Ubuntu 17.10 black screen

Hello,

As of the Ubuntu version 17.10 my teamviewer stopped working: others who join me, get black screen.

I don't know if this is the new Ubuntu version issue, or is this the TeamViewer issue.

Please notify me.

Comments

• iainwels
    iainwels Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hello np_,

I see a lot of posts about this i don't know what it is i think it is because Ubuntu uses another desktop environment that teamviewer does not know. If you log into Unity it should work as normal.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for using teamviewer.

With kind regards, Met vriendelijke groet,
    Iain Wels,
    ICT-Support
    If you found this helpfull please verify it as an solution, so it could help other people
  • np_
    np_ Posts: 2

Is there a way to bypass this issue, while still staying in the gnome desktop environment?

• iainwels

Hello np_,

As if right now there is no bypass for this i am sorry but i am sure that the staff at teamviewer are working on a solution!

I hope this helps.

If you found this helpfull could you please mark it as a solution so it could help other people?

Iain Wels,
    ICT-Support
    If you found this helpfull please verify it as an solution, so it could help other people
  • iainwels

Hello np_,

Maybe this is a dumb question but did you download the ubuntu version of teamviewer here,
    https://www.teamviewer.com/download/linux/

I just found this i am sorry!

Iain Wels,
    ICT-Support
  • schmak01
    schmak01 Posts: 6 ✭✭

The issue isn't that he didn't install the linux version, it's that Ubuntu 17.10 changed the display method to a new source, which the current linux version doesn't support.  

Teamviewer needs to rebuild the application to support the new "driver".

BTW I am having the same issue as the OP, and I don't think marking the solution as "we don't support it yet" is accurate that the Teamviewer folks marked on this thread.  It should be that they are working on it.  Since Ubuntu is very popular, I believe they will have this up and running soon. 

@iainwels wrote:

Hello np_,

Maybe this is a dumb question but did you download the ubuntu version of teamviewer here,
    https://www.teamviewer.com/download/linux/

I just found this i am sorry!

• iainwels

Hello schmak01,

I think that teamviewer is working on a fix for this problem. I asked him to mark it as a solution so other people see that teamviewer is working on a fix and that there is no bypass (At this point of time) so people don't have to put the same post more time's

I hope this helps.

Iain Wels,
    ICT-Support
  • I have found a bypass : use sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
    and switch from wayland (gdm3) to xorg (lightdm).
    But this is a very temporary workaround as I think in the future lightdm won't be used anymore when they will deactivate Unity.

• schmak01

This worked for me, you do have to restart, or at least I did. 

• frantsch
    frantsch Posts: 4 ✭✭

well, there is not really a solution in sight yet, nor a bypass. it would be better to leave this topic at status unsolved but untill there comes a new release of teamviewer 12 fixing this issue.

please make sure to let us know here as soon as teamviewer will come up with any bugfix to this!

• schmak01

@frantsch wrote:

well, there is not really a solution in sight yet, nor a bypass. it would be better to leave this topic at status unsolved but untill there comes a new release of teamviewer 12 fixing this issue.

please make sure to let us know here as soon as teamviewer will come up with any bugfix to this!

Absolutely, it's just a work-around. 

• actually, its even simpler, logout and click on the cog menu, and select Ubuntu on X.org.

this will work indefinetly but i do hope that wayland support comes soon

• It highly depends on which graphics card you relay. Just switching to xorg sometimes does not work, you have to switch to lightdm too for some graphics cards. 

• I have found a bypass : use sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
    and switch from wayland (gdm3) to xorg (lightdm).
    But this is a very temporary workaround as I think in the future lightdm won't be used anymore when they will deactivate Unity.

Wow, it worked perfectly for me (Ubuntu 17.10 artful)!

Note, that at the first time you type this command:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm

It may show you an error, that "lightdm" has not installed yet. If you're getting such a message, you should install the required package:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install lightdm

Then reboot your system or restart your X server.

Hope TeamWork's developers team will find a way to solve this problem without switching display manager.

• This worked for me from the ask Ubuntu forums:

How do you switch from Wayland back to Xorg in Ubuntu 17.10?

If you wish to do it permanently, edit

/etc/gdm3/custom.conf and uncomment the line

#WaylandEnable=false by removing the # in front.

Save the file and then on reboot you will never see the cog asking for which session to use.

• area51pilot
    area51pilot Posts: 9 ✭✭
    this combination from these posts worked for me on 17.10:

$ sudo apt istall lightdm
    $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
    (switch from wayland (gdm3) to xorg (lightdm).)

$ sudo nano /etc/gdm3/custom.conf
    (uncomment the line --> #WaylandEnable=false)

system showed online again, was able to get to the login screen and the desktop

@andyrblankwrote:

This worked for me from the ask Ubuntu forums:

How do you switch from Wayland back to Xorg in Ubuntu 17.10?

If you wish to do it permanently, edit

/etc/gdm3/custom.conf and uncomment the line

#WaylandEnable=false by removing the # in front.

Save the file and then on reboot you will never see the cog asking for which session to use.

• tcmtelecom
    tcmtelecom Posts: 1

Hi

Just to let you know - my Ubuntu machine worked brilliantly on TV on my bench but i got the "black screen" problem when on-site (just using it for remote access). Brought back to bench tested again - brilliant. Unplugged monitor, rebooted - black screen again. Haven't figured a way round it yet but is obviously something to do with monitor being plugged in.

Hope this helps somebody. Regards Stuart

• I wish Ubuntu must have updated

Now I have the darn black screen.

Im on 18.04 though but something on the desktop did change - logged back in on tv and it displays diff.

It didnt do a full update though because there was no desktop applications restarted.