I am having a file transfer issue.

I have an usb flash drive that I have constantly sent files from. I am now all of a sudden receiving the message above. It only happens when I try to send from the flash drive. I can send from my PC's hard drive no problem. Can anyone help?

Best Answer

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 7,029 Community Manager 🌍
    Answer βœ“

@trishsdn I've some news for you. πŸ™‚

This is a know issue in the current version. Our dev team has fixed the problem and will deploy the fix in the next update.

So basically, you'll have to wait for the next release, update your TeamViewer clients to the latest version, and you should be able to transfer the files from your flash drive without any issues.

Have a great day!

/JeanK

Community Manager

Β«1

Answers

• pellis777
    pellis777 Posts: 5
    edited July 2022

When trying to transfer files from a memory stick or SD card on the remote computer (using latest or older versions of T.V., on WIN 11 and Win7 (same version on each machine at any time), both 64-bit) I get:

Error "No description could be retrieved"

LOG:

18:20:34β€¬β€Ž: The connection has been established successfully.

β€ͺ18:20:54β€¬β€Ž: The download was denied on the remote computer.

But it works if I first transfer the files manually to an internal drive, or to an external HDD.

The manual for Remote Control doesn't cover this, and there's no manual for File Transfer that I can find.

It's a bit inconvenient if I have to move files an extra time just to transfer them - I might just as well use the memory stick to transfer the files directly... ; - <

Does anyone know a way to get around this, please?

• Whitt
    Whitt Posts: 1
    edited July 2022

I just installed Team Viewer on a new Windows 11 machine. I am running into an issue where although I can transfer files from the new Win11 machine., I cannot transfer files from my laptop to it. I had Team Viewer on my laptop for use on another account and everything works fine (Win7, WIn10 and Win11 machines). When I try to transfer files over to the new Win11 machine, it quickly gives me an "Operation Aborted" error message with no details. Seems like that remote machine is blocking it immediately. Not sure what I need to do to get this to work.

• Selfish1
    Selfish1 Posts: 1

Hi All

I hope someone will be able to assist. In Windows 7 if I did a file transfer via Teamviewer and the connections was disconnected. I was able to re-connect and the file transfer would just carry on where it left off.

Since we upgraded to windows 10 this feature is not working. If I transfer a file and get disconnected, I have to restart the file transfer from the beginning again once the connection is re-connected. This is a big problem as we use TV for large file transfers all the time but if I have to restart the transfer every time I loose a connecting it takes for ever to do a transfer.

If anyone has found a work around it would really be appreciated.

• INFOTRADE
    INFOTRADE Posts: 5

Hello,

I keep geting this message in file transfer, and i can get file....

no description could be retrieved

I never see this message before, I'm using teamview for some 8 years and it's a big problem for me...

• JeanK

Hello @INFOTRADE,

Great to see you posting for the first time!

Could you please provide us with a screenshot of the error message?

This could help a lot.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• INFOTRADE
    edited July 2022
  • JeanK

Thank you for sharing the screenshot.

Is this happening with all the files, or just with this one?

Community Manager

• INFOTRADE

Usualy files on the NAS drive X: , problem is random some work some not. Fresh mirror copy of NAS server is on M: drive (HDD Portable) and it works fine with the same files no problem at all.

• David_Georg0pl_Ultra
    edited July 2022

• From one day to the next, I lost the ability to transfer files. It still connects, but when I try to transfer, it responds: 'an error occurred'. My procedure did not change. My phone had an unrelated update (Chrome). I have tried turning off and back on the program, the phone, the desktop and wifi. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program. Why is it no longer working? How do I make it work again? Thank you in advance!

• ttteo123
    ttteo123 Posts: 4

• JeanK

Hello @ttteo123,

Great to see you posting for the first time!

Small question, are you using the TeamViewer file transfer feature to export the files?

/JeanK

Community Manager

• JeanK

Hello @trishsdn,

Welcome to the TeamViewer Community!

Have you tried to rename the file?

/JeanK

Community Manager

• ttteo123
    ttteo123 Posts: 4
    edited July 2022

Yes i used teamviewer transfer file feature, all this while no problem, but recently this remote computer with id [removed per Community Guidelines] has above error mgs my id is [removed per Community Guidelines] tq

• JeanK

Have you tried to update TeamViewer on both sides of the connection?

/JeanK

Community Manager

• trishsdn
    trishsdn Posts: 5

Just tried that, I received the same error message.

• JeanK

Is TeamViewer up-to-date on both sides of the connection?

Community Manager

• trishsdn

Yes, up to date on both sides. As previously mentioned, I can transfer directly from my PC's hard drive with no problems. I only get the message above when trying to send from my flash drive.

• JeanK

I'd like to know if this is a flash drive or TeamViewer issue.

The best way to find it out is if you could try with a different flash drive and check if it is working as expected.

