Unable to wake on lan a computer remotely (from the internet)

Options

Hello,

I can not wake-on-lan o remote computer from the internet (with public address) with TV. Though I could wake it up with TV in my local net at home.

I read carefully your tutorial (even printed it out) and I think I did exactly as explained, but I was un successful. Please help.

My configuration.

I have 2 notebooks :

1) Asus with Windows 7  is always at home connected with a cable to the router TP-LINK

2) Lenovo with Windows XP I take usually out.

I need to access remotely ASUS from Lenovo (from the outside). Main goal is to be able to access Asus and to wake-on-lan it with the TV

The router

The router gets a dynamic address from my ISP.  I subscribed NO-IP service and received a name (123165.hopto.org) which is bound to my router’s dynamic address [personal information removed by moderator]

In the router, on the DDNS page, I entered all necessary data (service provider name (no-ip), user name, password, etc) and successfully connected to NO-IP service.

Asus computer (target computer)

TV is installed and configured and bound to my TV account. In Options – Settings – Wake-on-lan –Public address  I entered the name I received from NO-IP (123165.hopto.org). There was also port number 9  I left it as it was. That all.

Lenovo

TV is installed and configured and bound to my TV account too.

That’s it. What can be wrong with my configuration? If I understood correctly I don’t have to play with ports forwarding for TV could wake a computer behind the router remontely, do I?

Thank you very much.

Serge

Comments

• si123168
    si123168 Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Options

Well,  I think I found the solution

WoL does not work for me because I have a wrong IP assined by mu ISPn it is so called "grey dynamic IP". I should try the setup with a " right" IP and see the effect.

Thank you