Error: You established and aborted connections too frequently?

Comments

• tdenson
    tdenson Posts: 15 ✭✭

Just hit this problem again. Trying to help out a friend who was just about to go out. She switched on her computer and I attempted a connection which failed of course. I then hit connect a few times while waiting for the machine to come online and sure enough I got the message saying I had connected too frequently and was barred access. At no point did I even attempt to put in a password. She had to go out so I couldn't help her. What a ridiculous state of affairs. Exactly what is this preventing. I did not brute force the password attempt, I didn't even have one attempt. 4 or 5 attempts to remotely access the machine in a space of a couple of minutes is hardly a DDOS attack. Why on earth won't you do something about ths TV ?

• Seriously this is your reply? I have 2000+ liceenses and am considering droping this product because of this.

1: The rate at which I am click is not what a Brute force attack would be doing.

Okay maybe you can't come up with a better way of dealing with this, but you should eb able to.

2: The lack of definite time. 

Just fix it, this is not security nor technical. Fix it you have many requests.

3: Rethink your security. 

This is not an industry wide issue. Look at what others are doing. Your customers are asking for better from you.

• TVuser001
    TVuser001 Posts: 2 ✭✭

TV,  this is really frustrating , espeically when dealing with remote support + network engeinerring type scenarios.

Can you guys please,  either:

1- use a more intelligent system to detect/block bruteforcers - (ie IF you are logged in a paid acct, AND use 2fa, AND are using the same IP you usualy use, THEN relax these BF detection a small amount)

2- provide the amount of time we need to wait- (make it random if you trying to avoid BFers timing their attacks).

the current system, for paid users, is unacceptable - (for free users, i get it)

thanks

• tdenson

You are wasting your time. Nobody in TV support takes any notice of this thread, it is an utter disgrace.

• angryhobbiest
    angryhobbiest Posts: 4 ✭✭

teamviewer will never fix the bug they think a highly flawed brute force protection system will never be a problem for legit users because they asume all people have rock solid ethernet-only connections(even on the mobile app which is false 99% of the time) and the servers and clients are on gigabit internet and never peak over 10% cpu usage like their perfect testing setup

this thread will never be listened to wil us simply asking for a "reset brute force lockout" local button or "disable brute force protection" checkbox

honestly a reset button is all we ask it can even be required to be locally clicked by the user we are trying to help

heck most of us want just a time value displayed perhaps with a random lockout each time to prevent scripting but no more than a wait of 3 hours perhaps 0.5-3 hours at random

although I care little about ddos/brute force protection as a good passowrd should always be enough of a minimum security so I ask for an "unstable connection/machine" checkbox to force loose brute force rules thereby allowing all failed connections that never reach a password prompt to be ignored in the attack counter

• KulGery
    KulGery Posts: 2

I'm not understand, how can anyone hack the system, if host not reachable.
    But I need to connect relatively urgent to this host, to solve local issue. Or install urgent update.
    So I try to connect frequently, maybe the host will be available.

And It's very annoying thet within a minute it tells me I can't join, only after a while.

• tdenson

@KulGery wrote:

I'm not understand, how can anyone hack the system, if host not reachable.
    But I need to connect relatively urgent to this host, to solve local issue. Or install urgent update.
    So I try to connect frequently, maybe the host will be available.

And It's very annoying thet within a minute it tells me I can't join, only after a while.

You have to understand that TV support as far as this thread is concerned have their fingers in their ears and are going "La La La". 

We all agree it is very frustrating and ridiculous, but do they listen ?

• BlameYou
    BlameYou Posts: 1

The protection is used to protect TeamViewer's own servers, not users' equipment whatever are licensed or not.  This should be the real official answer.

• JimAK
    JimAK Posts: 8 ✭✭

TeamView Support team

This issue has been open for over 3.5 years. At the very least a software fix should have been provided letting us know how many seconds or minutes have to pass before we can again remotely connect.

Can you explain why this hasn't been provided yet and who we need to email to get it escalated?

Thank you

James.

