Team Viewer is not asking for password

Leo_Norw
Leo_Norw Posts: 5
edited April 2022 in General questions

I have a problem google can't help me with, maybe somebody here can?

I'm trying to help my father and got him to install Team Viewer but when I'm trying to control his computer my Team Viewer is not asking me for his password. If my father's Team Viewer is not open I get the normal error message, so they are communicating, but as I said, I'm not being asked to enter the password, so they won't connect. When accessing other computers Team Viewer works perfectly

My father's laptop has Windows Pro Lite if that makes any difference. Does anybody have a clue here?

Answers

• JoshP
    JoshP Posts: 905 Senior Moderator

Hello @Leo_Norw

Thank you for your post, and welcome to the TeamViewer community!

Could you please let us know the message that appears when you attempt to connect and no password prompt appears?

Thanks in advance!

Josh P.

Senior Community Moderator

---

• Leo_Norw

Just as on the picture, nothing else.

• JoshP

Hello @Leo_Norw

Could you please let us know what the error in the image says?

As it turns out, I am unable to see the message in the bottom left corner clear enough to use Google Translate 😅

Thanks in advance!

Josh P.

---

• Leo_Norw

There is no error message. When Team Viewer is running on the remote computer my Team VIewer only looks like on the picture. If Team Viewer is not running on the remote computer I get a notofication that it's not running.

• JoshP
    edited April 2022

As there is a message in the bottom left corner, could you please let us know what it says? Does it say "Connecting" or is it stating you are awaiting the remote user's input?

This will help us better understand what is occurring when you try to connect to the remote machine, as there is not any other information to be gathered from the screenshot.

Please also try connecting to a different device to see if the issue persists, so we may know if it is your device or the remote device causing the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Josh P.

---

• Leo_Norw

It says "Connecting".

• JoshP

Hello @Leo_Norw

Thanks so much!

Since you are able to receive a message when the device is known to be offline stating that the device is, in fact, offline, we can safely assume that your device has no issues connecting to the TeamViewer servers (If you are also able to make a test connection to a different device, this can confirm that as well).

When the device is online, however, it seems that it could be sending mixed messages, both appearing accessible and inaccessible at the same time. Usually, this is due to some kind of conflict in the connection between the affected device and the TeamViewer servers.

If it has not already been attempted, we would recommend an uninstall/reinstall of TeamViewer on the remote device. It's always best to start with the easiest solutions!

Re-installations aside, the next thing to take a look at would be the network/ISP - as seen in this older thread, some ISPs actively block access to services like TeamViewer, and require additional steps in order to allow such connections. One way to test this would be to try connecting to the same device on another network, or even download the QuickSupport app to their mobile device and attempt a connection both on the same network as the device and on cellular only.

If your message never gets past "Connecting..." more than likely nothing appears on their screen. Can you please confirm, however, their device says "Ready to connect" in roughly the same location as your message before you are attempting to connect?

I hope this helps get us started on the path towards a solution, and thanks in advance for any additional clarifications!

Josh P.

---

• Leo_Norw
    edited August 2022

I never was able to connect to that computer. I was able to take a quick look at it and found that is have some sort of Windows 11 LITE - some kind of stripped down version, so I guess the part TeamViewer is using was missing. It also couldn't connect to a network printer, another indicator pointing at missing network functions.