Can you do this?

/JeanK

Community Manager

• trishsdn

Yes, I've tried this also. I asked a fellow co-worker to try and send me a file from her flash drive on a completely different PC and she received the same message. I believe it is a TViewer issue.

• DMavidson
    DMavidson Posts: 4

All of a sudden, I am unable to transfer files to a remote computer.

Error message as follows:

There was an error on the server for the file "drive:\filepath\filename.ext"

Error: The file system reported an error.

Additional information: (2) The system cannot find the file specified.

Files exist at specified location on local computer. I attempted the file transfer from my desktop and laptop .. same problem.

In case it was an AV/Firewall problem, I temporarily disabled both .. no luck.

Any help will be appreciated.

• I got the same error when trying to copy a file from a network (file server) drive on a remote computer to a local disk on my local computer.

After first copying the file to the local disk on the remote computer, it worked.

Looks like the TeamViewer file transfer doesn't handle disks correctly unless they are local.

• Justin
    Justin Posts: 802 [Former Staff]

Hi @pellis777 and @BenAtOrangePepper,

do you both have the latest TeamViewer version installed? Currently, it is 15.31.5.

If not, please find the download link here: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows/

Please let me know if this issue persists.

Best,

Justin

German Community Moderator

• pellis777
    pellis777 Posts: 5
    edited July 2022

Hi Justin,

Yes, I already had TeamViewer_Setup_x64.exe 15.31.5 on my new 64bit WIN11 PC - updating was the first thing I tried. The problem persists (I've just tried it again).

While you're in touch (you've provided email support to me before, assuming you're the same Justin):

I'm finding the screen refresh doesn't work. I use TeamViewer to communicate with a WIN7 PC sitting right next to my WIN11 PC, linked over wifi, but most of the time the Microsoft Windows Media Center screen showing on the WIN7 PC just breaks up, as showing in the .png file copied in here (see the WMC screen sliced vertically near the left side, and other items not cleared after using the Screen Refresh operation (when I try to take a screen shot showing "screen refresh" it only shows the indication that it's tried to clear the screen, copied in further below). Occasioonally it works well.

The PC is top-end gaming spec with 64 GB RAM and AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor, 3701 Mhz processor (full spec below).

Any advice, please, Justin?

Best regards - Paul

OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro

Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name PAULS-PC

System Manufacturer System manufacturer

System Model System Product Name

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU SKU

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor, 3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0309, 16/08/2021

SMBIOS Version 3.3

Embedded Controller Version 255.255

BIOS Mode UEFI

BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.

BaseBoard Product ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING WIFI II

BaseBoard Version Rev X.0x

Platform Role Desktop

Secure Boot State On

PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United Kingdom

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.22000.778"

Username PAULS-PC\Paul

Time Zone GMT Summer Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 63.9 GB

Available Physical Memory 48.2 GB

Total Virtual Memory 73.4 GB

Available Virtual Memory 50.1 GB

Page File Space 9.50 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Kernel DMA Protection Off

Virtualisation-based security Not enabled

Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View

Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware No

Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

• JeanK
    Answer βœ“

@trishsdn I've some news for you. πŸ™‚

This is a know issue in the current version. Our dev team has fixed the problem and will deploy the fix in the next update.

So basically, you'll have to wait for the next release, update your TeamViewer clients to the latest version, and you should be able to transfer the files from your flash drive without any issues.

Have a great day!

/JeanK

Community Manager

• JeanK
  • Hi!

I tried to transfer a file between computers. I drag the file onto the remote desktop, and it just springs back. I then looked up how to do it, and the article I found says to go to "Extras/Files" in the TeamViewer menu bar. MY menubar only says "Extras". I did enable file sharing on my remote computer. I do not know what else to do to allow me to exchange files between my two computers. Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

(I'm on Version 15.19.4)

• Hello .. I just wanted to post an update to let you know that my file transfer issue has been resolved and is back working normally as it was previously.

• Valeria2
    Valeria2 Posts: 604 Moderator β˜‘

Hi @trishsdn

Thank you for your message.

We are glad that the issue with the file transfer has been solved for you.πŸ‘οΈ

Remember to contact us whenever you need it, we are here for you.

Have a nice day!

Valeria

Moderadora de la Comunidad en EspaΓ±ol/ Spanish Community Moderator

• Hello,

Problem is back again :(

When TEAMVIEW 32bit update to version 15.34.4, same problem with file transfer (no description could be retrieved when I try to receive file) is present.

I try to send file from my computer and I get another type of message that file I chosen does not exist on path i was chosen!

Same problem on other two computers using same version 32bit 15.34.4....

I try file transfer with the 64bit version instaled on remote computer, send and receive work with no problem!

Saince my needs is most for 32bit version use its a BIG PROBLEM for me and others I guess....