TeamViewer icon missing from System Tray on Windows

Options
SaucyKnave
SaucyKnave Posts: 7 ✭✭

Windows 11, TeamViewer v15.53.6. I recently updated TeamViewer on my laptop, and since then the TeamViewer icon in the system tray (now called the "Notification Center") on Windows is missing. It'll reappear if I manually kill the TeamViewer application/process and restart it, but then it's gone the next time I restart my computer.

I have not yet completely wiped out TeamViewer and reinstalled it, but I was wondering if anyone in the community (or support if you're listening!) has run across this and has a fix, or ideas I can try.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Solutions4
    Solutions4 Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

It may not be your answer but try clicking on taskbar, Taskbar settings, Other system tray icons and turn on for TeamViewer.

This will display the TeamViewer icon separate to the Notification Center. It may or may not assist you in determining if TeamViewer is running.

Answers

• Solutions4
    Solutions4 Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

It may not be your answer but try clicking on taskbar, Taskbar settings, Other system tray icons and turn on for TeamViewer.

This will display the TeamViewer icon separate to the Notification Center. It may or may not assist you in determining if TeamViewer is running.

• SaucyKnave
    Options

HA! Of course, I just got to work and turned on my laptop and guess what I see in the system tray? Tsk.

In any case, thanks for pointing out the Taskbar settings. Did Microsoft introduce the new shift away from the "System Tray" in Windows 8 or was it 8.1? Either way, I keep forgetting about the controls to hide or surface icons there. I'll remember this for when the icon is just gone and see if I can't make it come back by toggling this control.

• Grisu70
    Grisu70 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

Hi,

i had the same problem and it is not a settings of windows 11, i presume.

When i close teamviewer, teamviewer was still running but not showing in the system tray.

In order to have it again, i had to :

• switcht back to older GUI,
    • restart teamviewer,
    • enanle new GUI
    • restart teamviewer

now when i close teamviewer, the icon is still in the tray

Fabrizio

• SaucyKnave
    Options

Thanks for the comment, Fabrizio. That gives me another thing to try the next time the icon disappears. Do you have any idea/guess as to what causes the icon to disappear in the first place?

• SaucyKnave
    Options

Well, I may have to change the accepted answer to Fabrizio's. I just booted up my laptop at home, and the icon is missing in the system tray. I went into Taskbar Settings and toggled the setting to hide/display the TeamViewer icon, and it made no difference! I'm going to try restarting the explorer.exe process, but thanks to Fabrizio's comment, I'm thinking this is a bug in the latest update.

• Tegoide
    Tegoide Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited May 10
    Options

Hi dears, same issue here. I tried your solution but didn't work for me. At each restart of W11, icon becomes invisible despite TW is running

• SaucyKnave
    Options

I think I've narrowed it down a pinch. When my laptop goes to sleep, the icon is lost. Or rather, when it wakes up from sleep, the icon is gone. Starting the laptop up from shutdown (and I'm using Fast Startup, so we all know that means my laptop doesn't really shutdown as in the past), the icon will be there. If I let my laptop fall asleep, however, the icon will be missing when it wakes up.

• fthiele96
    fthiele96 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

I have the same problem: After starting Windows 11 23H2 the TeamViewer icon didn't show up in the system tray / notification center, but the "TeamViewer_Service.exe" is still running in the background. "Taskbar settings" → "Other system tray icons" → "TeamViewer" App is enabled. Uninstall and Reinstall of TeamViewer (Version 15.53.6) didn't work. The Button "Start TeamViewer with Windows" is also enabled in the settings.

Update: Just installed TeamViewer Update Version 15.53.7

Problem still exists.

• fairlane32
    fairlane32 Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Options

I'm also experiencing this disappearing tray icon. even with 15.35.7 it's still doing it under win11. jeez……

• CCattron
    CCattron Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options

I am having the same problem. Version 15.53.7

• fairlane32
    fairlane32 Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Options

If you're running the Host, you can't do anything to check for updates like you can you're running the full client either.