bug: ctrl + any key types the key repeatedly

Announcements

TeamViewer 14 - Preview has been released! Download here

Posted by lg2
Henagon

bug: ctrl + any key types the key repeatedly

i connect from ubuntu to a remote ubuntu, and when I'm connected, when using the CTRL it just types it repeatedly. (team viewer 13.0.6634, and both Ubuntu 16.04)

for examle:

CTRL+c will output in the terminal "ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc"

it makes it really hard to work on a linux terminal as CTRL is oftenly used.

42 Replies
Posted by lg2
Henagon

Re: bug: ctrl + any key types the key repeatedly

team viewer support please Smiley Happy

Posted by djgreene730
Henagon

*bump*

Experiencing this as well. Super annoying.

Posted by mwolf
Digon

same to me here on archlinux plasma...waiting for a new tv13 release with file transfer

Posted by JLC
Henagon

Happening here too - *really* annoying

Linux->Linux 

Posted by kligvasser
Photon

Also here,

happens on all my 3 ubuntu desktops.

Will you fix it already???

Posted by heka
Henagon

Same here... no reply from support so I guess I'll just try some other RDS
Posted by Meserias
Henagon

Also, I could not find a way to send Alt+E or Alt+S to remote connected station in KDE plasma.... this was not happening before this version for Linux. Please update or provide workaround fro this.
Posted by jferrando
Photon

using enterprise version.

the same happeng to me.

really **UNPRODUCTIVE** **ANNOYING**

Posted by CarbonPepper
Henagon

Me too. Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04. 

Client becomes unoperable, with any attempt to do anything resulting in "ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc"

It also inteferes with mouse-clicks, e.g. if you click an application on the taskbar to get the context menu, suddly the interface receives "cccc" whihc aligns to "Close" and the app dissappears.

This is a serious problem which results in data loss.

Posted by dretarastra
Henagon

Same problem here. I got it after updating to version 13, it was fine when I used version 12. I still have the problem even after updating to the most recent version (13.1.8286). My computers are both Linux Mint 18.2 and 18.

Highlighted
Posted by TeamViewer Staff
TeamViewer Staff

Ctrl + <key> problem

Hi guys,

I apologize for the inconvenience. This thread came to my attention (again?) just a few days ago, which was too late to fix it for the current update: June update.
But we put it on the list for the next release.

It seems that it only happens on some machines (does not happen on this developers machine...) and we have to figure out why. It might also be a combination of the local and remote machine.

Cheers,
Daniel

Linux Developer
30 Replies
Posted by mozo
Trigon

Re: Ctrl + <key> problem

I tried it on many machines and the problem is always there. I tried it with Arch and Linux Mint, connecting to many Linux Mint and Windows machines. I don't know why you doesn't experience it...

Posted by mwildam
Trigon

Yes, I also have it on all machines! But interestingly: CTRL+INSERT and SHIFT+INSERT seams to work (at least in current release). In most cases I connect from Ubuntu to Windows and there it always happens if on local and remote site TeamViewer 13 is used. This really drives me crazy! Continuously I delete text when I simply select a word and press CTRL+F to search or when copying and pasting.
TeamViewer Staff

I could only reproduce it if I release the Ctrl key before the other (which usually I never do, out of habit). Maybe you have a different habit for INSERT than for the "normal" keys?

So, until it is fixed, maybe it helps a few of you to make sure the Ctrl-key is released after the other key.

Cheers,
Daniel

Linux Developer
Posted by mwildam
Trigon

Hi, I tried to pay attention on that, but in my case as soon as I press the C-Key, the selected text gets replaced with the c character. So no chance here!
Posted by mwildam
Trigon

Interestingly CTRL+INS and SHIFT+INS works.

I am on a german keyboard - could this make a difference?

TeamViewer Staff

@mwildam wrote:

I am on a german keyboard - could this make a difference?

So am I. Robot wink
No, no difference, but thanks for the input.

Cheers,
Daniel

Linux Developer
Posted by slumbergod
Digon

I'm using a Spanish keyboard and I am connecting to machines with US English keyboards.

This issue with Shift / Control Keys only started happening for me a few weeks ago. Prior to that I cannot recall this problem happening and I would connect with Teamviewer most days. So it could be related to an update. I have no idea when Teamviewer was last updated but I install Ubuntu updates every day or two.

Posted by mwildam
Trigon

I have the problem since install of TeamViewer 13 and it never went away.

Posted by slumbergod
Digon

@daniel if it is possible could you keep us in the loop regarding progress on this bug. One of the things that has really annoyed me with Teamviewer 13 is the way features were rolled out to linux users without being full transparent about the watered-down limitations. It would be a nice change for developers to keep us informed so we feel like progress is being made. This bug is so frustrating for some of us that I am close to abandoning TV13.
Posted by slumbergod
Digon

ATTN Devs: any progress identifying the cause yet? Any progress fixing it? Any workarounds?

Posted by dretarastra
Henagon

I revert back to TeamViewer 12 for now,that version is the most recent one that works well for me.
Posted by kkog
Henagon

Will you solve this annoying problem or should we find another remote controller???

Posted by mozo
Trigon

This is really annoyng bug and it will be great to receive some info about the fixing progress or some feedback from the developer. To remain silent isn't a wise strategy in this case.

Posted by kkog
Henagon

And stuff is apparently not taking this issue very seriously. They are saying things like release ctrl before pressing keys. What is this? Instead of educating us on how to use the keyboard, solve this stupid problem!

Posted by mozo
Trigon

And this solution does not work for me at all Smiley Happy

TeamViewer Staff

@kkog, @mozo: Actually we are actively working on this, but I have been reluctant to say it'll be fixed with the next update, as I'm trying to make sure it is actually fixed.
This bug is pretty nasty, as it does not always occur for everybody, so when we thought it's fixed (because it no longer seems to appear), we were not 100% sure.
Also, I did not try to educate anybody, I tried to figure out whether certain usage patterns trigger the bug.

