Rolling Out Policy Settings is Child’s Play with the TeamViewer 12 Policy API

Esther
Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager
edited April 2023 in Blog

header_Policy_API.jpg

How many devices are there in your company – hundreds or maybe thousands?
Applying policies to all of them might have been hard. Until today!

Every company has its special requirements towards the policies applied to devices within its boundaries.

For example, you might want to give your employees the possibility to embrace the benefits of working from home, logging into their office computers.

At night, however, you’d rather like a stricter whitelist that allows access for admins only.

The switch between these different policies can be automated – of course you don’t want to do that manually every day.

Then there may be policies that are valid for, say, a whole department or a bigger group of employees and then yet another policy for all the mobile devices and so forth.

Managing the different policies for hundreds or even thousands of devices can be an exhaustive task.

But it doesn’t have to be!

Create and Modify Policy Settings with the Policy API

The new TeamViewer Policy API allows you to roll out your customized policy settings to any number of devices.

The Policy API will also allow you to execute the rollout as a script from your own computer, which might feel more convenient for you.

You can combine it with your Computer & Contacts API to export a list of all your registered devices or with the Group Management API to export a list of all your existing groups.

Another great feature that we’ll introduce on the Community Blog with its own post very soon is the Policy Assignment. Both of them will complement each other just excellent, as you’ll find!

Where to find the Policy API

TeamViewer provides a web-based API that allows you to access data and control various aspects of your TeamViewer account.

You can use the API to develop apps that integrate TeamViewer functionality into your own corporate environment or you can develop apps that everyone can use.

The API uses REST to communicate with your application and the secure authorization standard OAuth 2.0 to manage access to all data.

You’ll find all the information about the TeamViewer API at integrate.teamviewer.com.

Have Fun Rolling Out!

We hope you enjoy working with the TeamViewer Policy API and that it makes things easier for you, since that was our goal providing this feature.

Out of curiosity: How many devices do you have to manage in your company? Let us know in the comment section below!

Former Community Manager

Comments

• ArvidInSupport
    ArvidInSupport Posts: 3 ✭✭

Can I apply/assign policies to a certain group using the API?

If not, Am I able to assign a policy to all my devices? Or do I have to assign them one by one using their teamviewer-id?

Thanks, Arvid!

• Russell01
    Russell01 Posts: 1

Hello,

I have the same question. Am I able to apply a policy to an existing group instead of selecting individual endpoints?