640x480 Resolution

I recently built a new PC and when I remote into it the screen resolution keeps defaulting to 640x480 and there are no other resolutions available to choose from.  I have 2 - 4k monitors hooked up to a Radeon WX 5100 GPU.  Any ideas?

Best Answer

Answers

• DomLan
    DomLan Posts: 490 ⭐Star⭐

Hi @reuber8,

Try checking to see if there are updates available for your video card and monitor driver.

The presence of a single resolution may be linked to an incompatible driver

Regards

Domenico Langone

MCSD: App Builder

• reuber8
    reuber8 Posts: 5

Thanks @DomLan

Video card driver is up to date.  I'll look into updating monitor driver. 

• reuber8

Latest monitor drivers installed.  Still nothing higher than 640x480.  I've never had this issue with any other computers.

• DomLan
    DomLan Posts: 490 ⭐Star⭐

Hi @reuber8

Take a look at this thread. Is this your case?

Domenico Langone

MCSD: App Builder

• reuber8

My problem wasn't resolved afterall.  My computers were off for a couple days and now the 640x480 resolution is back.

• elio7
    elio7 Posts: 3

I have this 640x480 resolution problem until today:

1. On Device Manager / Monitors I have a different name, it was not my BenQ XL2411Z.
    2. So I just uninstall it and remove the software.
    3. Then download the last driver of my BenQ XL2411Z.
    4. Go to Device Manager and look for new hardware.
    5. Add the new monitor driver
    6. Make sure it have the correct name

After this I can connect again in 1680 x 1050.

• Sure ! My teamviewer in my phone to my PC had only resolution of 640*480. Then I updated my "monitor (not video adaptor)" driver  and the resolution returned to 2560*1440 although the system told me "the driver is already the newest."

• Scotty
    Scotty Posts: 493 Staff member 🤠

I know I am a bit late to the party, but are the monitors off?

640x480 is the default resolution that is defaulted to when no monitor is connected.

TeamViewer only provides a direct stream of exactly what is being output at the remote side. So if you are getting 640x480, this means the remote side is 640x480.

With some monitors, when they are off the graphics card cannot read their specs and so the display defaults to 640x480. Essentially, your remote computer is headless in this case which would be causing it.

So just turn the monitors on.

Scotty

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
  • omazic
    omazic Posts: 1
    Ok, and what if that pc should be without monitor, as it is managed by rdp locally and there is a need to manage it over teamviewer when not on local network???
  • gyap
    gyap Posts: 3

The solution is that to connect a real monitor to the headless machine. Then the OS will see it. Then in the device manager you have to update the basic monitor (not the display adapter!) driver, just takes a minute. After that everythink will work. At least in my case. 

What I did more is to bring all windows 10 machine to the latest windows 10 version actually to 1903. It can be important too, because of there were windows update issues with the RDP (Remote Desktop). 

The other solution could be what other supposed here, to use a dummy, headless ghost display connector (very cheap).something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Displayport-Display-Emulator-Headless-4096x2160/dp/B074FT1P8M/ref=pd_cp_147_4?pd_rd_w=EMtTx&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=X6K2ZDH0GCKVZ44Z1SVR&pd_rd_r=b5e1530c-bf27-441a-b048-b71fc5a8ef89&pd_rd_wg=8Ji9O&pd_rd_i=B074FT1P8M&psc=1&refRID=X6K2ZDH0GCKVZ44Z1SVR

As I understand this failure regarding to usually AMD video cards, because of if there isn't a real monitor connected, then it sends somewhow just the basic, lowest resolution display, what will be later captured by Teamviewer or other remote desktops solutions. In our case the video card was a AMD FirePro.