Why is Teamviewer so user-unfriendly for logins now???
I have been using TeamViewer for many years.
Within the last few weeks, TV apparently decided that every single person that uses a Yahoo email address as a contact address is a "security risk". So they required me to change my password.
I'm an I.T. professional for over 20 years, I know what I'm doing with computers. Yeah, I get it - a bunch of dummies shared their Yahoo passwords with 100 other services and then Yahoo had a massive credentials breach and TV was blamed for it. I get it. But what they have done to make life miserable for someone like me who follows best I.T. security practices is like **bleep**.
- I try to login but can't, am told credentials aren't valid. Huh?
- Somewhere along the line I find a page that explains that you are forcing every Yahoo user to change their password. Fine.
- I try changing my password. Can't because you "don't recognize this device". Well, I never really had a reason to login to your webpage before, I authenticate within the app. So you send me links to email, you force me through endless Captcha challenges, over and over and over. First when I first try to login, then again after I change the password, then again when I add the device, then again when I go to login again. Round and round and round and round and round and round. What are you doing???
- Then the next time I try to login, I'm an alien again. "DO NOT RECOGNIZE THIS DEVICE". Oh, thanks a lot. You apparently try to either set a browser or flash cookie or HTML5 storage or use some sort of browser fingerprinting or something, but you don't document any of that, so someone like me, who is very picky abouit security and privacy practices, gets treated like a homeless person again and I can't use the service any more, once again. I assume because I am clearing browser cookies after the session is over (as I always do unless I have reason to do otherwise for a particular site), or because I am blocking "web-bugs" or browser fingerprinting techniques or flash cookies etc to prevent sites from abusing my privacy. So I get treated like homeless alien here.
- So I thought I had all that sorted when I was forced to go through all of that a week ago, and then today I try to login and now I'm an unknown person again. What??? Oh great, more endless captchas!! :smileyfrustrated: :smileyfrustrated: :smileyfrustrated:
What is going on with you people? Are you trying to drive half your users away?
So sue me, I've got dozens of email addresses, I happened to pick a Yahoo one to use as a TV email address years ago. I don't even use that email address for using TV itself.
What are you going to do about this??
If the answer is "nothing", then what the heck are you expecting from a browser in order to identify it as a "trusted device", so I can make a special accomodation for this silly system so it doesn't treat me like a homeless alien every time I need to login or use the app?