You are not alone (Rule #5 Use software to help you)

Esther
Esther Posts: 4,051 Staff member 🤠
edited April 2023 in Blog

Now that we reached our fifth tip in this series let´s quickly recap before looking at the last tip.  

We started by recognising that scams are real and that they can happen to anyone at any time. Next, we focused on staying alert all the time to not fall naively into the scammers´ trap. And if we get contacted by them, we don´t panic but stay calm and thoughtful and let no one rush us into a decision we have not thought through thoroughly. Then, we initiated the pattern to question everything, especially when something sounds too good to be true.  

At this stage, kudos to you! You are now online-security-aware and deserve a badge for it 🥇  

If you ever find yourself in a situation where you are being rushed to make a decision, stop for a moment before allowing anybody access to your device or personal information. Challenge, could this be fake? It’s ok to reject, refuse or ignore requests. Only criminals will try to rush or panic you. Protect, contact your bank immediately on a different device that the scammer has contacted you on. If you think you have been the victim of a scam, report it to your local police force. 

You are not alone!

Now it is time for the last tip. This one provides you with some help to spot a scam attempt and secure yourself, your devices and your data more easily.  

You do not have to do the work all on your own! There is proper software available to help you protect yourself, such as Anti-Virus software, spam detection in your email account or PopUp Blocker for your browser. This is, of course, not a complete list but can act as an initial list for such helper tools.  

When installing the tools on your devices, always keep the software up-to-date and install security patches as soon as they are available. It is immensely important. 

And: Download software directly from the company website – that way, you make sure to get the correct version and not a pirated copy.  

Running the latest version of an operating system and software is a significant pillar of keeping yourself secure. And never underestimate the benefits of having robust antivirus software: It can assist you in recognising hacking attempts.  

You are in the Driver´s Seat

You must know that there is no software out there that can protect you 100% from Social Engineering. It is you! Only you can protect yourself by being aware of Social Engineering. Software can only support you - but you´re in the driver's seat.  

In this sense – stay safe and enjoy your time online! And before I forget it let me say it one last time: Only install software or grant remote access to your computer if you’re asked by someone you know and trust, such as a friend or family member, and never as a result of an unsolicited call, browser pop up, or text message  

💬 Please allow me to finish this Online Security Blog Series with my personal best wishes that you never need to deal with a scammer at all and that you never get hit by lightning.  

And against all odds, I hope you win the lottery someday and that all I noted down in these blog posts will help you and your loved ones to stay ahead of any scammer that might come your way.

All the best and stay safe,

Esther

*Read all articles:

1. The stranger calling (Rule #1 Recognise it´s real)
  2. It is not easy to spot them – but it is possible (Rule #2 Stay alert)
  3. Don´t let anyone rush you (Rule #3 Stay calm)
  4. Too good to be true? (Rule #4 Question everything)
  5. This is the fifth article ✅ (Scroll up to re-read)

Former Community Manager

Tagged:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.