• tdenson

The situation hasn't changed but we all seem to be getting tired of complaining. Perhaps this is TV's modus operandum for support. "La La La" until we go away. It's happened twice to me in the last couple of days, clicking connect a number of times because the person I'm trying to help has a lousy internet connection. I never even got to the password prompt. So I say "I'll call you back but I don't know when" - just how professional does that sound ?

• Ramrunner
    Ramrunner Posts: 1
    edited May 2021

Yep - I'm a reseller and this kind of **bleep**(and other stupid things like not allowing more than one 3 device license on the same account, and simply stupid pricing) is why I don't sell it unless a customer specifically asks.

Teamviewer has never understood it's customers and never will. They have an awesome product that should be making them billions but **bleep** too many people off.

I say just don't use it.

• pocwiard
    pocwiard Posts: 2 ✭✭

I am using TeamViewer for professional support to the customers. Often they have intermittent internet connection. I have to click many times to connect and often get disconnected.

The nonsense message "you established connection too frequently" when working with intermittent connection is such a pain and really limits the use of TeamViewer for me. One of the worst things you could do, to stop your customers from being able to connect.

Such a design flaw.

• JonnyGators
    JonnyGators Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited June 2021

This "feature" put me into a difficult situation where I had an end user on the phone I couldn't help due to you blocking my attempts to connect. The frequent aborted connections? Your **bleep** service failing to connect in the first place. Then I finally get in, get back to helping - another drop - and you block me.

Absolutely unacceptable for your "features" to block me from doing my job!

Security efforts like these only impair the legit end users - you make things so secure, only a hacker can actually do anything!

• Corona312
    Corona312 Posts: 1
    edited June 2021

We are having this issue as well "you established and aborted connections too frequently. Please wait for a while before the next connection.

What is the amount of time to be able to reconnect?

Like others requested please use a different approach to blocking connections such as CAPTCHA, we are a new paid customer and already having this issue.

We never had this issue with "Third Party Product", but can see us having this issue more frequently with more use.

• joefox97
    joefox97 Posts: 1
    edited July 2021

Going to ring in and agree with everyone else. TeamViewer's defensive posture about this poorly designed and implemented feature is inexcusable. You wrote **bleep** poor software; that's fine -- just go back and do a better job and implement the feature a different way. The current solution is embarrassingly bad -- and sufficient to cause us to go find alternative solutions if you refuse to change it.

• didikunz
    didikunz Posts: 1
    edited August 2021

HELLO SUPPORT!!!

This tread is 4 (in words FOUR) years old and the problem persistes. Is anybody at TeamViewer interested in keeping their customers? Can we get rid of that **bleep**? Or at least get an option to disable that for a given account? It is a EXTREMLY ANOYING THING. If security keeps you from supporting your clients it is a bad thing, that destroys the reputation of TeamViewer and of the one trying to give support to a client (me).

Does anybody care? Interessiert das bei Euch jemand?

• AlenaC
    AlenaC Posts: 915 Moderator

Thank you all for your posts,

please keep in mind that as @Jeremy explained on the first page this is a security measure.

If you have an idea to change it or feature request, I would recommend putting it on our ideas hub. As soon as any of you publish it, others will be able to upvote it. Our developers check this section regularly looking for the most voted.

Thanks in advance

Best, Alena

Spanish Community Moderator :)

• Andy_W
    Andy_W Posts: 1

The real question is why the number is not exact, surely the timeout restriction has a particular value when, there's no way it can be a range, or if it is, that's quite possibly the worst implementation i've ever seen.

@AlenaC That post was lacking as I've mentioned above. It seems even you guys don't know what the correct timeout value is, so who does? Can we have some input from one of the actual engineers? Somebody did post a solution, if the device doing the connecting is a trusted device, then it should not trigger the lockout, since it's a trusted source. I can understand if you're being hit by thousands of different ip addresses, then yes, it makes sense to prevent them from brute forcing; but what's the point in having a trusted device if the system treats it as hostile anyway?

