Using Older Macs on Both Ends

Options

Background:

I have never used TeamViewer.

We are a Mac-almost-exclusively household using Mac laptops ranging from old to new: some from 2020, some from 2015, and some from 2011. The 2020 and 2015 laptops are running the latest Mac OS. The 2011and 2009 machines are running the most recent versions they can.

I want to be able to help my mother-in-law, who is almost 100 years old, by being able to connect to and operate her computer, which is a 2009 Mac desktop. So, using the jargon I'm familiar with from my old pcAnywhere days, I want my mother-in-law to be the Host and I will be the Remote. We are not averse to buying my mother-in-law a new computer if that's needed to make all this work.

Questions:

1. Am I in the right place? Will TeamViewer do what I need? My understanding is that, for this kind of use, it's free.
  2. What do I need to download, on the 2009 "Host", and on the 2011, 2015, and 2020 "Remote" computers, to make all this happen.
  3. What question have I not asked but need to, and what's the answer?

Thanks very much in advance for your replies.

Answers

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,988 Community Manager 🌍
    Options

Hello @SteveFreides,

Using the free version of TeamViewer is only possible with the latest TeamViewer version on both computers.

This means, all computers (local and remote) have to be compatible with TeamViewer 15.x:

This means, all computers need to have at least macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) or higher to run the free version of TeamViewer.

Community Manager