TeamViewer kills low spec CPU by using Edge Webview2 by default

Not a question - trying to help other who have spent hours trying to figure out why Edge Webview2 is hogging CPU and trying to disable it.

I remotely logged into my relatives low power windows 10 laptop to find why it was very unresponsive.

It turns out that it was TeamVierers use of Edge WebView2 by default that was causing th issue.

A big thanks to @glenvee who gives the answer here:

The new Teamviewer UI uses Microsoft Edge WebView2, which comes as part of Edge, although it can be installed separately without Edge as far as I know. In Teamviewer Options> Advanced, all the way at the bottom is a heading "IoT Options" which has a checkbox for "Use Microsoft Edge WebView2 for Remote AppControl"

(I am using the classic interface)

Edge WebView2 unchecked at

Settings/Advanced Settings/(open advanced Settings)

Unchecked Use Webview2 at bottom (IoT options)

======

Laptop responsiveness is now perfect for the uses the computer is used for.

I am really not impressed that TeamViewer wasted so many hours of my life.

Answers

• ColinK
    ColinK Posts: 7
    edited July 15

This now is a question.

Even after unchecking Edge WebView2, after a restart it is still being used by TeamViewer - though with much less CPU resource.

What can I do to prevent the use of Edge Webview2?

• ColinK
    ColinK Posts: 7

No response.

Further Query

Is it possible that Teamviewer was automatically updated to the new interface? If Yes, how can I prevent this in future?

In any case, somehow the computer with this Webview2 issue was updated to the new version (which is working fine on my desktop) was updated to the new version. Even with Webview2 turned off Teamviewer was still using WebView2 and hogging CPU resource.

I switched back to the classic interface and the problem stopped. I am concerned that if any auto update occies I will be back to to the same problem.

Advice please.

• patrickroque001
    patrickroque001 Posts: 3
    edited August 16

I also found out that you can't delete or rename the EXE file for Edge Web View while Windows and TeamViewer is running. The EXE also keeps restrating everytime you kill the task. I tried to shutdown WIndows and access the Windows-installed system drive on another PC without booting that so I can rename or delete the Web View EXE file without any resistance. Or instead of shutting Windows OS, kill first the TeamViewer EXE files repeatedly on Task Manager until it disappears. Unfortunately TeamViewer got stuck to Starting Teamviewer message after re-booting Windows, thus making it non-functional without the CPU-hungry Microsoft Edge software. Even without TeamViewer, running other programs relying on Edge Web View also degrades your computer performance.