Serious problem found, and no contact for support to fix it.

Options
usalabs
usalabs Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited November 2021 in General questions

OK, I found a serious problem with TV, and unless I buy the product, I don't get to contact support, what a load of **bleep**, and there is no actual support of the product for free users except this forum , anyway, this is what I found, if TV is used as a master to remote to a slave machine, it is not needed to run when windows starts, but it does, regardless of settings, if I uncheck the option to 'start with windows' the TV service is still there and running, even after a total shut down and restart of the PC, or even if I completely remove it using Revo Uninstaller, then reboot the computer, and re-install TV with the option as a standalone install, the service still gets installed and run, the only way to stop TV from running in the background, is to first make sure the 'Start with windows' is definitely unchecked, this can be checked by closing TV, then re-open TV and look at that setting, then to remove the service use an elevated command prompt and type:-

sc delete teamviewer

This is the only way to stop TV from running as a service. As I mentioned earlier unless you want to control the master machine remotely there's no need for TV to be running at all, slave machine? yes but not the machine that's going to remote access the other machines.

Answers

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,051 Former Community Manager
    Options

Hi @usalabs

Thanks for reaching out to us!

This is to let you know we are looking into this.

However, can you meanwhile check whether the Close to tray menu under Extras --> Options --> Advanced is checked or unchecked on your device? Thanks!

We keep you posted,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• usalabs
    usalabs Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Options

I did that that too, and 'Close to tray' is not checked, I even checked the task manager to see it it was running as a task, and nope, it was only running as a service, TV only ran as a task when I double clicked the desktop icon, then it removed itself from the task manager as a process when it closed, and nothing was showing in the system tray, but when I opened the service manager to check something else, that's when I saw TV was running as a service.

Currently, when I start TV, it no longer runs as a service, after I used 'sc delete teamviewer' with both options 'Start with windows' and 'Close to tray' unchecked, but, when it recently updated to the new version, it reinstalled itself as a service again, and the only way to remove it was to use the sc command.

I did check for viruses and malware, using 3 scanners, and all scanners showed the system as clean, I even did a pre-boot virus scan and it came back clean.

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,051 Former Community Manager
    Options

Thanks for getting back to me @usalabs

Meanwhile, I had the chance to talk with one of our engineers to check whether something odd is happening. Luckily it is not!

That the service is running on the TeamViewer full version is expected behavior. However, they said that if you prefer not to have it running as a service you can use the TeamViewer Portable (or on the remote side a QuickSupport module).

You can download the Portable from our homepage: https://www.teamviewer.com/download/windows/

You need to scroll a bit to find it - It is right next to the MSI Package:

Does that help you?

Let me know if you have any further questions! I am doing my best to help 💯

Esther

Former Community Manager