Definition of "a while"

MrTiredofwait
MrTiredofwait Posts: 1
edited May 2023 in General questions

Hello.

I am trying to get a connection to an android device to work.

Suddenlty I get the following message:

"You established and aborted connections too frequently. Please wait for a while before the next connection"

How long is "a while" ?

Oxford dictionary states "A period of time." (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/while)

Wikipedia says "[...] "an amount of time" or "some duration" [...] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/While)

This definition of a timeframe for waiting is ill-chosen as it does not communicate how long one REALLY has to wait.

How long is "a while"? How long do i have to wait to be able to try the connection again? In minutes or seconds?

And is there any way i can disable this "feature"?

(Please do not suggest the use of a nerver version of Teamviewer. Upgrading is not in the table.)

Thanks in advance!
Yours,
Mr. Tiredofwaiting

Comments

• Natascha
    Natascha Posts: 1,591 Moderator

Hi @MrTiredofwait 

I really want to thank you for your great post. 

Prospective customers who inquire about the security of TeamViewer regularly ask about encryption.

Understandably, the risk that a third party could monitor the connection or that the TeamViewer access data is being tapped is feared most.

However, the reality is that rather primitive attacks are often the most dangerous ones. In the context of computer security, a brute-force attack is a trial-and-error-method to guess a password that is protecting a resource.

With the growing computing power of standard computers, the time needed for guessing long passwords has been increasingly reduced. As a defense against brute-force attacks, TeamViewer exponentially increases the latency between connection attempts.

I recommend you to restart the TeamViewer service.

-Execute "run", type "services.msc" and press OK

-Now find TeamViewer, and restart it by doing a right click.

Then, restart the TeamViewer application. It should work again.

Please make sure to use the right connection passwords before you try to connect.

If you have any further questions on this, please do not hesitate to contact us again. 

Have a great day and all the best, 
    Natascha

German Community moderator 💙 Moderatorin der deutschsprachigen Community

• kramyugtaht
    kramyugtaht Posts: 1
    edited January 2021

This doesn't answer the question.

If you mean there is no defined time period or that it may change, then please say that. I understand you want to explain but please make things clear.

As for restarting the TV service, not everyone is using Windows. Also is it on the host or client side???

BTW I HAVE to repeatedly abort connection simply because it doesn't work on the first try, it just sits there and hangs on Connecting so I click on it again. A few times later it will work and connect shortly after it shows Authenticating. So you have a security feature that prevents people from using it because there is a bug somewhere. I would be happy to click on it a few times until it does connect but then there's the possibility of being locked out for an undefined, longer period of time which is annoying to say the least. Past versions didn't have this issue.

• nathann
    nathann Posts: 3 ✭✭

I'd also love any clarification on TeamViewer's response on this??

Please wait a while - is it locked on the client or host side? When you're troubleshooting a problem with someone and this happens is unbelievably annoying. Do I tell them I'll call back in 5 minutes? An hour? A week? What?

• RolfBly
    RolfBly Posts: 1

I'm here to join the others asking the question.

The scenario is that you want to help someone at the other end of the line, you are in contact, but Teamviewer just won't connect.

It is because it's trying to connect with a password from the previous session that has meanwhile expired? Then why does it not recognise the remote computer has this set on every session, so it doesn't make any sense to store a passcode? It shouldn't let me saving the passcode at my end. Bad UX.

Is there some other reason? How can I see previous or pending sessions? Do I have to check in Task Manager what it's trying to do?

Do I have to set up WireShark to monitor what's on the line?

Extremely frustrating. I use TV less than once a month for max a few hours, but I had to pay 200 USD for it. The worst value for money I've seen in a long long time.

• Evan_Camilleri
    Evan_Camilleri Posts: 3 ✭✭

I agree 'a while' is not clear! I have a client waiting for me to connect to his machine and I told him I cannot connect for 'a while'

It's frustrating!