How to get started

Options
JoeBilich
JoeBilich Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited June 2023 in Mobile

This seems pretty basic, but just doing installs and following (I thing) the directions isn't working.

Simply put, I want to be able to see and control my mom's iPad (not local, this would be over the internet) from my Windows PC. She often gets into a problem on the iPad and can't get out, and as she is not good at following technical directions, remote control seems to be the answer.

I want to set up my Windows PC to be the "expert", then do a setup and test session using my own iPhone as a test platform receiving support. Once that works I will talk my mom through the process for getting her iPad set up.

What exactly do I need to install and do on each device?

Answers

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,989 Community Manager 🌍
    Options

Hi @JoeBilich,

Thank you for your message, and welcome to the TeamViewer Community! 🙌

On your iPhone, you need to install QuickSupport via the Apple Store.

On your Windows PC, you need to install the full client via our website: https://www.teamviewer.com/download/.

The QuickSupport will display an ID. You can connect to this ID by following these instructions: Connect via ID and password

Let me know if you have any further questions! I'll be happy to assist.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• JoeBilich
    Options

Thanks for the response, but I am still struggling. After multiple attempts, I got so I could have the remote device request support, which sends me an email, which allows me to launch TeamViewer and attempt to support them. The direct link to the sessions does not work. However, I was able to go in by my TeamViewer id and password, then type their device id, and get to a point where I could SEE on my PC what the remote device (an iPhone) was doing.

However, I could not CONTROL the device from my PC - I would need to TELL the person on the other end what to do. While it helps to see the screen, trying to tell my mom what button or icon to push is just not going to be very efficient. Am I missing something? To control an iPhone, do I need to be on my own iPhone as the controlling device? I tried that, but could not OPERATE my mom's remote iphone from my own iphone

• JoeBilich
    Options

After some poking around, I see an icon labeled "remote control" with arrows going right and left. When I click it I get a black screen that has a message indicating something like "this device can only do screen sharing" (not sure exactly the text, as I lost that screen navigating here). Is that a device limitation or some kind of limit on the TeamViewer version I have installed?

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,989 Community Manager 🌍
    Options

Hello @JoeBilich,

Thanks for getting back to me!

Controlling iOS devices is not possible. Only screen-sharing is possible.

This is why you could only see the remote screen and not control it.

/JeanK

Community Manager