Upgraded to Teamviewer 12 and Now I Don't Get Any Sound from the Remote Computer

The remote computer is running Windows 10 64-bit TeamViewer 12. My local computer is running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit and was running TeamViewer 11. I had no problem today with sound from the remote computer. I ended my session and tried to reestablish another connection and TV told me I needed to update, so I did. Now I can no longer hear sound from the remote computer. I've tried downloading the older TV 11 version again but it says it's not compatible with TV 12. I've used TV to connect to the remote computer without issues many times before. 

I've made sure all audio options in both TeamViewers are correct in case the update made any changes to my preference but they're all correct.

Please advise how I can remedy this situation.

Comments

• M-ITX
    M-ITX Posts: 4

Im having the exact same problem. I updated to version 12.0.78313 and ever since that update I can no longer hear sound from any partner computers.  However when they connect to me they can hear sound from mine.  Like you I checked all the settings in both computers and its all good.  The box "Play computer sounds and music" under Remote Control tab is checked in both machines.  The volume in the TeamViewer Column of the Windows "Volume Mixer" is all the way up.  help!!

• Devotee
    Devotee Posts: 3

Same problem here (I think). I'm using version 12.0.78517 on OS X Yosemite 10.10.5. I started having this issue yesterday. I was playing some music on Spotify and suddenly the volume was VERY low, I had to increase the system volume to maximum to barely hear anything on the speakers connected to my Mac Mini computer. I first thought that the speakers were broken because I couldn't find anything on the system to change the output mixing/master volume, etc.

But as soon as I closed Teamviewer I got the normal volume again. So it turns out that every time I open a new Teamviewer session with a remote computer, the system volume is barely audible. As soon as you close the remote session, volume goes back to normal (no need to actually exit Teamviewer). I tried to disable the remote audio option while in a session, but it doesn't fix the issue.

Another weird issue, if you go to Preferences > Audio when you have anything playing in the background (Spotify, for example) Teamviewer will either crash or volume will almost mute (until you leave the preferences panel).

If you mess with the volume controls it somehow gets better. You can slide the volume of the Speakers up to the top and the master system volume will increase almost back to normal (not really). But as soon as you close the audio preferences the volume will just boost up to the maximum.

My guess? The volume scale on Teamviewer doesn't match the system's volume. A 100% volume on Teamviewer's audio preferences is about 60-75% of the real system volume. Meaning that if your system volume is at about 25-40%, when you launch a Teamviewer remote session, it will get a -25%-40% "increase", leaving it to almost 0% (mute).

Screenshots of system volume level and Teamviewer's audio preferences (sound barely audible in that scenario, but will go back to normal if I just close the audio preferences or simply switch to another preferences' section). The slider on Teamviewer's audio preferences should be way lower (first/second mark) but it's in the middle:

2017-06-03 13.26.18.png2017-06-03 13.26.40.png

• RaysFTW
    RaysFTW Posts: 2

I've uninstalled TV12 from my local computer and the remote computer and reinstalled the older TV11 on both and the sound problem went away. This seems to point to an issue with the new version of TV12. I hope the team at TV sees this and can investigate because it's obviously a defect in the newest release. As long as TV doesn't force older versions to update to 12 then I'm fine with this solution but it's not good for TV going forward.

• drthundr
    drthundr Posts: 3

I had the same problem.  All of my machines automatically upgraded.  I uninstalled 12.0.78313 and installed 12.0.75813 locally.  I was able to hear audio on the remote computers that have 12.0.78313.  Waiting for a new update to fix it.

• M-ITX

Could you by any chance send the installation file for the version on 12 that works? Or link me to where you found it? My email is [email removed]

• drthundr
    drthundr Posts: 3

http://www.filepuma.com/download/teamviewer_12.0.75813-14571/

http://www.filepuma.com/download/teamviewer_12.0.77242-14996/

Filepuma.com appears to be a safe site from what I can tell, but do your own research before downloading.  You can check here: https://global.sitesafety.trendmicro.com/ or here: https://safeweb.norton.com/

I installed 12.0.77242 and I can hear audio as well remotely.  Seems like it's an issue with the new 12.0.78313 update.

Also, make sure you don't update it automatically if it works.

