Posted by jpgoossen
Henagon

Teamviewer connects but Remote control shows Awaiting authentication

Hi all,

I am having a strange issue with logging in to one of my computers.

I have two PC's both running Xubuntu 16.04.2 (LTS version) and I have Teamviewer 12 installed on both machine's.

On only ONE of them, I have the problem that I can not completely log in. What happens now, is that when I log in (from any other machine, be it a Linux, Windows or MacOS computer) I see the remote desktop, but the log in screen is unavailable. It is covered by a Teamviewer Remote control window. The status "light" shows yellow and the text shows "Awaiting authentication". That is all. I can click on that window to no avail, but cannot get any further.

• There IS a connection (I can see the login window/desktop.)
  • The system runs just fine (I can login through ssh from the other PC if I need to)
  • There is no real authentication problem, because right after a fresh install, it will work just fine for a couple of times.

I have already done a complete reinstall of the OS, so I guess that should not be a problem either. The other PC, also running the same OS and version, does not have the problem.

Any idea's what could be the problem? It is not a networking issue, as far as I can tell, since I do connect. It is just that after the connection, I am blocked or locked at the login screen.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Patrick

6 Replies
6 Replies
Posted by jpgoossen
Henagon

Re: Teamviewer connects but Remote control shows Awaiting authentication

As an additional note, sometimes the message I see is not "Awaiting authentication" but "Incoming connection". But it still will not proceed after that.

Cheers.

Patrick

Posted by jpgoossen
Henagon

For anyone experiencing the same problem.

I deleted the .Xauthority files in the users home directory (this was about two Ubuntu 16.04.2 work stations) and that seems ti have solved the issue. I could now log in (after one reboot) and all is well again.

Hope this helps someone else.

Patrick

Posted by Harald-RS
Henagon

I have the same Problem under Windows 10 Creators Update.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Harald
----
Sorry for my bad english. I speak only german.
Posted by jpgoossen
Henagon

Hi Harald,

(I will stick to English for any other readers). I have the problem running Teamviewer on one of two Ubuntu 16.04 workstations. It seems to be dependent on the server (the machine I am trying to connct to). Both are similar, but one is Ubuntu 32 bit (and works), the other is 64 bit (and locks up as son as I connect).

The network connections are fine (I do connect and see he login screen of the server I am trying to access).

The client used does not matter. Whether I try to connect from a Windows 10, a MacOS 10.12.4  or a Ubuntu or OpenSuSe computer, all give the same result.

At one point in time I seemed to notice that Teamviewer crashes as soon as I make the connection. So I set up the connection, see the login screen and try to login, and then... nothing. A reboot gets me back to the login screen but agai it stops there.

Might there be an issue with 64 bit and Teamviewer?

Cheers,

Patrick

Posted by Former Staff Jonathan
Former Staff

HI Harald_RS,

Thanks for your post!

Please refer to the following link to see what other users are saying about the topic you are asking about.

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/TeamViewer-12/Windows-10-does-not-look-to-start-service-until-lo...

@jpgoossen, one of our Linux experts will review your question and provide feedback soon.

All the best,

Jonathan

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Posted by jpgoossen
Henagon

So, another update.

I removed Teamviewer completely from both computers (still running Xubuntu 16.04 LTS version). I made sure I included any settings that might have remained.

Reinstalled Teamviewer (12, the version that was current) and made sure that I give the right for remote access by password to the account. Added the computer to my accout s well. And, Lo and behold, it worked, Both the 32-bit version on one PC and the 64-bit version n the other. I could log in on either, from any of the guests (Windows 10, Ubuntu, OpenSuSe 42.2, MacOS 10.12.4).

Now, a few days later, I am experiencing the same problem again. I made no changes (as far as I am aware of) to the computers that run Teamviewer as a server. But, when I log in to the 64 bit version, I see it opening and showing the remote display, but the Linux Log in screen is blocked by a Teamviewer windows that shows: "Awaiting authentication". This when logging in from the same PC that I used to log in yesterday. When I try to log into the other PC (running the 32-bit version of Teamviewer 12, on the same Xubuntu 16.04 LTS), it goes no further than showing "Connecting,"and won't even open the remote display.

I will try to reconfigure again when I am at  the physical ocation of the two Linux workstations, but since I will be out of the country for a week, it is a pain that I cannot be certain that I will be able to connect remotely.

Teamviewer has always been very reliable (and a lot easier to work with than VNC or the likes), so it hurts me to see that it stopped working for me now.

Patrick