TeamViewer Host not updating at all

We are having some trouble getting TeamViewer's update mechanisms to work. Recently we added a policy to a few of our TV Host clients, telling them to automatically check for new versions every 7 days, and automatically install any that they find. However, nothing is actually updating. Also, if we run the "check for updates" command manually (with an admin account) on the test client, nothing happens at all.

I don't see any signs of our Sophos antivirus blocking anything. The perimeter firewall reports nothing regarding blocking access to any downloads. Windows Firewall isn't complaining, either. I don't see anything in the TeamViewer logs that pertains to update activity, either.

The test clients are on TeamViewer Host version 15.9.4.0. I am completely stuck as to what is going wrong...

Best Answer

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,973 Community Manager 🌍
    Answer ✓

Hello @jeffrsonk,

If you have deployed TeamViewer via .msi, the update policy won't work.

In this scenario, TeamViewer needs to be updated via a third party software management tool.

If you have not deployed TeamViewer via .msi, I recommend opening a support ticket so our engineers can have a closer look at the issue.

Community Manager

Answers

• JeanK
    Answer ✓

Hello @jeffrsonk,

If you have deployed TeamViewer via .msi, the update policy won't work.

In this scenario, TeamViewer needs to be updated via a third party software management tool.

If you have not deployed TeamViewer via .msi, I recommend opening a support ticket so our engineers can have a closer look at the issue.

Community Manager

• jeffrsonk
    jeffrsonk Posts: 2 ✭✭

That did prove to be the case! Thank you.

• Hello,

What would be the best options to update more than 2000 host clients remotly then ?

• JeanK

Hi @adecombe_HENNER,

Since v15.21.4, it is possible to update all your Hosts via the TeamViewer update policy via the Check for new version setting.

You can also decide the frequency of how often the system checks for updates (daily, weekly, monthly, never).

If you select Daily, all your Hosts will be updated 24 hours after you have assigned the policy to your devices.

Let me know if you have any further questions! I'll be happy to assist.

/JeanK

@jeffrsonk FYI 🙂

Community Manager