teamviewer.com link icon
or
Ask The Community

Welcome to the Blog Banner

TeamViewer Support on Wayland - Experimental State

JeanK
JeanK Posts: 5,643 Community Manager 🌍
edited April 27 in Community Blog

In the past couple of months, we have noticed an emerging need for support on Wayland...

This is why we would like to give you an update about it.

Introduction

It's a fact: Wayland gets more and more prominent as a display server. Ubuntu is releasing the new 22.04 version with Wayland again as the default display server.

Now it's time for TeamViewer to support also incoming connections when using Wayland in the first experimental state!

📌Note: Before getting started, make sure you are using the latest TeamViewer version. You can update your TeamViewer client by following the instructions of the article below:

📄 Update TeamViewer on Linux via repository

Wayland support

To be sure you are using a client supporting Wayland you should see a message like the following in the Remote Control view.

If you can see this message, you are signed in on Wayland and your client is ready to support the incoming sessions with Wayland.

Experimental state

Wayland support is currently available in a first version. The overall feature package is still limited, and 100% stability cannot be guaranteed. Please note that Wayland support is also still under heavy development in Linux distributions. Still, we encourage you to try it out and give us feedback for further improvements and a final release.

The following functionality is already provided:

• Permission request for screen sharing
  • Screen sharing of the main monitor
  • Mouse and keyboard input

What is not ready yet:

• Connection to login screen
  • Session to unattended devices
  • Change monitor resolution
  • Clipboard synchronization
  • Black screen

Wayland's security concept

Give permission to share your screen / inject input events

Before your screen can be shared and input events like keyboard and mouse input can be transmitted to your computer you need to give permission due to Wayland's security concept. Without this acknowledgement your screen will never get shared with any other person nor can they control your computer.

See when your screen is shared

Due to Wayland's security concept, it's now always visible if your screen is currently shared, in addition to the visual indications TeamViewer is already providing.

Older clients

If you see this message on the startup [...]

[...] it means you are using an old client that does not yet support Wayland.

Please update your client to the latest version (at least 15.29.x) or sign in with Xorg on Linux startup.

(Example from Ubuntu sign in window)

See also some more discussions about it in the following thread: 📑State of Wayland TeamViewer

Trouble Shooting / Known Issues

KDE/Plasma

On KDE/Plasma with Wayland, it might be necessary to install the xdg-desktop-portal-kde package first. Rebooting after installation is advised.

Input stops working / Crashes on xdg-desktop-portal

On some systems, remote control of the mouse and keyboard might stop working and the TeamViewer log file will show many lines similar to

2022/04/20 16:51:39.890 3526 140237246535232 DW2!! RemoteDesktopPortal: call NotifyPointerMotionAbsolute failed: DBus: 'org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied' (Invalid session) when calling 'org.freedesktop.portal.RemoteDesktop.NotifyPointerMotionAbsolute' on '/org/freedesktop/portal/desktop', Errorcode=11

This is caused by a problem in xdg-desktop-portal (for further details please see this bug report).

The issue was fixed with xdg-desktop-portal versions 1.12.4 and 1.14.3, but your distribution might still use an older version.

If you encounter this problem, you can check which version of xdg-desktop-portal your system uses by executing

/usr/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal --version

General Wayland issues

Depending on the environment (Gnome/Plasma, distribution, hardware) there might be problems that are not related to TeamViewer as the Wayland support, in general, is not yet too stable.

If you have Firefox installed, you can check if the Wayland support is working in general by selecting "Screen capture".

We are counting on you

We would be happy to get your first impressions and feedback such as:

1) What is already working

2) Which issues you are facing

3) Which functionalities you are missing the most

⚠ Important note: As we are still in an experimental state, we still recommend using Xorg in production.

We thank you in advance for contributing to the development and hope that you'll already have a great user experience using TeamViewer on Wayland.

Community Manager

---

Did my response answer your question? Help out others and select it as the Accepted Answer

Tagged:

Comments

• PaddyLandau
    PaddyLandau Posts: 13 ✭✭

Which functionalities you are missing the most

Thank you for attending to Wayland. For me, the most valuable missing function is, "Show remote cursor".

• kuooki
    kuooki Posts: 1 Newbie

TeamViewer on Ubuntu 22.04 Wayland with Nvidia drivers looks like this for me at least.

In gui.log, there's always this following line that doesn't appear with xorg-session:

QSGContext::initialize: depth buffer support missing, expect rendering errors.

This is not new a new behaviour to this beta version. But all versions that i've tried work flawlessly on Xorg.

• illialinux
    illialinux Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited April 24

Thank you for starting to add support for Wayland!

I connected to Ubuntu 22.04 on Wayland and noticed two issues:

• clicking "Ctrl + Alt + T" to open a terminal does not work ("Send key combinations" is checked.)
    • Caps Lock in a terminal window does not work; as well as "Ctrl + C", "Ctrl + U" and similar terminal shortcuts.
  • illialinux

Also, a signing key of TeamViewer's package is stored in a deprecated way leading to some warnings on Ubuntu 22.04. A similar issue and a solution are described here https://askubuntu.com/questions/1403556/key-is-stored-in-legacy-trusted-gpg-keyring-after-ubuntu-22-04-update.

• Kerstin_PO
    Kerstin_PO Posts: 74 Staff member 🤠

Hi @PaddyLandau , @kuooki , @illialinux ,

thanks a lot for your valuable feedback so far.

• I will upvote the remote cursor topic internally - it's already on the roadmap
    • We will have a look into the behavior with Nvidia drivers.
    • We will have a closer look into the Caps Lock issues and key combinations. @illialinux could you maybe provide me the operating system you are using on the client/supporter side?
    • We will have a look into the warning / storing the signing key.

Best

Kerstin

Product Owner TeamViewer Core
  • illialinux

@Kerstin_PO it was Ubuntu 20.04 (X.Org)

• JorgeRF
    JorgeRF Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited April 28

Thank you for Wayland support!

I noticed the following and I don't know if it's intended behavior. Let's say I want to connect remotely to my PC to do something quick. I'll find that to be impossible as I have to physically give permission to share. It kind of defeats the purpose of remote control.

Would it be possible to add a setting to the permission window to remember my choice? Like OBS does:

Another issue is that I can only connect with the preview version, not the stable 15.29.4. This happens when connecting from an Android phone and I couldn't replicate it when connecting from my laptop to my PC. Pardon my english if you can!

PS: edited to add more info.

Jorge

• Kerstin_PO

Hi @Jorge,

thanks a lot for your feedback and the proposal. We will check, if we can include it in a next version - makes definitely sense.

What's the issue with the 15.29.4 version? Could you maybe share more details what is working / what is not working? Is there some error message?

Best,

Kerstin

• JorgeRF
    JorgeRF Posts: 2 Newbie

The issue with 15.29.4 only happens when connecting from an Android phone so it might be the mobile version. It says it's connected but nothing happens. When I tried to connect with my laptop it worked with no issues.

• Kerstin_PO

Thanks a lot, @JorgeRF! This information helps a lot to look into it. We will have a look.

Best, Kerstin