Posted by RYACOM
Digon

TeamViewer 13 Client Will Not Let me Sign In

The Email and Password field are grayed out.  I've tried reinstalling the software and I've rebooted my computer multiple times.  I even downloaded the client again.... I need some help to figure this one out.  The client was working fine for a long time.  This started a few days ago.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Posted by kimenemark
Trigon
Solution

Re: TeamViewer 13 Client Will Not Let me Sign In

Perhaps I'm not explaining myself good enough... sorry for that.

I also have production VM's on the PC. You don't have to remove anything. Just disable Hyper-V and reboot PC.
Then log in to TeamViewer.
Then enable Hyper-V again and reboot.
Now both your VM's work and TeamViewer works... at least in my setup.

EDIT:
I can explain in more detail if you need it...
55 Replies
Posted by Dominik971
Henagon

Hi,

I have the same issue since wenesday... Did you get a solution ?

Posted by kimenemark
Trigon

I have the exact same issue since friday where I updated my version 13 to latest build!!!

Posted by RYACOM
Digon

Nope.  Nothin' so far.

Posted by kimenemark
Trigon

Sorry for your problems mate... I'm a paying customer... would kind of annoy me if non-paying users would get help before me ;)

You get annoying messages... My teamviewer don't work at all... a little different issue I think?

Hope to get help sooner than later... I would consider spending my money elsewhere if not :)

Posted by kimenemark
Trigon

Any of you using Hyper-V on the PC's with this problem?

I got so desperate that I tried to find a solution myself.

In my case I tracked it down to an issue with my Hyper-V setup on my notebook (still not sure what exactly... propably somehow the Virtual Switch setup).

If I disable Hyper-V on the PC and reboot then I can suddenly login to the desktop TeamViewer program with my credentials and see all my clients.

After that, I enabled the Hyper-V setup and rebooted again and TeamViewer still works.

Hopefully this helps others in similar situations... and perhaps support can use it as well ;)

Posted by TheDeadLotus
Digon

I was able to find a work around (which renders the desktop app pointless) is to log in inside a browser, then "Connect" to the computer that I'm on. This will log me into the desktop app so I can then use the app. This started Friday when I got a new computer at work. My old one was running Windows 7, this one is running Win 10. 

Posted by kimenemark
Trigon

I tried that as well (also running Windows 10) but it didn't work for me... the 2 fields (username/password) was both greyed and not editable in TeamViewer desktop program!

Posted by Dominik971
Henagon

I confirm that HYPER V seems to be the origin of my troubles...

Uninstalling Hyper V allows me to use Teamviever and log in...

But now if i want to use Hyper V and Teamvier... do not really know how to make them work side-by-side...

Posted by TheDeadLotus
Digon

I have no idea why this workaround works. 

Posted by kimenemark
Trigon

After login both works side by side for me... if I log out of TeamViewer I'm sure I will have to do it all over again... haven't tried but will try to track problem further once I get more time... hopefully in a couple of days... if not support beats me to it ;)

Have a nice day :)

Posted by RYACOM
Digon

I was actually going to ask the same question.  I also am using Hyper-V.  I have to use it though, and disabling/removing and re-enabling isn't something I can do on this machine.  There are production VMs on it.

I am a paying customer, too.  I'm going to find a number and call in to see if we can get this resolved.  I had a pretty strong feeling that was the culprit.  I had a similar issue with the Microsoft Store and Minecraft of all things.  Something to do with the Virtual Switch was making it unable to authenticate to the store while ingame.  It also wouldn't let me see purchases within the store that is ingame.  They eventually patched it and it's fixed.

Wish me luck.

Posted by kimenemark
Trigon
Solution

Perhaps I'm not explaining myself good enough... sorry for that.

I also have production VM's on the PC. You don't have to remove anything. Just disable Hyper-V and reboot PC.
Then log in to TeamViewer.
Then enable Hyper-V again and reboot.
Now both your VM's work and TeamViewer works... at least in my setup.