Meanwhile, I sent a test build to affected people to get verification. First replies sound promising, no faulty behavior reported back. So I'm cautiously optimistic it's fixed.

Cheers,
Daniel

Linux Developer
Posted by mozo
Trigon

Nobody urges you Daniel. The feedback and the lack of information are the missing parts. Thank you for your reply Smiley Happy

Posted by mwildam
Trigon

Sorry for the delay - I was away and under stress - I made further tests (that also required a lot more effort):

Completely new machine, Latest Ubuntu 18.04 and Teamviewer 13 at local and remote: CTRL+C, CTRL+V and other combinations do work now.
Having other machine with older Ubuntu and TeamViewer 13 on both sides does not help - has the issue. Connecting from the new machine to the older (Ubuntu 14.04) with both TeamViewer 13 it works (although I did not expect that). From new machine with Ubuntu 18.04 to remote Windows machine with TeamViewer 13 on both sides works while from the Ubuntu 14.04 to the same remote Windows machine both TeamViewer 13 has the issue.

Posted by mwolf
Digon

On my Manjaro Rolling and Archlinux the Issue is still here as well.

Waiting for 13.2 on Linux.

Posted by mwildam
Trigon

I tried also connecting from the Ubuntu 14.04 (local) to 18.04 (remote, both TeamViewer 13) and then I have the issue, which vice versa I do not have.

This is my locale on the Ubuntu 14.04 and also on the 18.04 - both are the same:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=de_AT.UTF-8
LC_TIME=de_AT.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=de_AT.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER=de_AT.UTF-8
LC_NAME=de_AT.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=de_AT.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=de_AT.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=de_AT.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=de_AT.UTF-8
LC_ALL=

Keyboard layout are both the same (german).

Posted by mwildam
Trigon

I also tried the current TeamViewer 13 version on Ubuntu 16.04 versus 18.04 in both directions and works in both directions. I am on build 13.1.8286. I am pretty sure that at least with an older build of TeamViewer 13 it did not work on Ubuntu 16.04 either (although it was a different machine and not the one I used right now for testing). I hope all these inputs help nailing the problem. However, for my daily work I am currently migrating to Ubuntu 18.04 so for me the problem seems to be solved for the future.

TeamViewer Staff

We've just released our summer update. It contains some improvements for the keyboard handling. Some of you had already tested it and gave mixed feedback. It seems that the behavior is better, but not completely well.
Please leave your feedback on your experience, good or bad.
If you have clues when it happens or how to stop it (e.g. reconnecting), please also share.

Thanks,
Daniel

Linux Developer
Posted by LH_Mouse
Electron

The same on Linux Mint 19 MATE. However I managed to find a workaround:

1. Press the left Alt key.
  2. Press the left Ctrl key.
  3. Release the Alt key.
  4. Press the other combination key e.g. C.
  5. The remote computer responses now as if Ctrl+C was pressed.

Have a nice day.

LH_Mouse.

Posted by pieleric
Henagon

Re: Ctrl + <key> problem (actually Shift press)

I've just tried the "summer update" (13.2.13582), and I'm still facing the issue. To be precise, the issue I'm having is only with Shift (not Ctrl or Alt). From the moment that I press Shift, it stays "stuck". The standard keys are still sent normally (example a stays lowercase, and Shift+a is A), but special keys like arrow up/down/left/right, or delete, etc. are interpreted always with shift at the same. Also (and most annoying) is that mouse clicks are also considered with Shift down.

Both the controlled and controlling computers are running Ubuntu 16.04, with the same keyboard mapping (US international + AltGr). This doesn't happen if the controlling computer is on Windows.

When this happen, running xev, and clicking on the window shows this:

ButtonPress event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x5c00001,
    root 0x110, subw 0x0, time 1370688504, (49,134), rootSmiley Sad916,999),
    state 0x1, button 1, same_screen YES

Note the "state = 0x1". Normally, it should be "state=0x0".

So far, I've found two ways to stop the Shift:

• Teamvewier loses and gets back the focus (in the controlling computer). Note: pressing "Alt" or "Win" on Ubuntu causes Teamviewer to lose the focus, as Unity displays a menu.
  • Stop the Teamviewer connection and restart.

Posted by slumbergod
Digon

I've completely given up on Teamviewer. I would have rolled back to the previous release which worked but it refuses to connect with anyone using version 13.

So I have gone back to **Third Party Product** and it works fine with no problems. In fact, it also fixes another bug in Teamviewer (the clipboard bug).

I wish everyone luck with Teamviewer but it is unusable and no one really knows how to fix the bug.

Posted by mampe71
Electron

I have following problem with teh trafered keys:
If I connect to my main computer from university or work and open from the accessed computer another rdp session to my homeserver - then the AltGr key compinations do not work. On the first hop to the main computer everything works fine. But not on the next hop.

Posted by pavelhoral
Electron

I had issues with Shift key getting stuck when connecting from  Kubuntu 18.04 to Windows 10. I was using "Both Shift together" as my main shortcut for switching keyboard layouts and when I disabled that, Teamviewer started working. So maybe you want to investigate in that direction.

https://ctrlv.cz/shots/2018/10/15/C4Sj.png

Posted by RafaelKa
Electron

Following solves this issue https://automatthias.wordpress.com/2008/06/03/ctrl-key-not-working-in-vnc/

dconf write /org/gnome/settings-daemon/peripherals/mouse/locate-pointer false
Posted by mozo
Trigon

And middle click doesn't work again...

Posted by rz
Electron

Shift+Tab doesn't work either in from Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 10. Started looking for an alternative...