerns, opinions, suggestions, etc.. maybe as license holders we should both put in a request for the following features or modifications to past, present, and future versions.

If I were to create a list it would go like this...

Suggestions:

• Provide at least 1 year of upgrades for free, guaranteed. This includes major version changes.
    • Add option to purchase 2, 3, or 4 year software assurance for a reasonable price during initial check or within first 30-90 days of purchase. Price should be something along the lines of 15% of purchase price for 1 year, 12.5% for each year in 2 year agreement, 10% for each year in a 3 year agreement, etc etc. 
    • guarantee encrypted connections to newer soft-version-endpoints up to 2 major revisions passed purchased version(4 year cycle being a full cycle for one version imo), thus giving you accessibility (but not corporate control / customization) of future soft in  the specific cases clients have pre-existing, but newer installations of teamviewer.
    • guarantee of un-encrypted connections to new soft-version-endpoints up to 4 major revisions passed purchased version, thus providing similar benefits as the aforementioned point, but less secure. 
    • Corporate customized "Quicksupport", "Host Installer" and "Full installer" should do the following:
      • Shut down any current instance.
      • Provide option to uninstall current version leaving settings intact and zipped into a backup folder within the teaviewer directory. 
      • Provide option to install for a set amount of time (ex 1 to 30 days) in case the client is utilizing contracted support.
      • Build "QuickSupport" into installer versions in case of Admin credential issues wherein if the endpoint client can't elevate to required access levels, the installer can default to putting a time sensitive (or not) "QuickSupport" module within a temp directory, shut down any installed instances if any, and run the "QuickSupport" modules.

These are just some ideas I'd like to see implemented and as I've said prior, as paying customers we both could put our weight in to the suggestions sections on the forums / contact teamviewer via email with the suggestions. While it doesn't fix the "present" it might lead to better future results - because let's face it, despite the current limitations, Teamviewer is a top-notch product and for the most parts it works well (certainly better than most VPN soft). What do you think, @Paulden?

• Not withstanding the overall issue regarding forward compatibility, the solution that I have posted has worked without fail.  BTW, I am not a tech support person and my clients are likely as anti-tech as they come (farmers and cattle feeders).  They seem to be able to follow my instructions regarding the systray and even task manager.  It's not optimal, but it gets me through the night.  My biggest issue right now is that I wish I knew how to make the QJOIN/QSUP links stick on my clients desktop (have tried making it a shortcut, but it always changes when I try to email it to them).

I find it absurd that TV doesn't figure out a better way to mollify their installed and PAYING base, but that is their issue.  I won't recommend anyone to them.  I find it ironic that at the top of this thread, they have a vaguely worded link to a solution:  Upgrade to 13!  LOL

Anyway, if anyone has any solutions please post, but I can't waste anymore energy railing against the machine.

• Joust
    Joust Posts: 4 ✭✭
    @SHERGENR wrote:

Since no one from TV corporate must monitor these forums, I will post an update and solution to my issues.  I have successfully deployed my TV11 QuickJoin and QuickSupports with users of Version 12.  

All the more reason to dump TeamView. terrible support.  complaints fall on deaf ears.

• I have a software company too, with embedded TeamViewer Remote Support. But if a client decides to download a new TeamViewer (maybe the free one) and has it running (as they do) then our version of Remote Support doesn't work, which makes us look stupid and penny-pinching.

Summary: The worst pricing policies of any software company, bar none.

• Ah yes, but then you wouldn't be forced to pay the ridiculous upgrade costs.

• msg
    msg Posts: 27

@NeilInOz51 wrote:

I have a software company too, with embedded TeamViewer Remote Support. But if a client decides to download a new TeamViewer (maybe the free one) and has it running (as they do) then our version of Remote Support doesn't work, which makes us look stupid and penny-pinching.

Summary: The worst pricing policies of any software company, bar none.

I've had this happen before, as well, and agree, it can be a little embarrassing trying to explain the difference between paid/free, why I'm running a previous version, and then the subsequent hassle of working around it, and then requesting that users/clients not upgrade in order to keep unattended access working properly.

I just had a discussion with a TeamViewer rep recently regarding pricing frustrations.  I was provided with some general info regarding what's going on behind the scenes for TeamViewer to keep things going.  There's a lot ot consider.  Granted there are some hassles with the way things are currently working with TeamViewer, but it's still my go-to pro tool for Remote Support.  I'd be lost without it, but I agree, I wish it were either

1. Cross version friendly, at least for remote control, or
    2. More affordable to stay current.

I like to get at least 3yrs out of a software before having to upgrade.  I don't think that's unreasonable, even with as quickly as things are moving these days.  If a new feature comes out during that time that I just have to have, I'll pay to upgrade.  With internal TeamViewer use, this is easier to manage, but externally, I've had the same problem as Neil.