EDIT:
I can explain in more detail if you need it...
Posted by RYACOM
Digon

Do you mean remove it as a Windows Feature, reboot, sign in to TeamViewer then add it back?  Will all of my settings for my VMs still be there?

Posted by kimenemark
Trigon

Yep... thats what I mean... your settings will not be affected. However... I shut all my VM's down before I disabled the Hyper-V feature... just in case ;-)
Posted by RYACOM
Digon

Yep, this worked.  I thought about doing it before but I was concerned I'd have to set up all my VMs again.  Thanks, @kimenemark!

Posted by VBScab
Henagon

I can confirm that doing this dance fixes the problem. Truly bizarre...

Posted by kimenemark
Trigon

Hi guys... as promised... I have done some more testing and reported my findings to support.

When I'm running with Hyper-V disabled I have absolutely no issues.

If I start Hyper-V service (and reboot PC) I also have no problems but as soon as I start one of my VM's (they don't start automaticly) I'm not able to use TeamViewer... It just won't log me into my account (desktop program).

As soon as I disable Hyper-V service (and reboot PC) again TeamViewer works again.

So I think my reasoning in one of my earlier posts were right... it's somehow the Hyper-V switch thats the issue.

I have collected info for the support team in the 3 stages so I hope they will be abe to fix the issue.

Posted by RYACOM
Digon

I also need to give a little extra detail into my experience with this, a week or more after the suggestion to remove the Hyper-V feature and add it back.

On Monday I was going to open a VM to test a script and noticed that all of my VMs were off.  This is not normal.  After a little bit of investigation I realized that my virtual switch had been wiped.  All of my custom virtual networks were gone.  Whenever I tried to start my VMs they failed with a pretty ambiguous error.  I had to remove all of the network adapters from all of my VMs, remove the Hyper-V feature (two reboots),  add it back (two reboots), and uncheck the "Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch" option each physical adapter before I could recreate the virtual switches and attach them to the physical adapters.  Just a heads up for anyone who tries the "Remove the Hyper-V" suggestion. 

Just to be clear, the suggestion did work.  I am still able to get into TeamViewer and connect to my clients now, and I have rebooted and still am able to log in.  My VMs are up and working. I just didn't know that it was going to do that.

Make sure to plan an outage of at least 45 minutes if  you're going to attempt this, more or less depending on the amount of virtual networks and VMs/adapters you have.

Posted by kimenemark
Trigon

Sorry for your troubles regarding my suggestion. I had testet it thoroughly on my own system before I wrote the fix and I had absolutely no problems and still don't when I test (have testet several times to help support). Perhaps your setup is more complicated than mine.

Anyways... when changing anything in a critical production Hyper-V/VM environment it's quite important to take messures to be able to recover from failure.

Hope they fix this soon... I still have problems after I have started a VM so I guess you are lucky on that point... Perhaps I should also try to wipe my switch and recreate?

Posted by JamesB007
Electron

I don't use or have Hyper V active yet I still cannot sign in

Posted by RYACOM
Digon

@kimenemark, I didn't mean that to come across as I was upset with you or your solution.  You had a solution.  It worked.  I have to have TeamViewer to do my job every day and I wasn't getting anywhere on my own.  I did suspect Hyper-V but I was really nervous about removing the service because I wasn't sure of the ramifications. 

I have four different Virtual Switches tied to a 4 port PCI-e NIC.  A few of my VMs are on different VLANs.  My actual VM environment isn't super critical.  Obviously, because I didn't notice for a few days :).  I would never have just pulled the trigger as quickly as I did if it were a production or customer environment. 

As far as you continuing to have issues, that's weird, too.  I was a bit cavalier with my implementation in that I didn't even shut down my VMs when I removed the Hyper-V service :D.  I figured that's why I ran into the Virtual switches being deleted and the virtual NICs on each VM having to be removed and reinstalled.  Try that :)

Posted by RYACOM
Digon

Oh, one more thing, All of my virtual NICs are set to not interact with the host OS.  I'm not sharing my NIC that use for access to the network on my host computer.