Extras > Options > Advanced > Show Advanced Options
    Change Install new versions automatically to No Automatic updates

• M-ITX

Thank you so much.  I will try it and report back.

• TalRazMob
    TalRazMob Posts: 1

If you've upgraded, you may get a message on connection that says "Your partner has started the internet call. Unmute the microphone?" If you click Unmute, you should be golden

• M-ITX

Yes, I was wondering what that message was about.  In any case, like you said the sound now works.  Thanks for finding a workeable solution to this.

• pkovacs
    pkovacs Posts: 5

None of my computers have microphones so it won't let me unmute it.

• puppycock
    puppycock Posts: 1

@drthundr wrote:

http://www.filepuma.com/download/teamviewer_12.0.75813-14571/

http://www.filepuma.com/download/teamviewer_12.0.77242-14996/

Filepuma.com appears to be a safe site from what I can tell, but do your own research before downloading.  You can check here: https://global.sitesafety.trendmicro.com/ or here: https://safeweb.norton.com/

I installed 12.0.77242 and I can hear audio as well remotely.  Seems like it's an issue with the new 12.0.78313 update.

Also, make sure you don't update it automatically if it works.

Extras > Options > Advanced > Show Advanced Options
    Change Install new versions automatically to No Automatic updates

I had the same issue and this fixed my problem.

Thanks

• SimBoO
    SimBoO Posts: 1

I had the same problem and after updating to latest version it still didn't play as loud.
    12.0.78517 (OSX Client)
    12.0.78716 (Win7 Host)

My solution was to go on the host options -> Audio Conferencing. Section "Voice Playback" and crank the slider to the max. 

This fixed my issue.

• Esii
    Esii Posts: 1

I would like to know this too.

On top of that, every time I downgrade to a lower version (whith working sounds), after couple of days TeamViewer updates itself automatically to the newest version, so I have to reinstall it over and over... really annoying.

• Julia
    Julia Posts: 290 Staff member 🤠

Hi all,

We published a new version with a fix. Please install the new version and post your feedback here.

Thank you in advanced :)

Julia
    Senior Support Engineer - 2nd level Support
    Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others.
    Find this helpful? Say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button.
  • pkovacs

@Julia wrote:

Hi all,

We published a new version with a fix. Please install the new version and post your feedback here.

Yup, audio is working now. I did have to first increase the voice playback volume in the audio conferencing options, but all is good now. Thanks!

• pkovacs

@pkovacs wrote:

@Julia wrote:

Hi all,

Yup, audio is working now. I did have to first increase the voice playback volume in the audio conferencing options, but all is good now. Thanks!

New problem... while the sound is now working, the volume levels are messed up. Basically Team Viewer will increase the volume level of the host machine to match the "voice playback" volume level after you connect. This only happens if the voice playback volume is louder than the host machine's volume.

So if the host machine is set to volume level 25 and I connect to a remote whos "voice plackback" volume level is set to max, then my host computer's volume will blast to 100.

WARNING!! This could damage your speakers or hurt your hearing if you're wearing headphones.

• Kasspa
    Kasspa Posts: 1

Ive been having this issue for a while now and its been driving me crazy. I just solved it I think. I went to extra, options, and then in the "metting" section towards the bottom is a "share computer sounds and music" box that was unchecked. I rechecked it and boom sound came back. This was after being on TV for hours at work and watching a show on a stream, TV closed because of the 3 hour limit and when I opened it again, no sound. This just fixed it for me.

• RL1234
    RL1234 Posts: 1

I upgraded from 11 to 12 and am experiencing a related but slightly different sound issue.

I have to go into Extras > Options > Audio Conferencing and switch the Voice Playback speaker setting there.

Fortunately, I don't use TeamViewer for its audio conferencing features, so no big deal, but this seems like a bug.

• PeteC
    PeteC Posts: 1

So I have been having problems getting audio from the remote computer too and I fixed my problem heres how:

First I made sure the computer sound button was checked.

Then made sure that  in options -> Remote Control -> play computer sounds and music was checked.

None of that worked so I went to options-> Audio conferencing and looked under speakers to make sure the right one was selected and that fixed it! Make sure what ever device you want to be your default playback device is selected under speakers.