TeamViewer remote assist workflow

deonb
deonb Posts: 2
edited May 2023 in General questions

When I'm trying to assist someone with TeamViewer, I have to:

a) Establish an instant video call and send an invite link (this is fine)

b) The remote person connects to the link and download the software (fine).

c) I then have to guide the remote person to:

i) Click on Share Screen on the video window. This is difficult for a lot of people because there is 2 TeamViewer Windows that pop up - the Video window and Control window. So you can't just say "In your TeamViewer window click share". 50% of users will get it wrong.

ii) Get the person to click on Participants / Remote control, which is on the Control Window and HIDDEN from me (drawn in Gray), so you can't see if they're doing the right thing.

iii) Have the person now go and Minimize the Control Window since it's always-on-top, drawn in Gray for the remote user, and you can't minimize it remotely. (PC assisting OSX anyway).

iv) Have the person now go and Minimize the Video Window since it's always-on-top, drawn in Gray remotely, and you can't minimize it remotely. This one is especially hard for users to find. What makes it even harder is that if the user don't minimize it, but simply switch to another windows, THEY will not see it, but you will see it as a Gray window that obscures everything.  (PC assisting OSX anyway).

Only after these steps can I really start working on that machine - and this can take 5 to 10 minutes to get a user to do this right.  With Zoom, this is MUCH easier - there is only one Window that the user interacts with, and the user just needs to find Share. After that I request control and the user just approves - the user don't have to go look for a fairly obscure menu item of how to grant Control.

The number of steps that you have to blind-guide a user into makes the initial establishment pretty much unusable if you have a novice computer user on the other side. Am I just missing the boat here and there is a much easier way to go from a Video call to a Remote control?

I know I can reverse the workflow and start from Remote control first and add Video conf later, but then you don't have the easy setup link that you can send out. This causes even more problems.

Comments

• Scotty
    Scotty Posts: 493 Staff member 🤠

Hi deonb,

Welcome to the community!

I am sorry if I sound a bit blunt, but simply put, you are trying to use the "meeting" part of the software for support which it is not designed for. this means that the experience will not be streamlined as this function of the software is for a different purpose.

From the instructions you gave, I understand you want to set up the video call first, but generally you establish the connection to them, then initiate the video call.

As a licensed user, I would recommend you look at creating a custom module (QuickSupport specifically) this will create a custom link you can use for your clients and it has all your branding on it ready to go.

It will also make the connection a lot more simple, of course the video call still comes after the initial connection and unfortunately this is just the way the software is designed.

And of course, please contact our support team if you would like a demo of how this works.

I hope this helps :)

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
  • deonb
    deonb Posts: 2

Thanks. I added one of those custom quicksupport's, and it's rediculously slow to download. Over 5 minutes on a 1gbps connection for a 14 MB file.

Does it just take some time to propogate through the CDN and it will get better a few days from now? Or do we have to host it on our own CDN's if we want reasonable performance?

• Scotty
    Scotty Posts: 493 Staff member 🤠

Hi deonb,

The QuickSupport should definitely not be this slow.

I would raise this with our support team if you can as we would need more information

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/support/contact/

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?