How do I get 64-bit Teamviewer on a Mac running Mojave?

I have a macbook on Mojave MacOS. It had an older version of Teamviewer installed. I uninstalled that through the Teamviewer app and checked the "remove all settings data." When I download either version of Teamviewer, plain Teamviewer or Teamviewer Host, whether it's on that macbook or from another macbook running Big Sur, it still appears to be 32-bit Teamviewer on the Mojave macbook. I want to have 64-bit Teamviewer on the Mojave macbook before I upgrade it to Big Sur.

I'm using the About this Mac, System Report, Software, Legacy Software. Teamviewer is still listed on there. From what I understand those are 32-bit apps and will cause problems if the machine is upgraded to Big Sur.

I found this page, saying Macs only have 64-bit Teamviewer. So maybe it's just the About this Mac page being off? Or maybe Teamviewer doesn't completely uninstall and some 32-bit settings are still there?

Comments

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Can you send us a screenshot of the file where it says 32 bit? And from where are you downloading the TeamViewer?

Former Community Manager

• tvquestions2021
    tvquestions2021 Posts: 14 ✭✭

It's Mojave MacOS. At some point I want to upgrade that to Big Sur, but not before removing all 32-bit apps. This machine only has Teamviewer being 32-bit.

I'm going to have to check but I believe even uninstalling, including "remove all settings checked," still leaves this legacy software Teamviewer listing, even with a restart. I'm thinking it might be old cached info, and potentially I am getting 64-bit Teamviewer installed.

This machine had an upgrade done from Teamviewer version 10 to the latest, done while viewing the machine over Teamviewer. The v10 Teamviewer would be Teamviewer Host, straight off teamviewer.com years ago. The upgrade was done while viewing with Teamviewer with the Action, Remote Upgrade button. It looked like it worked. More recently I checked for legacy software and noticed Teamviewer was still listed.

Other things I've tried.... This with an uninstall of Teamviewer, with "remove all settings" checked.

I tried using a custom skinned Teamviewer dmg downloaded with my organization's URL. I don't believe that worked in the past, and that's why I always just used a plain Teamviewer host dmg installer.

I tried Teamviewer Host off teamviewer.

I tired the full Teamviewer install.

Same result each time. The mac says Teamviewer is a 32-bit app, legacy.

I haven't tried upgrading a mac like this to Big Sur or Catalina, if the hardware won't take Big Sur.

I think I've tried three Macs. All similar Mojave MacOS, Teamviewer version 10 set ups.

I have more Macs though. I was going to make sure Teamviewer was 64-bit and not on the legacy list and then eventually start upgrading them to Big Sur. There is other I'm waiting on that needs to be Big Sur compatible before really diving into Big Sur upgrades.

Here's a screenshot of one of the macs. I removed Team ID and signing has in case that's identifying. The 4/1 date (no joke there) was probably testing if doing an upgrade over Teamviewer worked.

I should also check -- Just hitting space on the Teamviewer listing in Applications to make sure it really is version 15. I don't see any reason to think it's not though. The install with the latest dmg off teamviewer goes normally in each case.

And I checked. Same Mac as the screenshot below. TeamViewer Host Version 15.16.8.

And this Mac is an Intel i5, so that's 64-bit. I don't believe MacOS has been 32-bit for a long time. It's also using 8GB of RAM, so it's a 32-bit OS limiting it to 3.5GB of RAM. So the hardware is 64-bit. The OS is 64-bit. And it's Teamviewer version 15. So what's keeping this 32-bit legacy Teamviewer information still listed?

I'm thinking this is some left over information somehow, and I really do have the latest 64-bit Teamviewer installed. In that case, I still want to get rid of this listing in case it screws up a Big Sur upgrade.

• tvquestions2021
    tvquestions2021 Posts: 14 ✭✭

No real issue apparently. It's some residual info still there, more of an Apple issue. I tried a fresh install of Mojave, installed the older version of Teamviewer we use which is 32 bit. That was listed in About this Mac, legacy software. Upgraded to the latest Teamviwer version. Teamviewer still worked fine. Then I upgraded to Big Sur. Teamviewer was still fine after that. Nothing was listed in the legacy software list. Whatever it is pre-Big Sur upgrade wasn't good information and didn't affect anything.