Changing TeamViewer 13 VPN on Windows 10 to a private network

dzeleznik
dzeleznik Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited May 2023 in General questions

I'm using Teamviewer 13.2.26558 on 3 personal computers running Windows 10 build 1803. Screen and file sharing work perfectly, the vpn feature not so much. The problem is that the TeamViewer VPN connection always shows as an unidentified public network in the Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center. My PCs are configure so that sharing is only enabled for private networks and in current versions of Win10 there is no gui to change an unidentified network from public to private or visa versa. With the VPN connection categorized as public, I am unable to ping between the PCs and cannot explore files. Per suggestions in other threads, I have disabled IPv6 in the VPN adapter settings and uninstalled/reinstalled TeamViewer from scratch, with no joy.

Currently the only workaround I have is quite cumbersome:

1. I launch a screen sharing connection between the PCs
  2. I create a VPN connection between the PCs using the Extras menu
  3. On each PC, I launch PowerShell as an admin and then execute:
    • Get-NetConnectionProfile which lists my connection profiles and I get the index number of the VPN connection
    • Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex <idx> -NetworkCategory Private where <idx> is the number of the VPN profile

After this, the VPN connection switches to private on both sides and I can ping and explore the other side. However, again because Win10 does not handle unidentified networks well, these setting changes are transient and I have to perform the entire scenario again upon my next connect.

Is there an easier way for me to have my VPN connections classified as private and/or have the connection show up as an identified network so that I can permanently change its settings via Win10 control panel? Otherwise, I consider this a major failure in the VPN implementation.