Team Viewer hangs at "Initializing display parameters" (Version 13.0.6447)

Options
BrianHathaway
BrianHathaway Posts: 1
edited May 2023 in General questions

I cannot connect to any device or partner. The screen says "Connecting to (Name)..." and "Initializing display parameters" and freezes. It never shows me the remote screen. On the remote device, a Windows PC, the screen shows the Team Viewer Session List and shows that I am connected, but I cannot see the remote screen via Team Viewer.

Comments

• Th4nkS
    Th4nkS Posts: 1
    Options

@BrianHathaway wrote:

I cannot connect to any device or partner. The screen says "Connecting to (Name)..." and "Initializing display parameters" and freezes. It never shows me the remote screen. On the remote device, a Windows PC, the screen shows the Team Viewer Session List and shows that I am connected, but I cannot see the remote screen via Team Viewer.

• FrankHeimes
    FrankHeimes Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options

I had a very similar problem. Frequently, a few seconds after opening a teamviewer session, the session froze and I could do nothing but disconnect. All subsequent connection attempts failed with the problem you described (hangs at initializing display parameters) until I killed and restarted the TeamViewer process locally.

In my case, the cause turned out to be conflicting accesses of Teamviewer and another process (BGInfo from SysInternals) to the desktop upon login. I had BGInfo update a dynamic wallpaper each time I logged in. That apparently caused Teamviewer to hang while attempting to modify the screen settings as well (to match that of the remote PC).

My initial fix was to disable the BGInfo process. That fixed the problem.

However, I wanted to keep using BGInfo. So I created a scheduled task, that runs BGInfo and triggers "On workstation unlock" but has "Delay task for:" set to "1 minute". This way, BGInfo is started long after TeamViewer has everything set up and running.