Announcements

First Step Guides

1. Are you new to TeamViewer and Home Office and need some help? Check out our FAQ here.
  2. New to the Remote Access Plan? Find our first steps FAQ here.
  3. Are you new to blizz and online meetings or classes and need some help? Check out our FAQ here.

Posted by
Digon

WOL works perfectly - BUT HOW?

I can NOT wake ONE computer in my home network by normal wake methods in Windows 10, by entering the name into the address bar, or by clicking on the shortcut i made for it.
All other computers (old laptop, other win10, win7, win XP) all DO wake properly just by brwsing to them or clicking on shortcute I made for them or by entering their name, etc.

So, I am wondering:
What protocol or method does Teamviewer use within Windows to Wake-On-LAN?

Teamviewer is doing something to wake up the computer via its onboard Realttek GBE Lan. Whatever it is must be a bit different than whatever Windows uses.
The one that is not working:
This system is VERY similar to another I set up at the same time, and I follow consistant procedures in setup and use with all my networked computers.

I first suspected the motherboard BIOS settings or LAN chip, and tried every setting on my motherboard (ASUS H-270-Plus) until I realized that the LAN light WAS staying on in sleep, and began to think it was a Windows problem.
I installed different LAN drivers, and rechecked some settings (disable fast boot, etc).

Then I happened to find Teamviewer has WOL the other day and to my surprise, it worked !
So, it is a real mystery, and Teamviewer is triggering something that Windows 10 itself seems unable to. What could it be?