Announcements

Would you like to co-innovate with us? If so, we’d like to invite you to become product development partners with us. Read more about it in our announcement Launch of the TeamViewer User Focus Program

Posted by sswksph
Photon

Personal and Corporate account interaction

I have used a personal Teamviewer account for years, and I know have a corporate account at my job.

I have the corporate account logged into on my work laptop, and my personal account at my desktop.

I receive a pop-up msg now that "corporate use" has been detected, whenever I log in from my desktop to my work laptop.

What is the recommended way to accomplish this? I do not want to use the corporate account on my personal desktop, but I would really like to be able to remote in to my work laptop reliably.

5 Replies
Posted by mbaria
Digon

Re: Personal and Corporate account interaction

I think I have a similar issue.  I use my corporate account on my work computers and my personal account on my home computers.  Occasionally, I need to connect to work from home but cannot - my home workstation's TeamViewer throws a message about not having a valid corporate license.  From what I can tell, this ONLY happens if I SIGN-OUT of my work computer. 

Plan A - If I just LOCK the work computer with TeamViewer logged-in and running, I can connect with my personal account from my home computer (my personal account is WhiteListed on my work computer). 

Plan B - If I forget to LOCK and accidentally SIGN-OUT, I use TeamViewer on my work cell (Android), login to the mobile app with my corporate account, and then connect to my work computer, login to the workstation and get TeamViewer running under my corpoprate account.  Then disconnect the mobile session and use my personal account on my home computer.  I really don't like having to do this but I haven't found any other fix.

Plan C - **DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK** ... The first time this happened I was using TeamViewer 11.  I tried using my corporate account on my home workstation and while this allowed me to access my work computers,  it immediately caused problems with my accounts/workstations licenses.  I don't recall specifics but subsequently, TeamViewer no longer worked on one of my accounts/workstations and constantly gave a licensing error.  I had to have TeamViewer support resolve this and was told NOT to do that anymore as mixed-use like this was NOT supported.  The support person went as far as to recommend I consider bringing home one of my corporate devices dedicated for corporate TeamViewer to allow me to remotely connect to work.  When v12 was released, I was trying to decide whether to upgrade as this issue was almost a show-stopper for me.  I talked to a sales rep and was told that my scenario should have worked, but I haven't wanted to risk trying again.

If you or anyone has a better solution, please share ... the cell phone workaround (Plan B) works ok, particularly since I have to have my cell phone nearby anyway so I can access my authenticator app (two-factor authentication), but the extra step of logging in via mobile just doesn't seem necessary.

Posted by Senior Moderator Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Hi sswksph,

Thanks for posting,

I am sorry, but the free version of TeamViewer cannot be used on a device that is used for commercial purposes. Connecting to your work laptop is acommercial purpose. So you can use your corporate account to connect reliably to your work computer (As this is commercial use and must be licenced), But this will still stop you from using the free version on your home laptop at some point.

So although I understand that some of your usage is commercial and some is personal, The only way for us to create a system that splits commercial and personal use on one device would be to monitor the content of your connections which we will not do as it is a violation of privacy.

I am sorry, and I know that is a hassle, but if we made it based on accounts, people who were cheating the system would just switch to a new free account when they expired.

I am sorry I could not offer a solution for this, but this is the limitation of the free version.

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
Highlighted
Posted by smirnovovich
Photon

Why can't you use some kind of connection between the two like for example laspass does...

Just create a corporate account with license and then link the personal account. Explained here:

https://enterprise.lastpass.com/nl/getting-started/link-personal-account/

Posted by ns1234
Electron

Hello - I have learned I now have a similar issue. I have been using my free personal account without issues for years. My girlfriend then started working remotely for her employer and they set her up with a TeamViewer account using their commercial license. TeamViewer was already installed on my home PC for my free personal use, and so my girlfriend logged into her provided commercial account through the same TeamViewer installation on the home PC. We were not aware of these limitations, and now it appears I cannot use my free personal account as it now thinks this is an expired commercial license. From researching/troubleshooting, it looks like the only way to get around this would be to change my system MAC address, which indicates the device MAC address is likely used to associate specific devices/accounts to either a free or commercial license. Because my home PC MAC address has now been associated with a commercial account provided by my girlfirend's employer, my personal account is now also flagged as a commercial account. I would like to ask if TeamViewer support could assist with fixing this on my personal account, so that I can cleanly re-install the TeamViewer software and continue using my free personal account as I had for years. Then, now that we know of this compatiblitiy conflict, we will be sure to not use a commercial account on the home PC moving forward.

Posted by mbaria
Digon

@ns1234 wrote:

Hello - I have learned I now have a similar issue. I have been using my free personal account without issues for years. My girlfriend then started working remotely for her employer and they set her up with a TeamViewer account using their commercial license. TeamViewer was already installed on my home PC for my free personal use, and so my girlfriend logged into her provided commercial account through the same TeamViewer installation on the home PC. We were not aware of these limitations, and now it appears I cannot use my free personal account as it now thinks this is an expired commercial license. From researching/troubleshooting, it looks like the only way to get around this would be to change my system MAC address, which indicates the device MAC address is likely used to associate specific devices/accounts to either a free or commercial license. Because my home PC MAC address has now been associated with a commercial account provided by my girlfirend's employer, my personal account is now also flagged as a commercial account. I would like to ask if TeamViewer support could assist with fixing this on my personal account, so that I can cleanly re-install the TeamViewer software and continue using my free personal account as I had for years. Then, now that we know of this compatiblitiy conflict, we will be sure to not use a commercial account on the home PC moving forward.

It sure sounds like the same issue.  I hadn't heard about the MAC address work-around but it doesn't sound like one I'd want to deal with, even if it worked.  

BTW - This thread was from 2017 and there have been a few versions of TV since (now on v14) and I believe some licensing changes as well.  I hadn't heard if anything had changed regarding mixed-use but I've since been using a dedicated work computer to TV to work.  It's inconvenient but it's probably the better solution anyway (keeping work separate from personal is always a good idea).

... HOWEVER ...

I think the TV version and type of license are a factor.  I hadn't tried this in a few years but our corporate license was moved to a subscritpion a few years ago which I believe ties our corporate license to the TV login, not the device/software ... which in theory, could make the license more portable.   As a test, I just tried logging-out of my corporate TV workstation and logging-in to TV using my free personal account and it worked fine.  I was then able to switch back to my corporate license without a problem.  I'm running TV13.2.26558.