• Johancgfh
    Johancgfh Posts: 1
    edited March 2022

I can not believe that this is a feature of TeamViewer, it's beyond insane. Infuriating and insulting.

I need to connect to my mothers computer, to assist her in ordering her food for the next week.

I was waiting for her to start her TeamViewer, meanwhile I was trying to connect on my side, pressing Connect again and again, waiting for it to work. And then I got hit with this **bleep**. I NEED TO HELP MY MOTHER ORDER HER FOOD!

You have ONE JOB, TeamViewer. And you are preventing me from doing mine. Who is in control of these computers, and this software? I AM! **bleep** ME! Don't tell me I can not do what I want to do, ON MY OWN **bleep** COMPUTER!

My patience is REALLY wearing thin with you guys.

And no I don't want to raise a support request or whatever **bleep** it is that needs to be done. YOU DO IT. Fix your **bleep**. This is UNACCEPTABLE.

• BuscusDude
    BuscusDude Posts: 1

The excuse that this is to protect from DDOSing or whatever they find is absolute NFT (Another word for shenanigan). I sit across my work partner and I wanted to connect to his PC. His TeamViewer was open, and he was waiting for me to connect, however I get the stupid "Connection could not be established make sure you are connected to the Internet or restart your TeamViewer" or something along those lines. So, we both restarted our TeamViewers and still couldn't connect. Out of frustration, I spammed the connect button and got the timeout. This is bizarre, because not only are we connected to the same Internet, HAVE THE SAME IP, same every network configuration you can think of, because we are both on the same Terminal Server. So, please, explain to me how and why is this possible?

• hatim
    hatim Posts: 1

So this is DDOS prevention by denying us service? If I'm not able to connect to a computer with connection issues, how can I help them? If at least connecting for few minutes and disconnect, I can still help them, until I get this DDOS feature designed to block me from accessing, although I already have MFA enabled and always login from the same company static IP address. This feature need to be redesigned like some suggested long time ago, using Caption or if MFA is enabled request another token, but blocking and denying service is not a security solution, it is crippling function of the application. Or at least, make it so the customer can disable the feature, and accept the risk.

• First time this happened to me. Can't believe my eyes this is not a bug, but a feature. You don't even let me know how long I'm supposed to wait before I can try again? I'm really furious now.

• SteveJS
    SteveJS Posts: 1
    edited December 2022

Why do you keep referring to a post that doesn't anwer people's questions? EVERYONE understands it's a security measure, but the fact that it's a security measure doesn't mean that it's an acceptable one. People have provided you with tons of solutions on how to improve this security measure but you keep ignoring it and just keep parroting the same dumb reply.

Instead of acting like a [Removed as per Community Guidelines], explain to people why TeamViewer refuse to improve this clearly lacking security measure that only causes problems for your paying users. You should personally feel ashamed for playing along in your employers dumb charade and if you personally are seriously believing y'all are handling this issue well... Well then I agree with the earlier poster who asked you all to go somethingsomething yourselves.

• let me reiterate what everyone else has confirmed. there are mulitple ways to identify that this is not a brute force attack. it is incredibly frustrating when dealing with a buggy computer and accessing through easy access channel.

is there anyone at teamviewer listening to all the comments going back 6 years?

• OngoPH
    OngoPH Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited March 2023

This is not good its really humper the whole operation of specific users.

How to bypass this **bleep** feature

• SAMEER_99
    SAMEER_99 Posts: 1

Best way is to stop using Teamviewer. There are many other cool Remote Access applications out there. Try them instead

• bizarrepanic
    bizarrepanic Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited April 2023

Way to go TV! love to see such an annoying use of a "lazy fix". this happened twice in the last week with crews in the field that had poor connections. Had an entire operation on standby for "a while".

[removed per Community Guidelines]

• bizarrepanic
    bizarrepanic Posts: 2 ✭✭

I came here hoping to find a work around just to find other paying customers like me get ignored and shrugged off.

I've been a paying customer since teamviewer 9

after this year is up I'm on the hunt for something else!