Posted by TheDeadLotus
Digon

@JamesB007 I didn't have Hyper V activated when I installed TeamViewer, so I enabled it, rebooted, disabled it, rebooted, and now I can sign into the TV app. It makes no sense, but that's what I did to get it to work. I also do not use it. 

Posted by JamesB007
Electron

Great thank you. I'll try that. They really need to fix this
Posted by JamesB007
Electron

Hyper V isn't even listed as one of my Windows Features
Posted by VBScab
Henagon

Then you have the ”wrong” flavour of Windows. You need Pro or Enterprise. Use VirtualBox instead. I don't have any of these problems with it.
Posted by TheDeadLotus
Digon

Posted by JamesB007
Electron

Then there must be some other sign in issue with TV which is unrelated to Hyper V :-(

Posted by TheDeadLotus
Digon

@JamesB007 Hyper V is still active but it can't be disabled (very easily) in Win 10 Home. 

I was able to find This (USE AT YOUR OWN RISK) this is instructions to disable Hyper V for Win 10 Enterprise so it's untested on the Win 10 Home. I have no idea if it will work or not since I have Win 10 Pro and Enterprise. This was the only answer that I could find that is even close to what you are wanting. 

If this doesn't work then maybe try contacting TV (lol, good luck if you're a free user). 

Posted by JamesB007
Electron

Thanks but looks like I'm just out of luck with Team Viewer until if/when they fix this

Posted by mda400
Henagon

13.1 still works. its 13.2 that starts having this issue. I run a Server 2016 with MDT vm and Windows 10 pre-release vm at the same time, so I disabled automatic updates for now.

I've experimented with removing the additional virtual ethernet connections, disabling Enhanced Session mode, disabling memory integrity (Win defender virtualization-based security), disabling/re-enabling Hyper-V feature as above (which teamviewer will allow sign in until i start a VM so it likely has something to do with a service Hyper-V is using that the new 13.2 TV version doesn't play well with). and no luck.

Posted by fcjbispo
Henagon

Hi,

I tried this solutions and for a while it seems to be working. But when in the very moment i did put a VM to boot.. Boom! Teamviewer blocked the login fields! **bleep**!!!
Posted by TheDeadLotus
Digon

Sorry @fcjbispo I don't run VM's so I'm of no help. :'(
Posted by stargate
Electron

This is not a SOLUTION it's a WORKAROUND!!!!

Can someone please remove the "Solved" mark from this thread so devs come back to this issue again?

Posted by DSperber
Trigon

@stargate wrote:

This is not a SOLUTION it's a WORKAROUND!!!!

I would agree, but the story and "solution/workaround" is remarkably similar to my own issue as  described in this other thread I recently created.

In my case involving the use of a Win7 HTPC, Windows Media Center (WMC) and "extenders" which are actually Remote Desktop clients that "connecting" to the HTPC through RDP. These extenders are actually RDP client systems making use of WMC running on the HTPC when they are powered on and connect, essentially facilitating WMC on the HTPC via RDP and the GUI of the extender as seen on the screen of the attached HDTV.

Just as with the VM-being-active aspect of this thread seems to be the "culprit" which prevents username and password in the Computers and Contacts window from being usable to log into TeamViewer 13 environment, the exact same symptom occurs for me on my HTPC whenever any of my five WMC extenders are being used (i.e. when an RDP connection is active to the HTPC). As long as an extender is active, the Computers and Contacts window "goes blank", (a) showing none of the already active TeamViewer connections which were initiated prior to a WMC extender active and are actually still running , and (b) having an unusable Computers and Contacts username and password field and SIGNIN button.  And as soon as all WMC extender connections are terminated like magic the Computers and Contacts window once again becomes usable, and the username and password areas and SIGNIN button all return to normal functionality and I now can connect to TeamViewer again.

