Transferring a File Through TeamViewer's VPN

Options

Version 14.1.9025 in Windows 10

1. When transferring a 5G file through TeamViewer's VPN, network activity (in Task Manager's Performance Tab) shows in the "TeamViewer ethernet adapter" and the hardware adapter for roughly 5 seconds, everything afterwards is solely through the hardware adapter.  Is this normal or should everything being transferred show activity in the "TeamViewer adapter" as well?

2. The file transfer might take anywhere from 30 seconds to roughly 30 minutes, yet each time they compare without error with the original file using Beyond Compare (binary comparison).  Why would there be such a discrepancy in transfer times between the same 2 computers in the same room (lab. environment) with otherwise no traffic increase through the switch?

3. When experimenting with this procedure last year using the same OS and TeamViewer 14.0.13880 the transfer took hours (at the time I didn't use Task Manager to monitor throughput to see which adapters were being used), so I don't know if it should normally take this long.  Is this more indicative of what should happen?

4. Has there been a change since version 14.0.13380 to account for the speed increase?

Regards,

Aribesque

Comments

• millsaz
    millsaz Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Options

Dear TeamViewer,

As and IT Professional I use file transfer often in prior versions, but it seems this is the worst file transfer speeds ever in 14.  I don't understand why this wouldn't be a priority for a product improvement since I believe most of us need file transfer.

I have tested the transfer speed using a 300/300 Mbps Fiber connection on both sides with 56kb modem TV file transfer speeds.  I have done file transfers on my local 10Gb network and see a very minor improvement.  

As others have stated using UDP is 90's technology when you have TCP, but it doesn't make any sense why you would throttle the speed.  Now if it's an issue with screen refresh then all you need to do is use some type of QOS policy to utilize the connection full bandwidth, but make screen processes the priority.  TCP allows for resume so you should be able to pause file transfer and resume to keep screen refresh, keyboard, and mouse active at all times.

AZITDude