Posted by Leosenko
Digon

Plans for 64 bit version on Debian/Linux

Are there any plans for making a native x64 version for Linux? Current status is that Teamviewer requires multiarch which is unsatisfactory as it requires to add a special architecture just for Teamviewer.

6 Replies
6 Replies
Posted by TeamViewer Staff
TeamViewer Staff
Posted by Leosenko
Digon

Re: 64 bit version on Debian/Linux

Unfortunately, host version does not provide the capability to connect to other devices running teamviewer so this is not a useful solution for me. The best, of course, would be to have fully 64bit teamviewer natively under linux. Are you planning this?

TeamViewer Staff

Good things take time

It is not our intention to maintain two different UI types (Wine/Qt) forever. Currently we focus on improving the Host. Eventually it will also serve as a foundation for other packages, I hope :robotwink:

Linux Developer
Posted by knucklehead42
Henagon

Re: Good things take time

I need a working solution for my wife and kids and grandkids that includes 64-bit Operating systems, and Teamviewer 12.0.76279 only has 32-bit libraries that Debian 9.1 can't/won't use. My desktop is Debian Linux 9.1 - I used to have to support Microsoft users in a former job before I retired, hence my aversion to Windows... Teamviewer worked fine under previous versions but suddenly this tool is no longer installable.

I can certainly understand not wanting to support two separate architectures, but for quite some time computers have been 64-bit... I remember the struggles when 8-bit and double-word gave way to 16-bit, then WOW! 32-bit, answer to all manner of things, and then the 2GB file size limit and memory addressing limit hit, and several years ago 64-bit architecture was introduced.

I do NOT want to maintain a separate computer that manages 32-bit libraries (nor do I want to have to run a virtual machine as that means I can not access my desktop from afar using my laptop.

It is TIME for Teamviewer to produce a 64-bit Debian Linux version...

Posted by Chiron
Hexagon

Work Around

Have you tried the Web Client? It works, if you don't mind Adobe Flash. 

But you are right, 64bit would be better.

I don't work for TeamViewer. I'm just a user.
TeamViewer Staff

Re: Good things take time

Hi knucklehead,

we surely don't mind maintaining different archictures - as you might have seen, the HOST version comes for i386, amd64 and armv7. Unfortunately it only supports incoming connections. We are currently in a transition phase, not from i386 to amd64, but from Wine-based to Qt-based. This transition, beginning with the HOST version, gives us the freedom to support all the architectures you and I want.

Linux Developer