I believe this is a relatively recent "new feature" of some recent TeamViewer version.  Until I discovered for myself the relationship between an active WMC extender RDP session to the HTPC as the "giant clue" that caused this to happen, I was simply mystified.  But I had discovered that if I re-boot the HTPC I could once again get the normal TeamViewer Computers and Clients functionality working properly, so that's what I would do (as obviously annoying as this was, since a re-boot had to be performed when there was no TV program recording going on at that moment). Of course what was actually happening as a result of the re-boot was that all WMC extender RDP sessions were not active (at least temporarily, until I once again started one or more of them again as I watched TV on my remote HDTV's via WMC and these extender RDP sessions).

But now that I understand the external story (if not why truly TeamViewer is negatively affected by an RDP session being active, to the extent that the Computers and Contacts GUI simply "breaks") I no longer need to re-boot in order to get a newTeamViewer connection active and enabled.  I simply need to stop all of my WMC extender RDP session, and then use the once-again-active Computers and Contacts window to establish connection with one of my TeamViewer team PC's.  Then I can once again start the WMC extenders, since it is only the Computers and Contacts window which is negatively affected... not the actual already-active TeamViewer connections that might already be running.

Posted by Sudrigian
Proton

I'm having the same problem in linux, runing Ubuntu 18.04.

Highlighted
Posted by Toast
Electron

It actually related to the Hyper-V network adapters, not Hyper V as a whole. Disable the Hyper-V network adapters. Then you can login. Once logged in, you can enable the adapters again.

Update: Complete work around.

1. Open Control Panel.
  2. Select Network and Internet
  3. Click Network and Sharing Center.
  4. Click Change Adapter Settings
  5. Right-click your Primary network adpater and select Properties.
  6. Click the Sharing tab.
  7. Check the Allow other network user to connect through checkbox.
  8. Under the home networking connection, select the Hyper-V Default Switch.

For whatever reason, some programs (such as TeamViewer) want to use the Hyper-V Default Switch.

8 Replies
Posted by DSperber
Trigon

@Toast wrote:

It actually related to the Hyper-V network adapters, not Hyper V as a whole. Disable the Hyper-V network adapters. Then you can login. Once logged in, you can enable the adapters again.

If you are a licensed TeamViewer user, have you also opened an official support ticket with them so that you can communicate your findings?  I'm not sure they monitor this forum, so communicating amongst ourselves and passing around solutions or workarounds is great, but not what is really needed. What is really needed is to fix this recent new problem which has appears, to make it go away for real.

I am a free TV user, so I cannot request support from them and can't submit a ticket.  We need licensed users to submit tickets.

In my case, as I described earlier above in the thread, it was TV Computers and Contacts window "instantly going blank, prevening login" on my HTPC where TV was running, whenever a Windows Media Center extender connected to my HTPC.  This connection is through Remote Desktop Connection (RDP) and the extender actually is a remote RDP client user with the HTPC being the RDP host server.

I suspect in your case of VM, and Hyper V and Hyper-V Network Adapters, I would guess this an exact conceptual equivalent of Windows Media Center (RDP host) and extenders (RDP clients).  WMC can support up to five extenders being connected at one time and as long as at least one is still connected the TeamViewer Computers and Contacts window remains unusable.  Once the number of connected WMC extenders drops down to zero, the TV window instantly becomes usable for login again and connection to users.

And just as with your Hyper-V story, once RDP-connected extenders are all connected (i.e. activated and in use to watch TV at remote locations around the house), they can remain connected and will work just fine indefinitely even if the Team Viewer Computers and Contacts window is "blank and unusable" for all that same period of time.

