Announcements

Monitoring - We fixed the issue which caused the degraded performance and we are monitoring the results as we send partial traffic on it. It looks good so far. Please see also our Status page.

Highlighted
Posted by Scotty2019
Photon

Security/ Bad Packaging: Teamviewer updates re-enable disabled teamviewerd.service

I have disabled teamviewerd.service for security reasons with "sudo systemctl disable teamviwerd.service". I only start the service when I actually need to use Teamviewer.

I notice that every Teamviewer update overwrites the systemd configuration and re-enables the background service without my consent. I am not happy with the behaviour of Teamviewer updates und would highly recommend to modify the installation script in a way that the user is asked if the startup configuration should be changed or not. This is common practice in the Linux world.

My system: Ubuntu 18.04 64bit.

2 Replies
Posted by Ach3Ahp9
Photon

Re: Security/ Bad Packaging: Teamviewer updates re-enable disabled teamviewerd.service

I've been running into this problem for a while, too, and was hoping that the company Teamviewer would eventually fix this on their own.  That didn't happen.

This is incredibly annoying as I have to manually disable and stop teamviewer on every update. If your daemon is disabled, it should *stay* disabled.

Please remove that "feature", thanks.

Posted by GenericIT
Henagon

Re: Security/ Bad Packaging: Teamviewer updates re-enable disabled teamviewerd.service

I agree with this, especially since it is pulling logs from other services on the system. For now I am running the following cronjob.

@reboot /usr/bin/bash -c '[ `systemctl is-enabled teamviewerd` != 'disabled' ] && systemctl disable --now teamviewerd'