With the subscription plan, I eat up my TeamViewer software budget in 2yrs instead of 3yrs, not to mention, that cost is for one user only, whereas my perpetual license covered three concurrent users.  That's a huge cost spike, and we don't use all the new functionality, but again I do understand TeamViewer's got some serious challenges to meet.

I don't know what I'm going to do when the hassles of using a previous version of TeamViewer begin to outweigh its benefits.  We can't afford to stay with TeamViewer with current subscription rates.

• wmelton1
    wmelton1 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited January 2023

The process can always be better, and the only way to make it better is with the peoples input.

The new features that TeamViewer implements every year are bold, vivacious, and furious, I love Teamviewer software. I would like to believe that every employee of TV is passionate about making great software, and that you all want the best remote software platform possible for your customers.

If you want to continue raising the bar on providing world class remote software you need engagement from the people and that’s what did not happen. Using your software is how I feed my family so I take this very serious with the recent chances that prohibit me from handling business efficiently.

What commitment have you shown to your customer base by initially providing software that you pay for a one-time fee and you own the license, but as the platform changes with new updates is not able to work in compatibility forwards and backwards causing complete confusion.

TeamViewer I am requesting the following:

**-The subscription should be more affordable/flexible for a guys/gals who run a business and/is a one man shop.

**-Discount provided for users who pay the software full price annual cost with reasonable upgrade paths that are within reach.

**-If you purchase the software as a one-time license for that specific version that (version) should be able to connect forwards/backwards with any version for as long as the version is supported and provided a end-of-support date. *We already know we won’t be using certain updated features, generally most people just want remote support and that’s it. I don’t care how long the machines uptime is, as I appreciate the feature implementation.

**-The ability to allow another connection or piggy back off a bridge connection if you’re a licensed user (The reason is, why spend $1000.00 for another channel when it’s only going to be used once or twice a year when you’re the sole technician doing the work. Occasionally we need help but not frequent.)

I left **Third Party Product** to come to Teamviewer because I wanted to have a solution that I could use by saving up $$$ to buy a solution permanently one time and use it for years until there was a specific feature set I wanted in a newer version with/ overall saving money from not recurring a monthly subscription every month for years.

We as consumers are asking you to re-think this and correct the wrong.

The next thing I think needs to happen is file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the State Attorney General. You sold me software that I am unable to use. Its so frustrating to have one version and you can’t help another person because they are higher version.....fix this.........

• wmelton1
    wmelton1 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited January 2023

got thst

The process can always be better, and the only way to make it better is with the peoples input.

The new features that TeamViewer implements every year are bold, cutting edge, and state of the art, I love Teamviewer software. I would like to believe that every employee of TV is passionate about making great software, and that you all want the best remote software platform possible for your customers.

If you want to continue raising the bar on providing world class remote software you need engagement from the people and that’s what did not happen. Using your software is how I feed my family so I take this very serious with the recent chances that prohibit me from handling business efficiently.

What commitment have you shown to your customer base by initially providing software that you pay for a one-time fee and you own the license, but as the platform changes with new updates is not able to work in compatibility forwards and backwards causing complete confusion.

TeamViewer I am requesting the following:

**-The subscription should be more affordable/flexible for a guys/gals who run a business and/is a one man shop.

**-Discount provided for users who pay the software full price annual cost with reasonable upgrade paths that are within reach.

**-If you purchase the software as a one-time license for that specific version that (version) should be able to connect forwards/backwards with any version for as long as the version is supported and provided a end-of-support date. *We already know we won’t be using certain updated features, generally most people just want remote support and that’s it. I don’t care how long the machines uptime is, as I appreciate the feature implementation.

**-The ability to allow another connection or piggy back off a bridge connection if you’re a licensed user (The reason is, why spend $1000.00 for another channel when it’s only going to be used once or twice a year when you’re the sole technician doing the work. Occasionally we need help but not frequent.)

I left **Third Party Product** to come to Teamviewer because I wanted to have a solution that I could use by saving up $$$ to buy a solution permanently one time and use it for years until there was a specific feature set I wanted in a newer version with/ overall saying money from not generating a monthly subscription every month for years.

We as consumers are asking you to re-think this and correct the wrong.

The next thing I think needs to happen is file a _____ with the Better Business Bureau and the State Attorney General. You sold me software that I am unable to use. Its so frustrating to have one version and you can’t help another person because they are higher version.....fix this.........