This same story with Wndows Media Centers and extenders and Team Viewer behavior in the presence of RDP connections, this has also been reported identically by other users on this Team Viewer Forum who are simply pure users of RDP client/server connections where Team Viewer is running on the RDP server.  As soon as an RDP client connects, the Team Viewer connection window goes blank and becomes unusable.  Once the RDP client disconnects, the Team Viewer connection window becomes usable again.

I would like to communicate all of this information regarding RDP and its harmful impact on the Team Viewer connection window because of something they've recently changed in Team Viewer, but can't because I'm a free user and can't submit a ticket.  Similarly, your similar story about VM and Hyper-V client/server and Hyper-V adapters and its impact on the Team Viewer connection window needs to be reported to them in a ticket.

So, if you are a licensed user... please submit a ticket and provide my RDP-related explanation here as well as your Hyper-V story. If you aren't a license duser, hopefully there is in fact some real licensed user experiencing the same RDP or Hyper-V symptoms, and WILL take the time to submit a ticket to Team Viewer providing both the symptoms as well as what we now know is the "solution" (i.e. our workaround, until they fix the Team Viewer product to not cause this behavior for us).

Thanks.

Posted by DSperber
Trigon

@Toast wrote:

1. Open Control Panel.
  8. Under the home networking connection, select the Hyper-V Default Switch..

Fabulous.  But I only understand 1-7.  I don't know what you're describing in 8.

Is 1-7 one part of the recipe, intended to be followed by pushing the OK button and then going on to 8?

Or is 8 something you then do after 1-7 and before pushing OK, such as pushing the "Settings" button on the dialog in order to check Hyper-V Default Switch which is presumably running as a service on your machine that supports Hyper-V to be selected?  And then you push OK on the Settings dialog after checking the Hyper V service and returning to the previous dialog, at which point you now push OK? I, of course, don't currently show Hyper-V on my own machine in that "active services" list available for checking, but then I don't run the product.

Will the Hyper V service already be showing on your machine supporting it as an already active service, or do you have to ADD it?  Or does a Hyper-V adapter need to be active at the moment in order for the service to be showing?

Again... please clarify where the OK button (once or twice) is pushed in your above recipe.  And what exactly do I do for 8?

I'm trying to adapt this technique to my Windows Media Center extender/RDP story, which I suspect is identical in underlying concept to your Hyper-V story, and the overall issue with how Team Viewer is impacted.

Posted by kimenemark
Trigon

As stated above I'm a licensed Teamviewer user.

I contacted support even before I eventually came up with the workaround (read above) because I couldn't wait (customers needed my help :smileywink:).I sent them several log dumps and exlained my problems and findings in several emails after which they created a ticket.
I have also pointed them to this thread where I told they could find more information from other users.

I have not heard from them in a while though... been too busy!

Posted by DSperber
Trigon

@@Toast wrote:

1. Open Control Panel.
  8. Under the home networking connection, select the Hyper-V Default Switch.

Tried to adapt this idea to my Windows Media Center / RDP / extender situation, and I'm not successful.  Again, I didn't quite follow what you 8 really was asking me to do.

So I went to my HTPC where there actually is a hardware Ceton TV tuner card in it which utilizes a driver based on TCPIP connection to the MAC address in the hardware. In other words the tuner card has an IP address (192.168.1.200) and the driver talks to it using internet protocol.

And when I performed step 6 above I was presented with the following dialog. Note that it actually DOES show a "home networking internet connection" button (which I now assume is what you're referring to in 8) whereas on my earlier PC I had tried this recipe on this extra item didn't show.

raN0q9

But if I select the Ceton hardware item and then check the box for "allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection" I get an error message when finally pushing the OK button on the dialog.  Cannot be done.  Obviously the Ceton hardware and the supporting hardware isn't designed to be "shared" in some way.

So I left the first sharing option un-checked just as it was, with no selected private network connection.

T9C2nd

Note that the second option box is grayed out. The second box is pre-checked by default even if ICS (i.e. the first option box) is un-checked.  But apparently you can't modify anything for the second option using its SETTINGS button while in this state.

