Re: Sharing a Group with contacts

afeudale
afeudale Posts: 49 ✭✭

Sorry, incorrect...

Here is a screenshot of my TV application.  You can see my company at the top left "xx Solutions Inc.".  There is also a group here called "xx Financial"

You can see the cloud beside it indicating it is shared with others.  If I click on "share" for that group, I can see it is shared with "xx Financial".  Also, as administrator, I am able to remove this shared user from the TV app.  This "xx Financial" is *not* in my list of contacts - they are a *user* listed under "User Management".

However, I cannot add any additional users through the app (as tigerpie's original post).

If you say that the TV application does not download the list of users, why is it that I can see this "xx Financial" user as a share for this group and why is it that I (as administrator) can also remove them?  This should not be possible accordingly to your logic.

In conclusion, yes, there was the ability to add shared contacts to groups from the TV app in the past and now this functionality is lost.

Yes, I am unhappy with your support, but this has no bearing on this being a *bug* - which it is

Comments

• afeudale

Apparently my replies are being flagged in the other topic, so I'm starting a new one.  Here was the last post:

Sorry, incorrect...

Here is a screenshot of my TV application.  You can see my company at the top left "xx Solutions Inc.".  There is also a group here called "xx Financial"

You can see the cloud beside it indicating it is shared with others.  If I click on "share" for that group, I can see it is shared with "xx Financial".  Also, as administrator, I am able to remove this shared user from the TV app.  This "xx Financial" is *not* in my list of contacts - they are a *user* listed under "User Management".

However, I cannot add any additional users through the app (as tigerpie's original post).

If you say that the TV application does not download the list of users, why is it that I can see this "xx Financial" user as a share for this group and why is it that I (as administrator) can also remove them?  This should not be possible accordingly to your logic.

In conclusion, yes, there was the ability to add shared contacts to groups from the TV app in the past and now this functionality is lost.

Yes, I am unhappy with your support, but this has no bearing on this being a *bug* - which it is

Capture.JPG

• Scotty
    Scotty Posts: 493 Staff member 🤠

Hi afeudale,

The information I provided is 100% correct.

If a group is already shared, all users complete with name will be displayed under the list of shared users. This name is called down from the MCO with the Groups information, not as part of a full list of users from User Management.

Even if you were to kick that user out of your Company Profile (So they are no longer in your user list) and make sure they are not in your contacts list, the group would still be shared with that user and you would see their name.

You can duplicate this exact same effect using an API call for groups, it will display the shared users information even if they are not in your list.
    (API pdf)

I can gaurantee you that as a Support Engineer for the software, I know how the code works and how it was designed.
    My final statement on this is:

- You can only share groups to users that are in your contacts list from the software.
    - It is not a Bug.
    - This is completely intended behaviour that has not changed.
    - This has been the behaviour since the MCO was first introduced

If you would like to continue this further, I suggest you contact our support team as there is no further information I can provide for this.

Best Regards,
    -Scott

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
  • Scotty

Just for clarity:

- The post was flagged by our spam filter.
    this was rectified shortly after by one of our other moderators.

- I have however moved this back to this thread as this is the real topic.

Scotty

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
  • afeudale

If what you say above is correct, then the logic of this "feature" does not make any sense...

You mentioned that the TV app does not download the list of users from user management - I assume that this is for security reasons?  If so, then the shared groups should also not display who they are shared with - as that would negate the security feature previously mentioned.

Ergo, if this security "feature" is nullified by the fact that users are displayed anyhow, it should also be possible to *add* new users for sharing from within the TV app as tigerpie requested in his post.

• Scotty

Hi afeudale,

There is more to it than that.

But, in simple terms, having the shared person there does not negate the security. It doesn't display a list of all users in the company, just ones the user must have already had visibility of in the past and has already shared a group with.

It would be far less secure to not know who you had shared a group with.

In any case, if you would like to be able to change this in the application you are welcome to put it in our ideas board.

Other than that, I am not here to debate features with you and I have no ability to implement what you are requesting. I was simply providing an answer to the original question that was asked and provided the solution of simply adding the users to your contacts list.

