Do off-screen windows that update a lot, affect the bandwidth much?

Options
ycomp
ycomp Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited March 2022 in General questions

Hello, I have noticed that it is possible to assign a custom resolution for Teamviewer by simply typing it in instead of selecting from the dropdown list of resolutions. Currently I use 1600x1200 but I was thinking maybe making it longer like 1600x1800 or 2000 and keeping the TeamViewer Client window the same size and just scroll down when I need to.

My question is, if part of the screen is off-screen (or off-window) on the viewing device (you have to scroll to see it), then will that area simply be not transmitted? I assume that should be the case.

The reason I want to know, is that I have a low bandwidth connection right now due to unfortunate circumstance - everyone sits and home and shares videos and checks the news - so I was wondering if making the VPS screen much longer vertically (but much of it off screen) would not affect the overall bandwidth much, even though that part of the screen would have windows in it that are actively updating with information, since those windows are effectively "off-screen"?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,990 Community Manager 🌍
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @ycomp,

I asked the engineers and they told me that during a connection, it will consume as much bandwidth in both cases.

In other words, it doesn't matter if the window is on- or off-screen.

I hope this could help. 🍀

All the best,

/JeanK

Community Manager

Answers

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,990 Community Manager 🌍
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @ycomp,

I asked the engineers and they told me that during a connection, it will consume as much bandwidth in both cases.

In other words, it doesn't matter if the window is on- or off-screen.

I hope this could help. 🍀

All the best,

/JeanK

Community Manager