Posted by Staff
Staff

[Update] TeamViewer 13 Beta

LinuxBetaTeaser-Screen-2.png

Update: Final has been released!
See 
[Update] TeamViewer 13

Dear fellow penguins,

today we are releasing TeamViewer 13 beta. With this release, TeamViewer Host for Linux is upgraded from "preview" to beta. By the end of the beta phase, the Linux Host will be a regular, fully supported TeamViewer client.

TeamViewer (full)
Before I go into details, I need to say that during beta, there is no TeamViewer 13 Linux client that provides outgoing connections. So, when installing the Linux Host beta, please keep in mind that you can (for some weeks) only connect from non-Linux systems. However, with the repository in place, you can of course switch between 13 and 12 as often as you like.

Yes, that's a bummer. I hope I can alleviate the pain a bit and convince you that the wait is worth it:
You may have noticed that during the last months we substantially improved the quality of the Host for Linux, but did not have a lot of updates of the full client.
The reason is, that the native Qt-based, Wine-less TeamViewer Host serves as the foundation of all future development. You read that right: TeamViewer 13 will have no Wine in it.
In vino veritas, but in Qt we trust.

TeamViewer Host
Now, back to this release:
As the Host has become pretty stable and almost feature complete, this release is mostly about polishing. The only thing you will immediately notice is the new look. Therefore I'll tell you about the things you'll probably not notice, just so you can appreciate them. Smiley Wink

Some modifications have been made to improve compatibility with Ubuntu 17.10 and some other distros that use gdm as desktop manager.

The control window, which is visible during incoming connections, also has received some attention. It now features the typical handle and can be slid to the edge of the screen. It also now shows a list of the people that are currently connected to this machine. A list? Yes, actually more than one person can be connected at the same time, in case you didn't know.

Another area of work has been the tray icon, status notifier, app notifier or whatever you want to call it. TeamViewer, especially the Host, usually stays in the background and tries to not clutter your taskbar. To still be both visible and accessible, TeamViewer creates an icon in the notification area. In the past, this has been done the ancient X11 way. Of course, this will not be available in a Wayland future. But even today, some distributions no longer offer that, but only support the Freedesktop StatusNotifier.

On the other hand, some distributions do not offer that yet. So with this release, we support both. If it looks nice and shiny, possibly with icons in the menu, then it is the new, DBus-based StatusNotifier, that integrates well with every (supporting) desktop.

Every desktop? Well, almost. Gnome folks have decided that a vanilla Gnome should not support such icons. So, if it is missing on your Gnome desktop, you might want to install the
KStatusNotifierItem/AppIndicator Support plugin.

As always, updates are available via repositories and on our download page.
If you are interested in RedHat and CentOS, please also have a look here.

Enjoy!

All the best,
Daniel

Linux Developer
23 Replies
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Posted by Staff
Staff
Solution

sneak release

How about downloading it right now?
See [Update] TeamViewer 13 for direct download links.
Download page will be updated next week.

Linux Developer
23 Replies
Posted by dagnotland
Henagon

Re: [Update] TeamViewer 13 Beta

when can we expect the beta full version for linux? already some of the customers we serve that run the full version have upgraded to the beta and being stuck on 12 is a pita...

I run Arch and prefer not having to deal with Windows any more than I have to.

Posted by Staff
Staff

We understand that this is an unfortunate situation and there is nothing I'd love to do more than releasing it today. However, we need a bit more time to have something useful. It should be out in about 3 weeks.

This is a one-time event and should not happen again in the future. We just think in the long run everybody will be happier with the native version and the wait is worth it.

In the meantime, you could ask your customers to exit TeamViewer 13 (via tray icon) and have them start a QuickSupport 12.

Linux Developer
Posted by Karpiu
Photon

Is there chance to turn off screen visible on remote desktop under Linux in 13 ?

Posted by Chiron
Hexagon

In the meantime, you could ask your customers to exit TeamViewer 13 (via tray icon) and have them start a QuickSupport 12.

This is incredibly frustrating.

I don't work for TeamViewer. I'm just a user.
Posted by tfenster
Digon

On the contrary it is absolutely amazing to see teamviewer go into the right direction and having to live with a workaround for 3 weeks (!) is really a very small prize to pay

Posted by JedenTag
Trigon

Small price to pay?

tfenster wrote:

... having to live with a workaround for 3 weeks (!) is really a very small prize to pay.

I already paid full price. For a full solution.

Posted by Staff
Staff

Hi Chiron,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, TeamViewer Full version 13 is not available.

Our developers are working hard to release a fully native solution.

We hope our Linux users love it.

However while the Full version is released, as a workaround you can do the following.

If you have google chrome installed on your device you may use the TeamViewer 13 Chrome browser extension.

If you don't have Google Chrome it's available for rpm and deb packages.

https://www.google.com/chrome/

Here is the download link for the TeamViewer Chrome browser extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/teamviewer/oooiobdokpcfdlahlmcddobejikcmkfo?hl=en

With this version, you will be able to connect with devices with TeamViewer 13.

This option you don't have to close TeamViewer 13 and start version 12.

Hope this solution works for you.

Best regards,

Christian

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Posted by Chiron
Hexagon

Thank you @ChristianCay! This will work until v13 is released for Linux.

Here is the download link for the TeamViewer Chrome browser extension: -- https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/teamviewer/oooiobdokpcfdlahlmcddobejikcmkfo?hl=en

I don't work for TeamViewer. I'm just a user.
Posted by JNA
Henagon

Missing Chat feature

The remote connection is available and working true, but the chat feature, which is very useful and very used is not present.

It was very buggy in preceding versions (window focus could not be set on the chat window) and I was hoping this would be fixed on this one.

Posted by Staff
Staff

Re: Missing Chat feature

Dear JNA,

Thank you for your post.

You may use the chat through the management console.

To do so please log in using your TeamViewer account to https://login.teamviewer.com

Hope this works for you.

Best regards,

Christian

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Posted by JNA
Henagon

Re: Missing Chat feature

Sorry, I don't understand. We're using Teaviewer for remote control with generated passwords. On the host side, is it possible to open a management console?

Do you plan to integrate the text chat and the file transfer feature in TV13 under Linux?

Best regards,

JN

ChristianCay wrote:

Dear JNA,

Thank you for your post.

You may use the chat through the management console.

To do so please log in using your TeamViewer account to https://login.teamviewer.com

Hope this works for you.

Best regards,

Christian

Posted by bulletxt
Henagon

Hi,

1: will this native version support Microsoft NTLM Proxy authentication? 
2: is it Qt4 or Qt5 ?

Posted by Bugul
Photon

When will the Linux version for TV13 released?

Posted by Staff
Staff

TeamViewer 13 final

1: will this native version support Microsoft NTLM Proxy authentication? 
2: is it Qt4 or Qt5 ?

It is Qt5.5 (for full TeamViewer), as a dependency not as part of the package.
Qt 5.2 for the Host currently.

NTLM is currently not supported. It seems to be requested rarely, but needs major effort to implement. If we do it, not in the near future. Do you know of Linux applications that support it? Might be interesting which libraries they rely on.

When will the Linux version for TV13 released?

We decided to release it early next week.
It is almost done now. Today is hopefully the last day we change the code, cleaning some rough edges. And some days of testing of course.

Linux Developer