All the best,
    -Scotty

Senior Moderator
  • afeudale

Extremely confusing and still doesn't make much sense...

Nonetheless, it doesn't address the main point:  why is it that logging into the Web management console has *more* features than logging into the app with the *same* account.

To further illustrate:

1) Login to Web management with Company admin account, click a group, click share - here are all your users to share with

2)  Login to TV application with Company admin account, click a group, click share - there is no one to share with

Same program, same login, same methodology - should produce same results.

The rationale can be twisted all you want, but I maintain it's a bug and not a debate on features.

• Scotty

Hi afeudale,

You do not have any admin abilities in the application.
    These are only available in the Management Console by design.

Policies, Design and deploy, changing other users rights etc. All features only available to admins in the MCO.

A "Bug", by definition is an error in code that produces an unexpected or unintended result that was not the programmers design.
    As this case is by design and is fully intended, by definition it is not a bug.

You may not agree with this, but this is intentionally the design. Not agreeing with or not liking the way something functions does not make that function a bug sorry.

At the end of the day, this is how the software behaves and there is a very simple way to achieve what you want that I have already provided.

This will be my last response on the matter as we are just going around in circles.

All the best,
    -Scotty

Senior Moderator
  • afeudale

It *is* a bug because the intended design is to be able to share groups to users of your company listed under user management.

This is very easy to confirm - if I login to the management console, then click on a group and click share, it automatically brings up a list of *users* from *user management*.  I assume this is the intended design?

If so, this means that TV intended users to be able to share groups with other users in the company (which makes sense) and not have to create additional "contacts" in order to be able to share them.

If this is not true, then sharing ability should be removed entirely from the TV application and should be relegated to the web console only.

And to your point about there being a "simple way" to achieve the sharing - you are incorrect.  That is what brought me here in the first place.  A colleague with channels on our license discovered this bug when trying to share groups with another team mate.  He assumed it could be done through the app - which is much, much faster than through the web console. 

He is too upset about it to even post here, so I am posting on his behalf.

A proper response here is to admit there is a problem and work to resolve it - not dismiss this post saying that "we are going around in circles".  Teamviewer really needs to do better.

• Scotty
    As previously advised, this is intended behaviour. It is not a bug.

The user can
    a) click "connection" > "open User Management" and make the change in the MCO

Or

b) create a contacts list.

Both are very simple solutions, but I apologise if this has caused any undue stress or upset.

You are very welcome to discuss this via ticket, but I have provided you with all the information available.

All the best,
    -Scotty
    Senior Moderator
  • afeudale

I'll make it a simple question:

Is the "intended design" to be able to share TV groups with users or contacts or both?

No need to shift the conversation to a private ticket - the whole point of these discussions is for other users to be able to search & find answers to their similar questions, right?

• Scotty
    At this point, you are very aware of the intended design. Wording the question as a binary will not change my answer sorry.

The intended design is that Admins are able to manage the groups share with users from the management console.

The intended design is that users are able to share groups with their contacts from the software.

The intended design is that admin privileges (which sharing groups to users without them being a contact is) are only available in the MCO.

This is the intended design. This has always been the case. If you would like something different, you can add it to our ideas board.

You can continue this in a ticket if you like, but this is a Community forum and I am here to moderate, not debate requested features.

I have done my best to try and resolve this for you, but as it is clear that it cannot be resolved here, if you wish to continue you can contact our support team.

All the best,
    Scotty
    Senior Moderator
  • afeudale

Typical Teamviewer - condascending and blaming their bugs and incompetence on the paying customers.

Please leave this post up for posterity, so other paying TV clients who search this issue can see TV's obstinacy and unwillingness to resolve their bugs.

• Scotty
    This is not a bug as I have explained in depth.

I apologise if I came across as condescending, but the fact remains that this is a request to change intended functionality, not an error.

This thread will of course remain available as the discussion does indeed speak for itself and I have explained this to the best of my ability.

If you have any further issues, please feel free to contact our support team.

Best regards,
    Scotty
    Senior Moderator