Should I be concerned?

GBNick
GBNick Posts: 1
edited July 2021 in Mobile

Currently on an iPhone 11 running iOS 14.4.2

Previous phone when this apparently started was an iPhone 7 Plus, kept updated until I upgraded to the 11. Both came new from my provider.

I was poking around my phone today and decided to look through my Purchase History. I was pretty shocked to find TeamViewer Remote Control in there, dated July 23 of 2018.

I’m 100% confident I have never installed TeamViewer on any mobile device. I decided to download it from the app store to check for any saved data.

This point is when I started to worry, because the app store listing revealed it was already installed on my phone and completely hidden. There were no clues I could find beyond the log file, which I had to take screenshots of because the buttons in the top right weren’t functioning. I did the same with another log file after deleting and reinstalling the app, and I can upload those if it’ll help.

I’m obviously worried that someone, with physical access, was able to install and configure TeamViewer on my phone(s) in a way that’s allowed them to remotely view my screen and transfer files anytime they wanted.

Hopefully someone can help me get to the bottom of this. Thanks-

[logs removed per Community Guidelines]

Answers

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi @GBNick and thanks for reaching out.

No need to be worried!

The TeamViewer Remote Control App can only make outgoing connections. For incoming connections, the QuickSupport app is needed. But also with the QuickSupport, there is no need to worry:

• There is no way to access an iOS device unattended. You always need to confirm the access
    • Remote Controlling an iOS device is not possible (only screensharing)

So - yes: If someone has physical access to your iPhone and knows how to download and install an app on it, it is possible that this person installed TeamViewer, but all good: This app does not enable incoming connections.

If you have no need for remote controlling other devices, you can simply uninstall the app.

Thanks and I hope I could help you,

Esther

Former Community Manager