• angryhobbiest
    angryhobbiest Posts: 4 ✭✭

this has been an ongoing and unacceptable problem since teamviewer was invented

it counts every connection, even ones that fail out because they set the dam connection delay too low for non-cooperate internet ping(cable ping is just garbage) as "aborted" despite me wanting to shove down it's throat that: I NEVER ABORT CONNECTIONS

I think the people who code this software don't actually have any idea how RCON works, like not a single clue

see when real people using real RCON, you have to deal with MANY sub-optimal factors that can be cumulative

your connection can be slower than a real snail(not like that movie turbo), you can have multiple layers of modems that are still docsis3.0 ping, you can be dealing with a friend/travel that is over the atlantic pipeline increasing ping massively because of the speed of light, you can be dealing with wifi latency on one(or both) ends(and no"plug in ethernet" is just not always possible), and finally you could be dealing with device lag or even windows deciding it is somehow a good idea to page out teamviewer from memory despite never reaching the outdated 80% commit level or a software known to be on standby so not being actively used is not actually idle and therefore pageworthy

so basically this software is not worthy of a penny of your money ESPECIALLY for professional(commercial) use as real companies DO NOT HAVE TIME TO WASTE WAITING FOR A GOOD CONNECTION

I literally just tried to connect to BOTH my home file server AND my main gaming desktop, both idle without any known memory leak that would fill ram in under 10 days, and BOTH say "online" and BOTH actually auto-aborted without my consent to abort

in fact there is no setting for "bad ping tolerance" which you'd think an RCON software with anti-brute force routines would have a setting to avoid false brute force triggers from spotty wifi, but nope, you basically have to have fiber level ping and be within walking distance of the remote device which basically defeats the purpose of RCON

and windows vpn+RDP is just garbage as it is so stupid to set up and even then is supposed to be pro-only

people have reasons to rcon into a home server when visiting others, period

this means that this software would not be my paid professional choice ever until they get their act together and either allow "unsafe disabling of brute force lockouts" or just add a common sense delay to connection timeouts, heck what if I actually wanted to do some silly stuff for a youtube video and actually was able to visit the ISS and try to rcon into my home pc, in a purely individual content creator role, possibly even paying for pro, only to find my orbital ping is not at all possible to be low enough to RCON

the ISS can have fairly stable video, even acceptable video calling, but I can't RCON my home media server in orbit to listen to one of my audiobooks despite having enough speed and stability to do a video call to my spouse?

honestly RCON is terribly misunderstood and misclassified as something only IT guys and companies use, if I am a gamer(like MANY PEOPLE ARE) I might decide (as I did)to host a game world "dedicated server". my friends can easily connect on my sh**ty internet and play well, but then I visit my parents for a week(as I do) and expect my server to remain powered(like it is on it's massive UPS) but we all know game servers are never 100% stable and need moderation and rebooting sometimes

so what do I do when teh server is down, I have absolutely no way outside of a "pro-only" activity to using in my decidedly non-pro setup? I run RCON with a hacked license(as there is no way to operate it in "personal mode") or I use TeamViewer personal edition

but that implies that the software is actually capable of tolerating the real-world connection woes of the only setups that exist, imperfect ones

this software, like far too many these days, is configured based on optimal test cases that seldom if ever exist in normal environments, liely assuming the latest gen of cable modem or even full fiber internet service(very very rare) on both ends, and including full lan connection from device to internet to device(rarely ever the normal case) and a router that has absolutely no lag from NAT(most are worthless garbage or were actually quality and expensive bot with fatal design flaws) so compounding the issue of overly sensitive brute-force lockouts classing any connection that never gets a response(basically not factually classable as "aborted") as "connected and aborted" and then the fact that it expects a reply in 1/4 of the worst ping time most people tend to deal with regularly you get a ton of failed, not aborted, connections that are classed as "attacks" and not what they are, a frustrated user desperate to download a file they forgot from a home server, clicking "try again" until it treats them like an attacker for not having good ping