Feature Request - Export Host List & Show Version in Web Console

bjblackmore
bjblackmore Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited May 2023 in General questions

Hi,

We've been using TeamViewer for about 18 months now. We started on TeamViewer v10, and recently upgraded to v11. We have it installed globally, on 8000+ workstations & laptops. However, we've noticed that some workstations are either missing the install, or are not up to date. We used GPO to initially deploy the customized host, and then let it autoupdate via the TeamViewer host policy.

It would be great if we could export the list of hosts via the web console, so we can compare with our active directory workstation list, & then identify those workstations that are missing the install. And also see which version is installed via the console, so we could identify those that have not updated to the latest version!

Many thanks for the consideration!

Ben

Comments

• Aaron_Boshers
    Aaron_Boshers Posts: 47 Moderator

bjblackmore,

Thank you for your post and a warm welcome to our community.

The best way to get the list of devices from the management console will be to use our TeamViewer API. https://integrate.teamviewer.com/en/develop/api/

There is an example of what it can do availabe here. https://integrate.teamviewer.com/en/develop/api/examples/

In order to use the API you need to create a App token. For your application it needs to be from the User side. So the account that has all of the devices like an administrator account would be best.

The API can be used in either python or PowerShell

After you logged in, click on the top right corner on your name and choose "Edit profile"

Access-Token.png

It comes up a window where you should see on the left side a option "Apps". Click on Apps and on "Create script token"

Script Token.png

n the next window you have to set up a name for the token. Choose what you want ;-)
    Click on Drop-Down Box "User management" and set the permissions to "View, create and edit users and admins". After you are set everythin, click on "Save"

Permissions.png

Now you should see your personal script token.

script token create.png

Now that you have the token you can query the managment console and export the list of devices as you need. 

You most likely will want to use the Get Devices command.

It will give you a export of information like this 

"remotecontrol_id": "rxxxxxxxxx",
    "device_id": "dxxxxxxxxx",
    "alias": "XXXXXX",
    "groupid": "gxxxxxxxxx",
    "online_state": "Offline",
    "assigned_to": false,
    "supported_features": "remote_control"

The manual included in the API documentation has everything you need to get started.

You may wish to use a browser extension called Postman it makes the trial and error simple to see how the API works.

You want to make more then 150 requests within 15 minutes?
    Put a Start-Sleep Loop of 7 seconds into the script.

Why you need this?
    The TeamViewer API has the restriction that a script could not make more then 150 within 15 minutes.

Best regards,

Aaron Boshers

Support Engineer

Aaron Boshers
    Senior Enterprise Solutions Engineer

If my reply answered your question, help out other users and click the Accept as a Solution button below.
    You can also say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button! Thanks for being an active member of our Community!
  • mLipok
    mLipok Posts: 781 ⭐Star⭐

@Aaron_Boshers could you please show how to check for TV Version used by devices , as I understand this is what @bjblackmore is asking for.

btw.
    There was a time when I was asking the same via email.
    I would be very happy to do that via API.

But as I see in  TeamViewer API Documentation Version 1.3.8
    there is no way to get information about which TV Version is used by desired device ID.

btw.
    As you can see in my signature I'm AutoIt MVP.
    Currently I'm working on TeamViewer API function set for AutoIt (in AutoIt it is called UDF - UserDefinedFunction)

You can watch my progress here:
    https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/166205-teamviewer-api-udf-a-modest-beginning/

Regards,
    mLipok , AutoIt MVP
  • Aaron_Boshers

mLipok,

Thank you for the response.

You are correct that there is no current way to see what version there is on the devices.

But, at least you can see what devices have TeamViewer and compare that against the list they have.

The API can only see what is available on the Management console.

Regards,

Aaron Boshers

If my reply answered your question, help out other users and click the Accept as a Solution button below.
    You can also say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button! Thanks for being an active member of our Community!
  • mLipok

@Aaron_Boshers wrote:

But, at least you can see what devices have TeamViewer and comapre that against the list they have.

What you mean ?

Regards,
    mLipok , AutoIt MVP
  • Aaron_Boshers

mLipok,

With the Get devices from above you can get the devices in your computers and contacts from the MCO. 

Get Devices command.

It will give you a export of information like this

"remotecontrol_id": "rxxxxxxxxx",
    "device_id": "dxxxxxxxxx",
    "alias": "XXXXXX",
    "groupid": "gxxxxxxxxx",
    "online_state": "Offline",
    "assigned_to": false,
    "supported_features": "remote_control"

With this export you then can compare against the "active directory workstation list" that bjblackmore had spoke of to see what machines do not have the software installed. 

Regards,

Aaron Boshers

• mLipok

Oh now I understand what You mean.

Case 1:
    I'm not familiar with ActiveDirectory (maybe a little but I'm not expert), so I ask.
    @bjblackmore told:
    "We have it installed globally, on 8000+ workstations & laptops."

Case1Question1: Is it possible to have one  "active directory workstation list" in the local server located at the company's headquarters ?

Case1Question2:
    How to bind the result with a list of Active Directory ? I mean which inforation is related to Active Directory ?

Case 2:
    I have about 60 clients, I have a contact list to almost all devices more than 500.
    Not all my clients have "ActiveDirectory" even I do not have !
    I have in my office only 1 standalone PC and each of my staff member have 1 notebook (togther 5 devices in my small company), we are very often in a bussiness trip so we are contacting via email, CLOUD , ticketing systems etc....

Case2Question1: I ask how we can remontly check if all ON LINE devices uses recent TV version, especially TeamViewer Host on 60 servers ?

Case 3:
    @bjblackmore ask about: "are either missing the install, or are not up to date"

Case3Question1: And this is what I asking too (in Case2).

Regards,
    mLipok

Regards,
    mLipok , AutoIt MVP
  • Aaron_Boshers

mlipok,

C1Q1: 

There may be separate lists for each location but should not be hard to export and compile all to one list. 

C1Q2:

The names of the machines come by default the netbios name for legacy compatibility and should match the naming schema of the AD under the Alias from the API.

C2Q1:

The version of TeamViewer the remote machines is not listed in the Managment Console and thus is not possible via API, so this is a feature request.

C3:

For his case he could at least eliminate the machines that do not have the install by getting the devices he has on TV to compare against his list of machine. 

Regards,

Aaron Boshers

• mLipok

Thanks for all your answers

Special answer to:

@Aaron_Boshers wrote:

C2Q1:
    The version of TeamViewer the remote machines is not listed in the Managment Console and thus is not possible via API, so this is a feature request.

Please treat this as feature request.
    Could you (TeamViewer devs Team) make it possible ? 

Regards,
    mLipok , AutoIt MVP
  • mLipok

btw.
    I hope @bjblackmore to give any further comments ...

:smileywink:

Regards,
    mLipok , AutoIt MVP
  • bjblackmore
    Hi,
    Will answer some of the questions tomorrow if that's OK, as we're out on our company Christmas party.
    I can provide details on how to export the computer list view the AD Users & Computers console and also PowerShell or LDAP queries.
    Would also be good to have the version as a feature request.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • bjblackmore
    Hi, Sorry for the delay in replying. Friday was a busy day. You can use the export button in ADUC to export a list per OU in CSV or tab dilimiated format:photo ADExport.jpg Or you can use dsquery or PowerShell as described here: Both sites have good information, you can export all compuyers, with just hostname, or get more information like type, and description, or filter by OU. Hope this helps! Ben
  • bjblackmore

PowerShell Admin

4sysops

Shell script:

Import-Module ActiveDirectory
    Get-ADComputer -Filter * | Select -Expand Name | Export-Csv c:\ADExport.csv