New version is horrible... considering alternatives.
I'm a 1 person show ... my company's only IT person. I've been using PDQ deploy to install Teamviewer on all of our machines so that I can get remote co-access to my end-users machine to support them. This new version is absolutely a nightmare. It's worse than beta software with the bugs, the horrible GUI, the serious degradation in performance, and oftentimes the compelte lack of functionality. The software looks horible, is hard to use, way too many clicks, and in the end, doesn't work!
Since I have a business account, I called their support when this surprise version was implemented because I could no longer use it without each of my end users creating an account and logging in (that's never going to happen!). However, they were so innundated that the phone line went to a message telling me to make a ticket online and then it hung up - even though one of the 'features' of a paid accoun is phone support. So I created a ticket, but never heard back from them.
I called back later in the day and was able to get into the call queue . I spoke with someone who was nice, but told me that with my business account, I should not be installing the full version on end-users machines, but I should be installing only the Host version. So I went through the process of generating a host to install. I deployed that on several test machines. The Host is garbage. Sometimes the install works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the machine is remotely controllable, sometimes it isn't. If I try to configure unattended remote access, sometimes I can get it to allow my account to manage the machine, sometimes it won't accept my username and password... sometimes I enter my username and password and it just hangs there and nothing happens. Totally inoperable, totally inconsistent across the board!
Since we have multiple locations, I have the machines I manage organized into different groups by location. No longer can you drag and drop to move machines & device into the group they should be in. Furthermore, with the Host, sometimes a machine I've installed it on shows up in the management console, but most often it doesn't show up at all! The host says it is managed by (my email address), but it doesn't show up in my TeamViewer anywhere. If it does show up in Teamviewer, then I am not able to move the device into the correct group in the TeamViewer app.
I created a host which has our logo and "supposedly" puts the machine in the correct group, but it never puts the machine in a group - the machines are just lost in the ether somewhere. I deployed the exact same host setup.exe to 5 machines and 3 of them had the branding and 2 did not... 2 of them have the god-aweful new GUI where you have to make 2 extra clicks to find the TeamviewerID. 2 of them were managed by my account, and 3 of them I cannot get them to accept my account management.
One of the main reasons we've used teamviewer in the past was simplicity and consistency. This this 10 steps in the wrong direction. This new software is complete garbage, and I'm strongly considering moving to something else. My end users are going to have to learn something new anyway... it might as well be something that works instead of this steaming heap of **bleep**.