Team Viewer not used in 2 years. Hacked my computer for remote access

g3tr3kt
g3tr3kt Posts: 1
edited February 2022 in General questions

I haven't Used team viewer in over 2 years. I used to use it with my brothers for playing video games. However on the 15th and 17th of January 2022 my email and amazon account were breached. After wondering why my 2FA had not alerted me to this I started going through my programs and noticed a recent update to Team Viewer. I had not used team viewer in over 2 years so I un-installed it then checked the access logs. I had an initial connection on January 7th 2022 that lasted only 8 seconds then had 2 connections on January 15th and 4 on January 17th. I now have stolen credit cards linked to my amazon account and used to make purchases. You can see the connections below. Be careful leaving team viewer on your computer as their service is obviously not very secure. Brute forcing my 16 character alpha,numerical,symbolic access password would have taken much to long.

Comments

• Ying_Q
    Ying_Q Posts: 2,584 Moderator

Hi @g3tr3kt,

Thank you for contacting us on TeamViewer Community and we are so sorry to hear what happened to you!

We strongly recommend you to contact Policy and report the case about what happened!

On other hand, if you have experienced or suspect a case of malicious use of TeamViewer, please contact our privacy team via the report a scam form on this page: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/report-a-scam/

We also recommend you to change all your passwords on all platforms to be on the safe side.

More security tips can also be found on TeamViewer Security Handbook.

Stay safe and Best regards,

Ying_Q

Community Moderator/中文社区管理员
  • Fr0gman
    Fr0gman Posts: 1
    edited March 14

The same thing happened to me in January-February 2022. I (as well as MANY others) believe TeamViewer had a breach and was hacked and that gave bad actors access to their systems thereby they gained access to user machines. I hold this opinion because the log indicates my unauthorized access came from an IP address within the TeamViewer network.

I am 100% convinced of this and I am also 100% sure TeamViewer will NEVER admit it.