Error: You established and aborted connections too frequently?

deeve
deeve Posts: 3 ✭✭

I've been running Team Viewer 12 personal edition for a while with no problems on Windows 7 64-bit. Since this Tuesday, when I try to do a remote session with my other pc I cannot get to the password entry box when I click the 'Connect to partner' button. Out of frustration, I tried a rapid double-click which worked once but when I tried again, I receive this error & cannot try for a timeout period of about 15 mins: "You established and aborted connections too frequently". Is there a bug with this latest version?

Comments

• Jeremy
    Jeremy Posts: 106 Staff member 🤠

Hi @deeve,

This is actually an important security feature in TeamViewer, which has existed for quite a long time. The feature exists as one of the methods we use to protect TeamViewer from brute-force attacks from botnets or would-be hackers.

If someone tries to make multiple connections to the same TeamViewer ID over a short period of time, they will automatically be blocked, for several minutes, from making further connections. This will happen if you click the "Connect to partner" button repeatedly.

You will need to wait for the indicated amount of time before being able to connect again.

Regards,
    Jeremy
    TeamViewer Quality Assurance Engineer
  • Jeremy

Hi @deeve,

Can you clarify what you mean by a change of terms? Which terms are you referring to?

The behaviour I described above - that you will be automatically blocked for several minutes if you click the "Connect to partner" button repeatedly - is not affected in any way at all by having a TeamViewer account. This security feature exists whether you are signed into an account or not.

However, once the blocked time has expired, you should be able to connect once again to the remote computer.

Regards,
    Jeremy
  • deeve
    deeve Posts: 3 ✭✭

Sure Jeremy, I was being facetious. The timeout feature you mention did not permit me to log on after it had passed. I did not press the connect button repeatedly for the sake of it - I did so because I could not activate the connection password dialogue box as I was used to doing before. The double clicking was a frustrated attempt to beat the disconnect that was occuring - and this technique did actually work, once.

My English sense or irony was therefore implying that since I registered for a user account, as if by magic, the Connect button now mysteriously works, again.

• Jeremy

Okay, gotcha - thanks for clarifying! :)

Regards,
    Jeremy
  • D_
    D_ Posts: 4 ✭✭

Jeremy:

That doesn't explain why this happens for errors like WaitForConnectFailed where the password exchange never even happened and it's your router that decided to end the connection attempt rather than wait longer like I want it to.

• Jeremy

Hi all,

As mentioned in my previous post, you only need to wait for several minutes - approximately 10 to 15 minutes should be enough (it's not exact)..

Regards,
    Jeremy
  • it says ive tried and disconected too many times nbut this was due to you saying i had not enough connections so kept trying to see when one came free now one is free i cant connect what a S******D design this is/!!

• This is the reason why you should not pay for this software.

• how much time is  the official time required to wait?  we have an observatory at the top of a remote mountain with a very bad internet connection and it would be good to know how to keep from locking up like this.

Thanks

• so it's a random amount of time between 10 and 15 minutes?  It would be acceptable to state  that.  

For those of you complaining about this, it's not TVs fault that there are sick people out there who get satisfaction from just causing problems for others.  Think of this as protection for DoS attacks.  Brute force attacks are those where someone/something is iterating through credentials and possible passwords.  TV is protecting from both.  

I'd prefer that the TV server (not the remote client which may be behind a flaky internet) give the option to authenticate or reauthenticate my connection to TV.  I'm getting locked out after reattempting connections numerous times, but with 30 seconds between the attempts.  

• cirEOak
    cirEOak Posts: 5 ✭✭

Has anyone ever tried to call support for this issue?

I did today, and they pointed to the remote computer being the issue, but couldn't go any further obviously because I couldn't connect to it.  Rebooting the machine resolved the issue, but didn't reveal the problem.

They instructed me to grab the log files from the remote computer (Extras >> Open Log Files), and open a support ticket (https://www.teamviewer.com/en/support/) so they can analyze it.  They also have a data collector (http://download.teamviewer.com/support/TeamViewer_SupportCollector.exe) that can be used that seemingly creates log files in a more controlled manner, but ultimately provides the same information as the log files, according to the person I spoke with.

So, TeamViewer Staff: could you direct us in the right direction next time instead of just telling us the obvious?  This thread is two pages at the time.  There was no solution posted, and I have to say issues like this make products from other vendors much more appealing.  We NEED support.  It isn't a luxury with a paid product.  Thanks for listening and improving.

-A Paying Customer

• This is very annoying. Moreover there should be a more accurate system to prevent DDOS. A brute force attack implies thousands of connections / sec in order to be possible. Unless a user tried to connect with such frequency (tough for a human being isn't it ?), why blocking him for 2 or 3 failed attempt within the same minute ????