"The TeamViewer service could not be started"...

ChrisFox
ChrisFox Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited May 2023 in General questions

TeamViewer 11 stopped working on me (on Windows 10).  Tried everything to restart.  Finally uninstalled then resintalled.  Upon reinstall I get the message "The TeamViewer service could not be started.  The installation will be continued."  See attachment.
But TeamViewer will not start after this.  Also, there is all no service installed - looking in Admin Services.  I'm doing a Basic install so I can remotely access a friend (in need!).
Please help.

Thanks,

Chris

Capture.JPG

Comments

• bartlanz
    bartlanz Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

You might want to try installing just the host. It is available under the downloads section.

But if you have your mind set on this route (full TeamViewer on the host computer). Have a look at the system logs (windows +x > Computer Management > Event Viewer > Windows Logs > I'd start in Application and go through them and see if there is an error that happens when you try and start the service.

If my post was helpful, Please throw me a Kudos.
    If my post fixed your issue, please mark it as the solution to help the next person find a solution quickly.
    Bart Lanzillotti
  • ChrisFox

Did some clean up around the admin account permissions but didn't help.  Still get the same error message and nothing in the Event Log.  Anything you can suggest?

• ChrisFox

Installing just the host gives me the same error. 

• zyxmuzik
    zyxmuzik Posts: 2 ✭✭

Same happened to me. I also have Windows 10 (Home), and I've tried both TV11 and TV12, always with same results, with any application or TV edition (Full, QS, Host).
    In the Event Viewer I could see the following:

Faulting application name: TeamViewer.exe, version: 12.0.5541.0, time stamp: 0x583318bc
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.14393.447, time stamp: 0x5819be95
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00026d99
    Faulting process id: 0x3910
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d245819394cf4f
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer\TeamViewer.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 985295b1-234c-43c9-b698-fb1d43f78643
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

or

Fault bucket , type 0
    Event Name: APPCRASH
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: TeamViewer.exe
    P2: 12.0.5541.0
    P3: 583318bc
    P4: ntdll.dll
    P5: 10.0.14393.447
    P6: 5819be95
    P7: c0000005
    P8: 00026d99
    P9:
    P10:

Attached files:
    \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER6DE.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
    \\?\C:\Users\MarianoL\AppData\Local\Temp\WER77B.tmp.appcompat.txt
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_TeamViewer.exe_217e5421fd730334d5e92d22a3c74480a3464f_85c32d84_cab_2cb40846\memory.hdmp
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_TeamViewer.exe_217e5421fd730334d5e92d22a3c74480a3464f_85c32d84_cab_2cb40846\triagedump.dmp
    WERGenerationLog.txt

These files may be available here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_TeamViewer.exe_217e5421fd730334d5e92d22a3c74480a3464f_85c32d84_cab_2cb40846

Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: 985295b1-234c-43c9-b698-fb1d43f78643
    Report Status: 100
    Hashed bucket:

Finally, I was able to connect remotely using Web Client of TV Manager.

I'm not able to attach logs and/or dump files, or at least I can't see how...

If someone can help us (me and Chris, at least), and needs more info, please, let me know.

Best regards, in advance.

MarianoL

• zyxmuzik
    zyxmuzik Posts: 2 ✭✭

Same issue running Portable version. I'm going now to lookout what's about ntdll.dll, and if I can get a solution.

Regards

MJL

• bartlanz
    bartlanz Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

This is from another thread in another forum, but here is where you might want to start... Number 7 is one I'd look at close.

Cause of Ntdll.dll Errors

The causes of ntdll.dll error messages can vary greatly. However, most ntdll.dll errors result from a corrupt or damaged version of the ntdll.dll file itself, corrupt hardware drivers, or issues between Windows and other programs. Ntdll.dll errors can sometimes mean that a piece of hardware in your computer is malfunctioning, but this is rare.
    How To Fix Ntdll.dll Errors

1. Restart your computer. The ntdll.dll error you're receiving could be due to a one-time, temporary issue and a simple reboot may resolve the problem completely.
    2. Reinstall the program if the ntdll.dll error only displays when you use a specific program.

If the software program has any updates or service packs available, install them too. The software's programmers may have identified an issue with the program that caused the ntdll.dll error and then issued a patch for it.

Note: Third party software programs that have been installed on your computer are almost always the cause of ntdll.dll errors. The remainder of these troubleshooting steps resolve ntdll.dll issues only rarely.
    3. Check the Windows service pack level you're running and then check Microsoft's support site to see if there is a more recent service pack available for installation. Some issues that caused ntdll.dll errors have been corrected in these service packs from Microsoft.
    4. Selectively disable Internet Explorer add-ons. If your ntdll.dll error is displaying when you start, run, or close Internet Explorer, an add-on may be causing the problem. Disabling each add-on, one by one, will determine which add-on is the culprit (if any).

Note: As a workaround, assuming the ntdll.dll error really is Internet Explorer related, install and use a competing browser like Firefox.
    5. Rename the NLSPATH system variable. If your Windows system does not have this environment variable, skip this step.

Note: This is a troubleshooting step for this issue only. Be sure to set this path back to its original name if this does not resolve the ntdll.dll issue.
    6. Disable Data Execution Prevention for Explorer.exe. As in the previous step, this is for troubleshooting the ntdll.dll issue only. If this doesn't resolve the problem, return the Data Execution Prevention settings to their previous settings.
    7. Update drivers for any hardware in your computer where updated drivers are available. Outdated drivers sometimes cause ntdll.dll errors.
    8. Test your memory for damage. If you're receiving ntdll.dll messages, one possible cause could be a bad memory module in your system. Testing your memory will either identify a problem or clear your RAM of any responsibility.
    If my post was helpful, Please throw me a Kudos.
    If my post fixed your issue, please mark it as the solution to help the next person find a solution quickly.
    Bart Lanzillotti
  • SHIRISH86
    SHIRISH86 Posts: 1

Hi Team I am facing Key Server issue while opening the teamviewer.. please help

• ecejhe
    ecejhe Posts: 1

I also encounter this! hope we have response from teamviewer support

• Kelte
    Kelte Posts: 1

It occurs to me when the time / date was wrong on my PC. Took me some time to figure out. 

• I have tried everything - nothing works. So I am downgrading to 12. This means that connecting to other computers will be a problem because TV will NOT let me connect to later versions. That "upgrade or NO connect" policy is an inhibitor.
  • Xavier75
    Xavier75 Posts: 2

I had the same problem and it took me hours to find. In my case, my AVG anti-virus was not up-to-date and suddenly considered TeamViewer as a potential thread and blocked it. I updated my anti-virus and it worked again. You also have the option to ask your anti-virus to not check your TeamViewer directory anymore. Hope this can help someone.