However if the first ICS box is simply checked, without actually trying to select a private connection, then the second option box and its Settings button become un-grayed, allowing you do drill down into what Settings shows.

And when I did that, remarkably there is a Remote Desktop item available for checking.

LDk4qs

So I tried simply checking the RDP box and pushing OK, returning me to the first dialog window with both option boxes checked but no private network connection item selected.  And when I pushed OK on this combination, again it errored out claiming that I MUST specify a private network connection in order to use internet connection sharing (ICS).

Well, looking closer at the dropdown list items in that private network connection item, at the bottom there is a "local area connection 2", which is completely irrelevant in the current story.  I believe this may have come from when I was running my PC through a different router but which is no longer in use. Or, I believe my PC motherboard has a second wired ethernet port that I do not use.

b8v83W

I then simply left the Remote Desktop service box checked and pushed OK in the second dialog, and then un-checked the ICS option box in the primary Sharing dialog (again graying out the items below it). Then I pushed OK.  And then trying to connect with my WMC extender sure enough once again the Team Viewer connections window went blank, so obviously I had accomplished ZERO in checking RDP service but not also activating ICS in the first box (because I couldn't).

Bottom line: I can't see exactly what to do, if anything, to overcome the current Team Viewer issue as it applies to RDP. If you're saying things work differently in the VM Hyper-V situation I'm not surprised.  They're probably kind of similar to each other but obviously RDP has nothing to do with ICS and checking the first box, whereas the Hyper-V adapter for that situation apparently satisfies whatever is required to enable ICS and overcome the Team Viewer issue.

Nevertheless, I think this is all caused by some change Team Viewer has recently made, and that is a complete disaster for users. It needs to be corrected by the vendor in its software, and not by requiring some change to the user computer setup if even possible (as it doesn't appear to be in my RDP situation).

Posted by evanly
Digon

While i'm appreciative of @kimenemark posting this, this is not actually a solution, and it does not prevent the issue from recurring.

TeamViewer should NOT require this for such incredibly basic functionality.
Posted by evanly
Digon

+1 Disabling/re-enabling Hyper-V feature as above works until I start a VM.

Luckily, I only need VMs to do mission-critical operations. Not good enough.
Posted by DanZ
Henagon

Teamviewer is pile of dog **bleep**. What a fail. Can't you just fix the problem, it's been months as people were complaining and the problem is still there.

I have the problem ON ALL OF MY PCs. All of them have the problem. EVERY SINGLE ONE has the problem. MacBook where I run windows (bootcamp), my windows desktop has the problem, and my ubuntu VM also has the same **bleep** problem. WHAT A PILE OF **bleep** seriously.

Posted by DanZ
Henagon

Even though it works, this absolutely cannot be marked as solution to the problem. It's a crytical bug in TV software that must be solved by them and not by us doing weird dances.

I run VM all the time in HyperV, I absolutely cannot uninstall or turn it off, so TV sign-in for me basically does not work at all.

Posted by TWG
Henagon

Hey Guys,

I had a similar case and found out that in Options-->General(tab)-->Incoming lan connection I had "accept exclusively" selected.

You might want to check that too.

Cheers

Posted by oldgayracist
Electron

I had the same issue

I went to Extras > Options > General

in the 'Account assignment' I've tried to assign my account, but there was an error saying that niether name or password match (I double checked it was correct)

rebooted pc

after reboot I've started teamviewer, instantly saw the same arror message in the pop-up window and now I'm able to type in the inputs, nothing is greyed out.

I hope it helps 

Posted by pacz
Henagon

Hello DSperber,

Did you ever resolve this issue?  I have the same set up with Ceton, WMC, HTPC.  TV will not let me sign in.  I just upgraded to TV14 and it still will not allow authentication?

If it matters, TV worked perfectly before TV13.  So, something obviuously changed in these new versions.

Posted by Den_LiteManager
Digon

Does this problem exists on VirtualBox?